Vortex conked out

Jeorby Nanpa

There, I said it. Flame away.

Go take a look at the "The Beast is Rough" thread - what that shows is that one constant among park/coaster enthusiasts is disagreement on what is good/bad/ugly. Sure, there are some that are more universally loved or hated, but I don't think I've ever heard a unanimous opinion.

Also recognize that your opinion may be based upon a past memory and is likely to change over the years. For example - I'd gladly ride Woodstock Express over Adventure Express and I prefer to ride Vortex over Flight of Fear. Many on this board would disagree - that's life. And by the way, I like Mantis as well :)

I definitely agree. Vortex is one of my favorite rides. I'm not sure what there is not to like.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why Mantis has let people down, I thought it stands up well to other coasters.

My problem with it is, I can't take the forces on my knees. I have to get an end spot and hang my foot over the side, which is improper, but if I don't, I will be in pain and have to sit down for awhile. Also, a few places bang my head. It's definitely my least favorite coaster at Cedar Point.

We are a strange lot of people, but that's ok. Hehehe....

I told my husband what happened, his response was the same as mine... "Man, wish I had been on when that happened."

Why is being evacuated from a ride so enticing? :blink:

it's like that TTD rollback thing. i have seen many of them and i'm always bummed that i never had one.

I don't know why Mantis has let people down, I thought it stands up well to other coasters.

IMO, Mantis is a trim-braked, worthless waste of space! As many of you know, I generally find B & M coasters to be ungodly boring to begin with, but Mantis is near the bottom of my list! The only ones worse are Superman: Ultimate Blight at Great Adventure, Vortex at Carowinds. and Intrimabore at the same park. However, Afterburn is one of the two B&M's that I actually like (Nitro being the other). But , back on topic, I have always enjoyed Vortex, and miss riding it. That "THUNK" as you enter the corkscrews is always a wonderful experience!

I used to like Diamondback a lot last year, but this year it seems really boring for me. Now if it was more like Nitro or Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia, I'd enjoy it a lot more. But on the topic of Vortex, it's not my favorite Arrow coaster, but it's still fun, if you prepare for the sudden jolts. I also love the sound of the chain.

I can tell this is not going to be a popular post, but here goes anyway:

Frankly, I prefer Mantis over Vortex. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

There, I said it. Flame away.

Finally, someone who agrees with me. I actually find Mantis smooth and exciting! Maybe it's because I've never ridden another standup, but I really like that ride.

I didn't hate Mantis nearly as much as I thought I was going to, but without a doubt I like Vortex better. I also love the sound of the chain carrying the train up the hill...its just very 'amusement park-y' to me for lack of a better term.

Vortex is a fun ride. I don't understand how everybody loves The Beast when it is rough and can sometimes hurt. Vortex just bangs you around, while The Beast practically throws you from side to side.

My 2 cents: OTSR

The chain has not been replaced yet! The chain is missing from about the middle of the lift to the top, and on the return run that runs on the bottom of the main lift! I'm wondering if they are waiting on a new chain to arrive! I'm hoping its back up and running by next Saturday!

Heaven help some of you if you ever get to ride The Georgia Cyclone on one of its good days, or the Coney Island Cyclone or Tremors, just to name a few. I prefer to call them violent.

I almost fell off the Georgia Cyclone back in May. I was toward the back by myself and got ejected enough to almost switch seats in mid ride. I honestly think if it hadn't been for the seatbelt, I would have become the next Tamara Feltner.

Referring to the "rumor" of Vortex sinking: I always hear that it is sinking from the general public, and I hear it is a rumor for others. I understand the so-called "evidence" of it sinking... but how do we KNOW that it isn't sinking?

Have those "sinking footers" always been like that?

Referring to the "rumor" of Vortex sinking: I always hear that it is sinking from the general public, and I hear it is a rumor for others. I understand the so-called "evidence" of it sinking... but how do we KNOW that it isn't sinking?

Have those "sinking footers" always been like that?

In a nutshell: if the ride was sinking, the rails would be cracking at the weld due to the pressure of the sinking footers.

The "sinking footers" only appear the way. Normal erosion will move dirt (which ends up to be grass) to different sides of the footer (anyone that has done maintenance on home landscaping has seen this).

Whenever I hear a GP talk about Vortex sinking, I like to see how ridiculous of things I can get them to believe. I honestly had someone believing that Son of Beast used to be part of Adventure Express, but they split it into two rides to help lessen lines and increase the roller coaster count. I'm a bad person :P

Not an expert, but I would think if the footers were actually sinking, they wouldn't be sinking evenly, which would damage the entire track and cause the ride to become unridable.

As an aside, I love The Vortex. Last year, when i was working in Ride Photo, it was by far the most challenging and busiest ride because of the incredibly short time gap between groups of exiting riders. This not only helped the time fly by, it helped me solidify my standing as one of the top sellers in the eyes of management. :)

Another aside, I love CedarPointer's avatar!