Rumors about Coney

pilotank

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, I actually stopped by and asked a worker, they said they were upgrading the road for heavier equipment.

Hmmm....Couldn't comment on what about.

Then I drove by River Downs and they were taking more core samples.

Something BIG is going to happen at RD.

pilotank

• Like 1

They are NOT currently doing any upgrades to Kellogg Avenue. The earth that is being moved is in fact on Coney property. Now, Anderson Township has mentioned some sort of improvements to Kellogg Avenue, especially to try and alleviate flooding when the Ohio rises, but as of right now, no plans have been publicly discussed about what improvements may happen.

Yep, as Westcoaster stated, Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc., the Las Vegas based owners of Riverdowns have decided to tear down the existing grandstand facility and clubhouse to make way for the new development. Price tag of $209 million, including licensing fees.

This will have a direct impact on Coney Island, no doubt.

ConeyKing, the earthwork that is going on at Coney is located between Lake Como and Kellogg Avenue, but it is entirely on Coney property. Do not get your hopes up for anything for next season. I wouldn`t expect much from Coney for the 2013 season. They are already talking about 2014, however...

• Like 1

Then what exactly was pilotank talking about then?

Like CoastersRZ stated, it is the gravel road that is located north of Lake Como. The worker said it was to upgrade the road.

I took it as possibly asphalt. It use to be the same location as the turnpike.

Could it be coming back?????

pilotank

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Coney doesn`t need a big wow now that The Beach has reopened. Nothing has really changed. The Beach was open in 2011, and Coney did just fine that season. Coney has a new ride for this season. And remember, ideas are always being floated around for future seasons. Some nice improvements could be coming in coming seasons. (And no, I`m not talking about the coaster that we almost got, which i think would have been a home run for Coney.)

• 3 weeks later...

Like CRZ said, Coney needs no wow this year. It already has a new attraction, as well it has more historic values to bring in guests. Now I can agree on the coaster, but to be honest, it seems like it can do well even with it's own successful son, and his rival Beach, it will stick around for a very long time.

Like I said a few years ago "If it works, keep it, the older the work, usually the better attraction."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This Coney stands on its own feet very well. If I had to pick anything to go into Coney it would be:

a little wildcat type coaster

a tumblebug (where did the original one that was up at KI end up?)

a whip

Those were the family favourites and would work so well. Love Coney. <3

• Like 3

I've been meaning to ask you, are you English? From the way you type I often 'hear' what you've said with an broad London accent.

Tumblebug and Whip came from Coney originally though, yes? I did not know they were hard to come by now. Sadness. There's a Huss skylab at one of the parks near me. I thought those were all gone now too.

Now you've got my wondering, though, what Coney and KI have stored that they haven't seen for decades. I'm sure they scrap and sell but some of these that just disappar make me wonder if they are sitting in storage somewhere.

KI's Tumlebug was, by all accounts, scrapped. They are now very rare.

Python is too similar to a Galaxi to expect one anytime soon. They, too, are getting rare.

Whip? Same story, different verse.

I am very much an Anglophile and have many English friends, but I'm not English. And yes, the Whip and Tumblebug came from Coney, as did the kiddie whip, the Arrow flume, the ( lamentably now gone to Carowinds ) Flying Eagles, the bumper cars, Scrambler. the Grand Carousel, and Monster, among others.

The nature of the business is such that entire operable rides are seldom in storage long, especially in chains like KECO, Paramount Parks or Cedar Fair.

• Like 1