The Beast is rough

qscott86

Okay I rode The Beast yesterday and I've ridden it several times over the years. I have to say it seemed incredibly rough yesterday especially when going through the tunnels. I have to say I don't know how nobody has died or had limbs taken off in this ride as it seems like the clearance in the tunnels is not much and some people have their arm all out of the vehicle. I would be scared to death to do that in some of those tunnels.

And thus the warnings to keep your hands down and inside the car. Beast is actually much smoother than it has been in years. We, alas, are older than we have ever been. I humbly suggest you ride in a nonwheel seat...which is to say the middle row of a car (NOT the middle of a traiin, a car). There are three benches in each car. You want the middle one.

Also, the clearances are more than they appear , though it is certainly possible for a long armed person to strike the tunnel, with painful consequences. There was a time when virtually no one tried that. . .

I been told yes they have operated when the ride opened.

(I'd wait for actual confirmation tho)

It operated for many years, and the mist was quite refreshing when waiting for the front half of the train.

Unfortunately, it was an innocent victim when Beast lake was removed.

What is Beast lake? Is that the body of water before those people got shocked and died or whatever?

No.

The Beast station (and a large portion of the queue) was above a lake at one time. The lake was removed due to: guests using it as a garbage can, the amount of bugs the virtually stagnant water produced, and the smell the water produced.

There is a picture somewhere around here...

Edit- Found it:

http://www.KICentral...?album=1&pos=55

And thus the warnings to keep your hands down and inside the car. Beast is actually much smoother than it has been in years. We, alas, are older than we have ever been. I humbly suggest you ride in a nonwheel seat...which is to say the middle row of a car (NOT the middle of a traiin, a car). There are three benches in each car. You want the middle one.

Also, the clearances are more than they appear , though it is certainly possible for a long armed person to strike the tunnel, with painful consequences. There was a time when virtually no one tried that. . .

Several years ago, I was on The Beast and when going down the second lift hill drop (I was on the left seat) My tips of my left fingers "smacked" the top of the tunnel.

I am 6'4" with long arms, it stung for a good ten minutes, and I guess you could say that I was lucky to not get injured. When I now ride, I try to move my arms away(LOL) from the tunnel.

Does anyone else have any experiences like this one?

I been told yes they have operated when the ride opened.

(I'd wait for actual confirmation tho)

It operated for many years, and the mist was quite refreshing when waiting for the front half of the train.

Unfortunately, it was an innocent victim when Beast lake was removed.

I remember that, sometimes there would be a bit of back up on hot days, of people trying to get that last little bit of mist before they moved under the canopies. I recall the water, and I recall the trash.

And before Beast, there were canoes back there. Yes, canoes.

Where Jan left Mike's blue prints and practically ruined the whole family's trip to KI and almost cost Mike his job-thanks a lot Jan.(LOL)

If any themepark ride is unsafe, then The State Of Ohio will not let them open it. Hence one of the reasons why SOB is just sitting SBNO.

Ummm... I do believe that the State cleared SOB for operation the day after it closed, but KI officials chose not to reopen it? I don't think the State of Ohio has anything to do with the reason SOB is currently SBNO.

The turn into the brake shed is getting really rough. This is an area that will need attention in the next off season. Also, try to avoid train 3, if possible. That's the one I call Old Square Wheels. It seems to be the one that shimies and shakes somewhat more than the other 2. Of course, ALWAYS avoid riding wheel seats on PTC wood coaster trains at CF parks. Maybe others, but nit at Holiday World. The PTC trains there can be ridden in any seat. Not sure what they're doing that CF is not on the PTCs. Terpy, do you know?

Where Jan left Mike's blue prints and practically ruined the whole family's trip to KI and almost cost Mike his job-thanks a lot Jan.(LOL)

I was there for the filming of Bobby and Cindy handing the blueprints off to Peter and Greg.

The turn into the brake shed is getting really rough. This is an area that will need attention in the next off season. Also, try to avoid train 3, if possible. That's the one I call Old Square Wheels. It seems to be the one that shimies and shakes somewhat more than the other 2. Of course, ALWAYS avoid riding wheel seats on PTC wood coaster trains at CF parks. Maybe others, but nit at Holiday World. The PTC trains there can be ridden in any seat. Not sure what they're doing that CF is not on the PTCs. Terpy, do you know?

The Beast has 3-bench PTC trains. Two fixed axles on both wheels sets that do not pivot. On a turn, notice how gradually the trains go into a turn? 3-bench PTC trains rely on a larger track gauge which causes shuffling going around a turn , body frame movement, and a lubricated track.

All of the PTC's at Holiday World are 2-bench trains. PTC added a rear axle in each car that pivoted. But the front axle is still fixed onto the front wheel assemblies on each car.

happy0045.gif

I was there for the filming of Bobby and Cindy handing the blueprints off to Peter and Greg.

And I was about 4 or 5 years old and saw that they were running through sections of the park on their way to the front that made no sense.......

Is The Beast rough? Yep. But it's a wooden coaster, you expect them to be rough. And while I've had some bumpy rides on Beast, I've never gotten off the ride in any sort of pain in my 6 rides from 2009-2011. If you want a smoother ride, these guys are correct, don't sit on a wheel, sit in the MIDDLE of a train and it's much smoother (but it still shakes a bit, it is a woodie after all). This is actually a general tip that should work on any 6-seater car coaster, steel or wood, it also works on Racer and I am told back when Son of Beast had the 6-seater cars and loop it made a huge difference.

On another note, has anyone else noticed the laterals Beast has for some reason this season? They occur shortly before, during, and after the tunnel in the middle of the ride. They were as strong as the ones I felt on Holiday World's Legend, a coaster famous for them, and stronger than the laterals in the final helix!

PS: There are rougher rides than Beast...Voyage at Holiday World left me in minor back pain when I rode it in 2010, although I rode in the converted Raven train, so perhaps that was the problem. And a freak Flight of Fear ride in 2010 really left me in pain...owch. However, both rides I enjoyed overall since they were more than exciting enough to overcome the roughness.

Wow, really? I would love (and I imagine some others on here, too) to hear more about that day! I know that episode contributed to me being such a KI fan.