The Beast is rough

qscott86

This is all just a matter of perception.

Since "smooth as glass" coasters like Millennium Force came to be, and virtually the entire lineup of B & M coasters, wonderful rides like The Beast have been labeled as "rough", when you are simply feeling the wooden coaster experience.

Son of Beast does not fit into that category.

Few things in life are not matters of perception. I personally think The Beast isn't bad until it goes into the tunnels - the train gets going far too fast and you shake so much you think you might pop a blood vessel. I still feel the clearance in those tunnels is not satisfactory and someone could easily be severely injured if they had their limbs reached out into the wrong place.

Guest rcfreak339

This is all just a matter of perception.

Since "smooth as glass" coasters like Millennium Force came to be, and virtually the entire lineup of B & M coasters, wonderful rides like The Beast have been labeled as "rough", when you are simply feeling the wooden coaster experience.

Son of Beast does not fit into that category.

Few things in life are not matters of perception. I personally think The Beast isn't bad until it goes into the tunnels - the train gets going far too fast and you shake so much you think you might pop a blood vessel. I still feel the clearance in those tunnels is not satisfactory and someone could easily be severely injured if they had their limbs reached out into the wrong place.

lol shutup, those tunnels have been the same since 1979.

"CAUTION: KEEP ARMS DOWN AND INSIDE CAR!"

If someone hurts themselves, it's their own fault for ignoring the posted warnings.

I hear Voyage's old trains, combined with recent retracking, have been very good to Predator. I've never been to Darien Lake, but I'm really curious to know if people still think the ride is bad/rough.

Here's a random thought: if KI ever were to replace Beast's trains (not sure why they would; just talking theoretically), can you imagine how long the trains would look if they tried to match the ride's current capacity? If the used 2-bench PTCs, they'd need 9 cars per train. That would look so odd! (I know it's completely spontaneous... The thought just hit me last week out of nowhere.)

The Voyage to me is the roughest wooden coaster alongside Mean Streak. Honestly, the Voyage is fun, but it beats the crap out of you and I want nothing more than to get off the ride as soon as possible after the MCBR. The Beast isn't even in the same area as the Voyage in my opinion.

And as my response to the people that say that The Beast is worse than what it used to be: Remember, you have gotten older, and you have been spoiled by rides like Millennium Force, Diamondback, and El Toro that are all faster than The Beast and are also glass smooth. Honestly, The Beast is my favorite coaster, I'll admit the problems that the ride has, but roughness isn't one of those problems.

The Beast IS rough. So? It's a feature, in my opinion. A coaster, racing through the woods, in pursuit of (or being chased by) a mythical, bear/wolf/monster, untamed creature. Very well designed, so well designed, in fact, that it appears to follow the terrain yet still have the hills and turns necessary for an exciting ride. Great tunnels. This is one ride that almost themes itself.

Just remember that the ride used to be faster and rougher, and the park has done an excellent job of maintaining it, so that well into its third decade, it is still going strong. They put a lot of offseason effort into replacing track and maintaining trains so that most of the roughness we feel is a result of the design, not deteriorating trains and support structures. The cars used to not have seat dividers, so you'd not only get slammed by the seat, but slammed into your ride partner, as well. The mag brakes in the shed bleed off a lot of the speed. I can't imagine taking the three right-hand turns leading into the second lift hill at the old full speed, and I can't believe I did it as a kid.

• Like 1

Could they? Of course. But why?

They can make four benchers, too.

I cannot imagine why they would buy new trains for Beast.

Flat Freak: Though the mag brakes do slow the train more abruptly, they are not designed to slow the train any more than did the old skid brakes when they were operating properly.

• 2 months later...

I wish i had payed attention to the signs earlier this season because once i was riding The Beast in 2-1 and i had my hands up while we went down the first hill. When we stoped going down the hill and entered the tunnel the g forces slammed m wrists into the front of the train where that little metal looking strip is. now i know ...

The Beast? Rough? I think you need to plan a trip to Mt. Olympus to learn the definition of a rough coaster! tongue.gif But honestly, after riding one of those four wooden brain damagers at Mt Olympus, The Beast seems B&M smooth.

What? The only mildly rough ride to me at Mt. O was Zues. The rest were just fine to me. Especially Hades. Hades is my number one wooden coaster. And yes I've ridden Voyage and El Toro. Even my friend Rob agrees with me on that one.

Guest rcfreak339

The Voyage to me is the roughest wooden coaster alongside Mean Streak. Honestly, the Voyage is fun, but it beats the crap out of you and I want nothing more than to get off the ride as soon as possible after the MCBR. The Beast isn't even in the same area as the Voyage in my opinion.

And as my response to the people that say that The Beast is worse than what it used to be: Remember, you have gotten older, and you have been spoiled by rides like Millennium Force, Diamondback, and El Toro that are all faster than The Beast and are also glass smooth. Honestly, The Beast is my favorite coaster, I'll admit the problems that the ride has, but roughness isn't one of those problems.

This x2. The Voyage, since 2007 has gotten terribly rough. So much so that I have to take a break in between each cycle, I can't ride it over and over again. I also never ride Voyage unless it's in the front row, anywhere else and it's not fun at all. \#1 wooden roller coaster? Give me a break. It's not even in my top 10.

• Like 1

Guest rcfreak339

I've been raven about a wood coaster at Holiday World for years. In fact, some would say I'm stark raven mad about it, a legendary wood coaster, it is. But that newest wooden coaster there the best you say? Bon Voyage!

I actually prefer The Legend over The raven or The Voyage although The Raven is an amazing wooden coaster.

It's just the forces and airtime you get on Legend can't be beat.