The Beast is rough

qscott86

Guest rcfreak339

The turn into the brake shed is getting really rough. This is an area that will need attention in the next off season. Also, try to avoid train 3, if possible. That's the one I call Old Square Wheels. It seems to be the one that shimies and shakes somewhat more than the other 2. Of course, ALWAYS avoid riding wheel seats on PTC wood coaster trains at CF parks. Maybe others, but nit at Holiday World. The PTC trains there can be ridden in any seat. Not sure what they're doing that CF is not on the PTCs. Terpy, do you know?

The PTC train at Holiday World are quit nice, only on Raven and Legend though. I will absolutely not ride Voyage unless it's in the front row. If you can't handle Beast how the heck can you handle Voyage?

The turn into the brake shed is getting really rough. This is an area that will need attention in the next off season. Also, try to avoid train 3, if possible. That's the one I call Old Square Wheels. It seems to be the one that shimies and shakes somewhat more than the other 2. Of course, ALWAYS avoid riding wheel seats on PTC wood coaster trains at CF parks. Maybe others, but nit at Holiday World. The PTC trains there can be ridden in any seat. Not sure what they're doing that CF is not on the PTCs. Terpy, do you know?

The PTC train at Holiday World are quit nice, only on Raven and Legend though. I will absolutely not ride Voyage unless it's in the front row. If you can't handle Beast how the heck can you handle Voyage?

I disagree. The Voyage must be ridden in the back to be appreciated! Getting whipped through the triple drop in the back seat is about the closest thing to the original Racer that I have experienced in recent years.

McSalsa, you mean the middle of a CAR, not the middle of a train. If I had a dollar for each person I have explained this to who then went and rode the middle of the train, seemingly invariably in a wheel seat. . .

The first row of a car is ok too since it is a front wheel seat-the third row is what you have to worry about since it is a back wheel seat where your back takes a beating. ( Didn't Ruth Voss used to ride The Beast for its chiropractic therapy? If so maybe row 3 was her fav.)

It may just be my personal opinion, but I ride The Beast about once a week, and I don't think it is anything painful. Has always felt about the same, even better when they redid some parts of the track over the past few years. Don't get me wrong, still an overall shaky ride, but thats what I expect out of The Beast and its nothing to the point of being bad

I was there for the filming of Bobby and Cindy handing the blueprints off to Peter and Greg.

Wow, really? I would love (and I imagine some others on here, too) to hear more about that day! I know that episode contributed to me being such a KI fan.

We were on the midway, and my sister and I wanted to ride Haley's Comet, the Giant Slide, and The Racer. It took us twice to get across the midway, because some guy kept stopping us and telling us to go back. It's not so much we wanted to be in the show, it's that we wanted to be on our precious rides. I guess being Catholic School kids we did what the grown up told us, we went back across the street, only to try to cross again.

The directions were to not look at the camera, and not get in the kids' way. So we didn't. The second time he stopped us, we thought, next time, let's just ignore him and book it.

After the two kids ran by, and starting talking to Peter and Greg, we made our way to The Racer. I was just tall enough that year, my parents were on the bumper car side of the midway, we made 'begging hands' gestures and pointed at The Racer. My dad nodded, so we went on.

He still makes fun of me for storming the set.

It really wasn't that much of a hassle, it didn't seem like they took over the whole park, just small sections at a time. Sometimes rides weren't open, for filming, and then an hour later, they would be.

Funny that Bavarian Beatle was there, too.

Back on topic, I love that The Beast is rough. It's like Lesourdsville rough, but at least with The Beast I have a higher chance of survival. I think it's supposed to feel a little dangerous. Going into the bridge, it almost feels as if the train is going to shoot right off the tracks. I'm in agreement with McSalsa, I don't recall the ride ever having that lateral force before.

My last trip to Lesourdsville, I made the mistake of riding the roller coaster, only to see on the turn, a mere two by four nailed up as a rail. My mind raced, trying to recall any accidents. I was as white as a sheet when we pulled into the station. This was the only time a ride attendant looked at me and asked me if I was going to be alright.

I was there for the filming of Bobby and Cindy handing the blueprints off to Peter and Greg.

Wow, really? I would love (and I imagine some others on here, too) to hear more about that day! I know that episode contributed to me being such a KI fan.

We were on the midway, and my sister and I wanted to ride Haley's Comet, the Giant Slide, and The Racer. It took us twice to get across the midway, because some guy kept stopping us and telling us to go back. It's not so much we wanted to be in the show, it's that we wanted to be on our precious rides. I guess being Catholic School kids we did what the grown up told us, we went back across the street, only to try to cross again.

The directions were to not look at the camera, and not get in the kids' way. So we didn't. The second time he stopped us, we thought, next time, let's just ignore him and book it.

After the two kids ran by, and starting talking to Peter and Greg, we made our way to The Racer. I was just tall enough that year, my parents were on the bumper car side of the midway, we made 'begging hands' gestures and pointed at The Racer. My dad nodded, so we went on.

He still makes fun of me for storming the set.

It really wasn't that much of a hassle, it didn't seem like they took over the whole park, just small sections at a time. Sometimes rides weren't open, for filming, and then an hour later, they would be.

Funny that Bavarian Beatle was there, too.

Back on topic, I love that The Beast is rough. It's like Lesourdsville rough, but at least with The Beast I have a higher chance of survival. I think it's supposed to feel a little dangerous. Going into the bridge, it almost feels as if the train is going to shoot right off the tracks. I'm in agreement with McSalsa, I don't recall the ride ever having that lateral force before.

My last trip to Lesourdsville, I made the mistake of riding the roller coaster, only to see on the turn, a mere two by four nailed up as a rail. My mind raced, trying to recall any accidents. I was as white as a sheet when we pulled into the station. This was the only time a ride attendant looked at me and asked me if I was going to be alright.

The Bradys may not have been there that day. I suspect my parents of telling me and my sister that to make our day more fun!

McSalsa, you mean the middle of a CAR, not the middle of a train. If I had a dollar for each person I have explained this to who then went and rode the middle of the train, seemingly invariably in a wheel seat. . .

The first row of a car is ok too since it is a front wheel seat-the third row is what you have to worry about since it is a back wheel seat where your back takes a beating. ( Didn't Ruth Voss used to ride The Beast for its chiropractic therapy? If so maybe row 3 was her fav.)

Yes at one time it did help. The past year or so Beast has not had the chiropractic benefit it used to. It's still enjoyable. I like Voyage, however all the quick turns are a little hard on me personally.

Best advice I was ever given has held true for any woodie: Lean Forward. Leaning against the backrest seems to put all the jolting on your neck. Leaning forward seems to distribute the jolting more evenly over your whole upper body.

I've only been on it once this season so far, but I didn't find it any rougher than usual. My cousin on the other hand said the last time she rode it was very rough for her. I'll have to pass on the middle row information to her for future rides.

The Beast? Rough? I think you need to plan a trip to Mt. Olympus to learn the definition of a rough coaster! tongue.gif But honestly, after riding one of those four wooden brain damagers at Mt Olympus, The Beast seems B&M smooth.

The Beast? Rough? I think you need to plan a trip to Mt. Olympus to learn the definition of a rough coaster! tongue.gif But honestly, after riding one of those four wooden brain damagers at Mt Olympus, The Beast seems B&M smooth.

And that is unfortunate. When Hades opened in 2005, it was one of the smoothest airtime machines out there! It was great! I went back 4 years later and I didn't even recognize it. It was not the same coaster it was when it opened.

As far as I'm concerned, the entire ride is glass smooth except for the turn into the brake shed. This is a rough area, but if it was retracked and fixed then the entire ride would be flawless in my opinion.

Agreed. Beast is as smooth as it has been in my memory, at least since the mid 80's. As long as you know where to brace yourself, in that one spot, ride is great.

Also, rode it twice yesterday, seemed faster than at any point this season.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a challenge for me, lately. I do get bopped around a bit, and it does seem faster. I think it's because I'm older. I can go on it twice a night, before when I was younger, I could go on it every other ride.

The greatness of it for me is the design. The fact that it follows the terrain amazes me. It's a beautiful, fast flight through the woods. Yes. I ride it to admire the engineering.

The worst part of any coaster for me, is the lift. The anticipation gets me every time.

The other day I sit in the roughest seat I have ever had on The Beast, I cannot recall what the exact row and seat number were but I do know that is almost dead middle of the train. It is in the section where the yellow arrows are painted on the floor that tell you to angle right into your seat. If you sit in the back row of that car it beats the crap out of you. I have now become accustomed to riding in that seat every time I ride, I think that is what makes The Beast fun.

Yes, there's nothing smooth about this ride and it has gotten worse, not better. People who say this ride has gotten smoother must not have a low standard of comparison (i.e. Son of Beast). The roughness after the second drop is inexcusable.

This is all just a matter of perception.

Since "smooth as glass" coasters like Millennium Force came to be, and virtually the entire lineup of B & M coasters, wonderful rides like The Beast have been labeled as "rough", when you are simply feeling the wooden coaster experience.

Son of Beast does not fit into that category.