Tumblebug Question?

deidre1976

Be that there is only 2 Tumblebugs left in the U.S., why was the ride remove? And was it scrapped or is it in storage somewhere?

The Tumblebug was open from 1972 to 1985 and came from Coney Island in Cincinnati. While I'm not sure exactly why it was removed, I suspect due to declining popularity. As the ride had been built in 1925 originally at Coney Island, I'm doubtful it was relocated or is in storage. I would assume it was demolished.

Indeed you do. When you do get to ride it, please know they used to operate about three times faster than they do now, and with no restraints. The last one I rode that way was at Conneaut Lake about 15 years ago....

Not unlike how most Whips, Scramblers, Octopi, Zippers and even many coasters have been significantly slowed/tamed.

Those first four (and coasters before individual lapbars and seat dividers) often gave young people the chance to 'accidentally' be thrown into the lap/side of their companion, contact that was seldom otherwise allowed for many of them back then.

Tumblebugs did this particularly well, as some here can attest!

Indeed you do. When you do get to ride it, please know they used to operate about three times faster than they do now, and with no restraints. The last one I rode that way was at Conneaut Lake about 15 years ago....

Not unlike how most Whips, Scramblers, Octopi, Zippers and even many coasters have been significantly slowed/tamed.

Those first four (and coasters before individual lapbars and seat dividers) often gave young people the chance to 'accidentally' be thrown into the lap/side of their companion, contact that was seldom otherwise allowed for many of them back then.

Haha, yes, if you were small and/or skinny, you would Sliiide allover. If wearing shorts, you'd have to wait til after a rain, or the hot metal would cause a burn when you slid

Yes, Kennywood's is turtle themed for a reason! :) But their Bayern Kurve makes it forgivable!

The other ride at Coney that gave people the chance for " companionship" was The Lost River. ( Or so I heard-I was just a kid then.)

I too miss the Tumblebug at KI in the original classic Oktoberfest area. But I have ridden the Tumblebug at Kennywood many times. We venture up there and our whole party takes one car and rides it the classical smashing way. As for the Lost River, that scared the crap out of me as a kid at Coney. Ride into dark tunnel ride with nothing, then out and what seemed straight down! Loved that ride.