Dress Code

m2raptor

This past Thursday, in five minutes I counted at least seven women who changed into their swimsuits in the dry park (I hope in a restroom), locked their stuff, including their street clothes, in one of the $2 single-use lockers next to White Water Canyon, and headed for the train with the stated intent of heading to the waterpark. Now, I understand that $10 is a bit overpriced for a locker, but that's still not allowed. I looked around for an employee, but didn't see one, so I just ignored it. I never saw whether they were allowed on the train or not, as I headed back into the woods to ride WWC. I would have complained to GR out my way out for dinner, but I forgot about it until I saw this thread.

Well it's good that you ignored it because it was none of your business. That's a lot of the reason our nation is in trouble - people cannot keep their nose where it belongs. They have no right to charge $15 (before the deposit is returned) for a locker. It's not only ridiculous, it's irresponsible.

Kings Island is a business in a free country built on capitalism. They have the right to charge whatever they want to for a locker, just like I have the right to choose to not rent a locker because I feel the price is too high. That does NOT, however, give people the right to change into swimsuits in the dry park and violate the dress code just to save $8, because while this great nation may be built on capitalism, it is most certainly NOT built on anarchy.

Yeah, I know it's the rules you can't be in the dry park in only a swimsuit but....it was a smart thing on their part! If they changed in the nearest restroom to the train, it's not that much of a walk for them through the park in only swimsuits. And considering they were dressed appropriately to go to the waterpark, I think they should've been allowed to ride the train. You can't fit stuff for 7 people in one locker...so they saved more than $8. Smart choice :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This past Thursday, in five minutes I counted at least seven women who changed into their swimsuits in the dry park (I hope in a restroom), locked their stuff, including their street clothes, in one of the $2 single-use lockers next to White Water Canyon, and headed for the train with the stated intent of heading to the waterpark. Now, I understand that $10 is a bit overpriced for a locker, but that's still not allowed. I looked around for an employee, but didn't see one, so I just ignored it. I never saw whether they were allowed on the train or not, as I headed back into the woods to ride WWC. I would have complained to GR out my way out for dinner, but I forgot about it until I saw this thread.

Well it's good that you ignored it because it was none of your business. That's a lot of the reason our nation is in trouble - people cannot keep their nose where it belongs. They have no right to charge $15 (before the deposit is returned) for a locker. It's not only ridiculous, it's irresponsible.

Kings Island is a business in a free country built on capitalism. They have the right to charge whatever they want to for a locker, just like I have the right to choose to not rent a locker because I feel the price is too high. That does NOT, however, give people the right to change into swimsuits in the dry park and violate the dress code just to save $8, because while this great nation may be built on capitalism, it is most certainly NOT built on anarchy.

Yeah, I know it's the rules you can't be in the dry park in only a swimsuit but....it was a smart thing on their part! If they changed in the nearest restroom to the train, it's not that much of a walk for them through the park in only swimsuits. And considering they were dressed appropriately to go to the waterpark, I think they should've been allowed to ride the train. You can't fit stuff for 7 people in one locker...so they saved more than $8. Smart choice :)

Is violating the park rules smart? As for fitting 7 people's stuff in one locker, I should have made it clear that this was not a single group of 7, but rather individual women independent of each other. I don't think any more than two of them were part of the same group.

Pick N Choosers!

TBH I look at it this way. If a family wants to go out to their car and change to their swim suits, and use their car as a locker, I don't care. They usually have a towel covering up some parts anddd they usually just go to BB after they change....

I don't really care if a group of people try to save a BUCK using 2 dollar all day lockers instead of 15 bucks BB lockers. I mean come on, you don't know how much they paid in gas/food/tickets/hotel.

Maybe their just trying to save a buck so they can spend their extra 13 dollars on a game or maybe even buying a slingshot ticket. Are you really going to get mad at someone for trying to save money??

This is a general opinion, including the park and many other things in life

There are many rules for many things. Many of those rules are broken every minute of every day.

Jaywalking is a crime. So is littering. If police concentrated on those crimes instead of patrolling high violent areas- their talents are being wasted. Those in rule enforcement do have to pick and choose which fights are worth fighting due to time constraints. There are never enough rule enforcement officers for every rulebreaker. That said, is it those in rule enforement that are not doing their jobs that is the real issue, or do people just not care enough to actually follow the rules?

Perception also plays a big role in discussions like this.

One person may perceive the rule to allow bikini tops/ short shirts in the park, another does not. I have only seen a small handful of guests not following the dress code, and it has only been near the water rides or train areas.

As KI enthusiasts we know the rules rather well. If we believe other guests know the rules like we do, we are only fooling ourselves.

To be honest, as long as nothing inappropriate is showing, what's it matter? I know people don't find swimsuits appropriate for everything but hey, they're not naked lol. Just saying.

I agree with this. If a swimsuit is appropriate in the water park where there are kids and others around, why is it suddenly inappropriate several hundred yards away at the train/walkway to the waterpark area? I do understand the park has a dress code and frankly I don't care one way or another whether they get in trouble because I rarely utilize the water park anyways, but somehow I think KI has better things to do than take complaints from busy bodies who aren't being harmed by seeing a person in a bathing suit, but want to complain about it anyways just to get someone in "trouble". Having a rule and being able to enforce it are two very different things. I can assure you that KI is well aware that people are doing it.

It's a little like if someone was speeding or jay walking. Would you call the police to report them? Probably not. It is their responsibility to enforce the rules, not other people. If someone had a weapon or there was actual danger or someone was being otherwise harmed by rule breaking, then obviously it would be a different story.

^^ I think you hit the nail on the head, tggrr.

Picking and choosing is part of their job. More than likely you've heard that parents have to pick their battles. If you yell at a child for getting crayon on the carpet, and spilling a drink, and breaking a pot, then how is that child supposed to judge true severity when they're yelled at the same way for walking into the street? If folks at Kings Island are admonished by park officials for every little thing, then bringing in a bottle of pop would come across as just as severe as line jumping. I think we can all agree those two things are very different.

The problem, I think, is that no one is enforcing either. And it's one thing to pick and choose which rules require more enforcement. But it's a whole other problem when you pick and choose which groups are subject to enforcement. As I said, a group of blatant line-cutters with a dozen reporters got away without so much as a warning because they were tall, loud, young, and African American. If my group of friends had done the same thing, we would've been called out immediately and reprimanded by the other people in line and park officials. I have no doubt of that.

I think that it's unfair to ask seasonal employees who are cleaning midways or emptying trash-cans to also be the park police and call out line jumpers or litterers. That puts a tremendous amount of responsibility on them. But I do think that at least half of the employees out in the park at any given time should have radios with which they can communicate with security guards whose job it is to take care of those situations. To me, it's entirely fair that the responsibility of monitoring guest conduct be forwarded to them, since that is what they're paid for.

I have been to 13 different parks in the past two years, and I must say that KI, by far, is the worst when it comes to enforcing the rules. From the smoking areas, to line jumping, to the dress code, etc. etc. etc. compared to other parks, security is virtually nonexistent at KI.

I agree, the smoking is the one they really fail at enforcing. They will say something in lines, if they catch it. I rarely see anything said to those walking around with a lit cig in their hands or mouth. I've had to say something myself, and that's NOT my job as a guest!

I don't know if we can really say that ignoring in-park smoking is mandated from a corporate level...

But we can certainly say one thing: if those in power believed that smoking outside of designated areas was a serious offense worth punishing, than it would be punished. The people who sign the checks decide what their employees prioritize, and if those folks wanted to put an end to dress code violations, smoking, and line-cutting, they would. It's as simple as saying, "Your work is being monitored, and you will be held responsible for clear violations that happen around you." And like I mentioned, if it were enforced even for a short time, the behavior would trail off with word of mouth.

That being said, if a policy truly requiring employees to speak to rule-breakers was implemented, I would love to see Mr. Kinzel or any other higher-up step up to a group of smoking teenagers and politely ask them (without mentioning his company position) to kindly relocate to a smoking area. Ha!

The smoking areas are nice, too, and there's plenty of them, in easily accessible areas. There's no need to smoke outside of those areas. I like them, I use them. They are a pleasant surprise.

I don't know if we can really say that ignoring in-park smoking is mandated from a corporate level...

But we can certainly say one thing: if those in power believed that smoking outside of designated areas was a serious offense worth punishing, than it would be punished. The people who sign the checks decide what their employees prioritize, and if those folks wanted to put an end to dress code violations, smoking, and line-cutting, they would. It's as simple as saying, "Your work is being monitored, and you will be held responsible for clear violations that happen around you." And like I mentioned, if it were enforced even for a short time, the behavior would trail off with word of mouth.

That being said, if a policy truly requiring employees to speak to rule-breakers was implemented, I would love to see Mr. Kinzel or any other higher-up step up to a group of smoking teenagers and politely ask them (without mentioning his company position) to kindly relocate to a smoking area. Ha!

The smoking areas are nice, too, and there's plenty of them, in easily accessible areas. There's no need to smoke outside of those areas. I like them, I use them. They are a pleasant surprise.

I smoke too. And always in the designated areas.. It isn't rocket science!

Guest rcfreak339

Although the rules clearly say that shoes and shirts must be worn at all times, most employees dont mind women having bikini tops on and guys must have a shirt. Pants MUST be worn though, and on every single ride the ride ops will not let a guest ride without them (same goes for shoes except on the select rides.)

Smoking is untolerable outside of a smoking area.

I don't even worry about the prices anymore to be honest! I hate to see a soda costing $4 in a machine, but what can you do about. As for dress codes I belive that the KI staff have bigger issues at hand to deal with than to worry about what people wear. If a woman lets her muffin top hang out, or exposes her belly button bling then that's their business.

I would much rather have KI dealing with more important issues such as Security for an example. I also would not want a ride op slowing up the queue by removing someone because of what they are wearing. I'm at KI to have fun and not worry about your fashion or if your following every single park rule.

I saw a 10 year old the other day get on The Vortex with a 2 piece swimsuit and flip flops (no shorts)and nothing was said, but if that ride broke down and they had to evacuate that could be a problem. Keeping patrons safe should be the main thing.

i went fathers day weekend and the only problem i had was the smoking evry line i was in there were people smoking and i saw 1 security guard the entire day and he was by The Vortex i made a complaint to ki but of course all i got was a "we are so sorry you experienced that" so while we enjoyed are selves i wasnt to o happy having to smoke a pack of second hand cigs all day

I saw a 10 year old the other day get on The Vortex with a 2 piece swimsuit and flip flops (no shorts)and nothing was said, but if that ride broke down and they had to evacuate that could be a problem. Keeping patrons safe should be the main thing.

Safety is important I agree but how do control situations like that? People are gonna do what they want, adults set the examples that kids go by. As you spoke of a 10 yo, where were her folks at? Some just don't know any better, and they ones that do have to learn the hard way!

I guess some ways to enforce a dress code might be:

• Watch the exit at BB into the main park and make sure patrons are wearing the required colthing
  • Post enormous signs at said exit and main park entrance that clearly spell out the dress code/rules
  • Make sure staff are posted at the entrance to every queue and not to allow ones through if not properly dressed

In the mean time just enjoy "The Fun & Only" :)

And if Kings Island wants to draw a family crowd (and families are among the biggest spenders), it needs to remember that many moms and dads don't wwant their families exposed to other patrons clad as if featured in a burlesque or he-man show.

So beaches, pool parties, water parks, and most especially- indoor water resorts are not for families anymore?

I hear you CedarPointer but I feel most do read the signs in general and if not I do also believe they know what is acceptable in general to the park and the public. To add to that I feel many feel the signs non enforced suggestion/rule and proceed with their own standards of what is acceptable to them, they will carry on until someone says something to them.

And if Kings Island wants to draw a family crowd (and families are among the biggest spenders), it needs to remember that many moms and dads don't wwant their families exposed to other patrons clad as if featured in a burlesque or he-man show.

So beaches, pool parties, water parks, and most especially- indoor water resorts are not for families anymore?

That's what I'm saying. I find it outrageous that people are complaining about seeing "clad" people in the park when the water park has "clad" people all around. I realize the rules vary between the two, but how can one be "offended" at the theme park when the water park is supposed to be just as family friendly. I don't see what difference it makes if someone is a few hundred yards away at the water park.

That's what I'm saying. I find it outrageous that people are complaining about seeing "clad" people in the park when the water park has "clad" people all around. I realize the rules vary between the two, but how can one be "offended" at the theme park when the water park is supposed to be just as family friendly. I don't see what difference it makes if someone is a few hundred yards away at the water park.

Why can you wear sweatpants in the parking lot of your workplace, but must wear a suit 10 yards away?

I do see what you're saying, but understand that these rules are in place for the comfort of everyone. Wearing a two-piece bikini in the dry park is not appropriate for the location. Is it appropriate in a water park? To many, yes. But be it 10 yards or 10 miles away, the same girl in the same two-piece bathing suit looks misplaced and inappropriate walking around a dry park. "There's a time and a place for everything," they say.

It's cultural. There are amusement parks in Japan that have very, very strict "no visible tattoos" policies. If you have a visible tattoo, you are asked to exit the park and may happily return once it's covered. In America, we have much less stringent policies on appearance in most situations. The one that is established at this particular theme park is that you cannot wear swim suits in the dry park.

Like wearing suits to a job where no one but coworkers will see you, it is a socially constructed norm that the park chooses to enforce as a rule. It is expected behavior, and while biologically it has no basis, it is what our society has created.

Why can you wear sweatpants in the parking lot of your workplace, but must wear a suit 10 yards away?

I do see what you're saying, but understand that these rules are in place for the comfort of everyone. Wearing a two-piece bikini in the dry park is not appropriate for the location. Is it appropriate in a water park? To many, yes. But be it 10 yards or 10 miles away, the same girl in the same two-piece bathing suit looks misplaced and inappropriate walking around a dry park. "There's a time and a place for everything," they say.

It's cultural. There are amusement parks in Japan that have very, very strict "no visible tattoos" policies. If you have a visible tattoo, you are asked to exit the park and may happily return once it's covered. In America, we have much less stringent policies on appearance in most situations. The one that is established at this particular theme park is that you cannot wear swim suits in the dry park.

Like wearing suits to a job where no one but coworkers will see you, it is a socially constructed norm that the park chooses to enforce as a rule. It is expected behavior, and while biologically it has no basis, it is what our society has created.

I think you are grasping at straws when you compare the swimsuit in the dry park issue with office workers wearing swimsuits. The park doesn't enforce the rule and for good reason. By the way, people are only wearing swimsuits to my knowledge in the area near the walkway to the water park, not the entire park. Society hasn't constructed any of that -- it is the construction of people who live to do nothing other than control the lives of others - the people who plague our society like a disease. If you don't want bathing suits in the dry park, don't wear one - it doesn't mean people have a right to enforce their extremist views on everyone else.

I do see what you're saying, but understand that these rules are in place for the comfort of everyone.

While it is a park rule, let's not take it to the next level and say the park is not being family friendly due to the same exposure that can be seen at other very family friendly venues.