Vortex conked out

Jeorby Nanpa

Vortex: I heard from a good source that they used to keep a spare lift chain at KI. It sounds like they are waiting for parts to arrive from another park or elsewhere. Someone should check the daily UPS delivery.

My suggestion was remove the bad links, splice it back together and live with a shorter chain. Suggestion not accepted.

As an aside, I love The Vortex. Last year, when i was working in Ride Photo, it was by far the most challenging and busiest ride because of the incredibly short time gap between groups of exiting riders.

Good for you! Yesterday they couldn't get this right on two occasions (Beast and Boo-Blasters) when my ride pictures never showed up. Would I have purchased? Who knows? The workers were zombies in the heat.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Enquirer finally picked up on this:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110713/NEWS01/107140318/Kings-Island-closes-Vortex-indefinitely?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

MASON - Kings Island's Vortex roller coaster is currently closed while the park waits for a part for a lift chain.

During the July 4th weekend, the ride stopped as it reached the lift hill coming out of the station, spokesman Don Helbig said.

Guests were safely evacuated from the train and walked back into the ride's station. It's not known when it will re-open.

There was a time when such parts were often quickly machined by a local or even in-house machine shop. Now, for perhaps a myriad of reasons, that is apparently not the case.

we used to make a lot of our own parts where i work but, now it becomes a major liability issue if a part fails and someone gets hurt.

Hoping if someone knows, they are also willing/able to share - are lift hill chains common across a brand and or type of coaster? Do all Arrows use the same chain size or are at least the chain sizes for Arrow loopers of a similar generation to Vortex the same?

Assuming that it is not totally unique, I'm surprised there wouldn't either be a spare length or used length available somewhere.

Many small machine shops had to close their doors over the past 4 years.

With the economy improving, larger ones now have all their work plus the work the small ones had. Combine that with the amount of work machine shops have due to the numerous plant summer shut downs (maintenance work) it is not surprising the work cannot be done.

Or the simple answer is, the manufacturer of the ride will not approve those parts, and we all know that is a big no-no in the state of Ohio.

Chains get replaced. I`m not sure how often, but I think its safe to say that the chain on Vortex is not the original chain that opened with the ride. And the chains actually will stretch a bit as they are used. So when the weakest link breaks, they likely will replace the entire chain.

LOL. At least the Enquirer article had a quote from Mr. Helbig. Check out this piece of journalistic amazement.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/kings-island-shuts-down-popular-roller-coaster-1206598.html?cxtype=rss_local-news

From that article:

Kings Island officials say they were waiting on delivery of a replacement link for the chain.

Note that it says replacement link, not replacement chain. Interesting, given what CoastersRZ said.

While it is not a coaster, the Tempest flat ride at Coney is driven by a chain. If the ride is not balanced and braked properly, the chain can snap (with the sound of a canon). It usually happens at least once a season. When it happens, it normally takes the ride down for several days to a week while maintenance fixes it.

Its not that common on coasters, but it does happen from time to time.

intriguing that the park wouldn't keep those things around. that seems like the local Jiffy Lube not stocking oil filters. I mean, really, is this such a rare thing that they don't keep stuff like that around?

I should add more. The source of my information said that "before Cedar Fair" they kept a spare chain around. They implied that CF is a bit cheap, and somehow that spare was re-purposed in the time since PKI.

A previous poster says a break per year is common? In that case keeping a spare should be a no-brainer. A heavy, greasy no-brainer.

Vortex: I heard from a good source that they used to keep a spare lift chain at KI. It sounds like they are waiting for parts to arrive from another park or elsewhere. Someone should check the daily UPS delivery.

My suggestion was remove the bad links, splice it back together and live with a shorter chain. Suggestion not accepted.

As an aside, I love The Vortex. Last year, when i was working in Ride Photo, it was by far the most challenging and busiest ride because of the incredibly short time gap between groups of exiting riders.

Good for you! Yesterday they couldn't get this right on two occasions (Beast and Boo-Blasters) when my ride pictures never showed up. Would I have purchased? Who knows? The workers were zombies in the heat.

No. I can assure you, they don't have a spare lift hill chain just chilling somewhere.

HTCO, is literally LOLing

^Some people have said you could hear the snap of Vortex's chain all the way across Coney Mall.

No doubt. We had ridden WindSeeker and were standing at the Coney/Rivertown border near the three-pointer game waiting for the security guy (who was incapable of telling time) to let us through to Diamondback when it broke. It sounded like a gunshot to us, although we were right next to Vortex. I'm quite certain that it could have been heard at the other end of the Mall, if not the park.

intriguing that the park wouldn't keep those things around. that seems like the local Jiffy Lube not stocking oil filters. I mean, really, is this such a rare thing that they don't keep stuff like that around?

I should add more. The source of my information said that "before Cedar Fair" they kept a spare chain around. They implied that CF is a bit cheap, and somehow that spare was re-purposed in the time since PKI.

That's... not making me to happy to read that.

Vortex's chain could have been replaced before opening day this year, and a replacement chain was put on order and it simply has not come in yet.

That is just one of many could haves in a long list of possibilities.

Sometimes $^#t happens and it does not mean CF is cheap cheap or don't stock spare parts. CF does not have a long history of having rides down for typical wear & tear part failure. Now suddenly they are being cheap? :wacko:

On a side note- it is rather humorous that many people questioned why Vortex being part of ERT and how it was not that popular, and now people are questioning why Vortex is down due to a broken chain and it has now made the print media.

^^

I notice is says that they are waiting on a replacement "link" for the chain, and it could be a couple of weeks. If they are only waiting for a "link" and not a whole chain, then yes, CF is very cheap for not having a spare link on hand. That is ridiculous, as is four weeks total to get a "link" for the existing chain. Good grief.

How long did it take them to get the lift cable replaced on M.F. when it broke earlier?

^^

I notice is says that they are waiting on a replacement "link" for the chain, and it could be a couple of weeks. If they are only waiting for a "link" and not a whole chain, then yes, CF is very cheap for not having a spare link on hand. That is ridiculous, as is four weeks total to get a "link" for the existing chain. Good grief.

If it was a brand new chain @ the beginning of the year why would a link be needed on hand? Having a brand new spare link to be installed on a used chain will not work.

How long did it take them to get the lift cable replaced on M.F. when it broke earlier?

Earlier when?

^^

If it was a brand new chain @ the beginning of the year why would a link be needed on hand? Having a brand new spare link to be installed on a used chain will not work.

The same reason you have a spare tire, because things happen. In my estimation, not having a spare link for those lift chains is silly, and they probably need a master link or two as well. As to your second point, I'm afraid you'd be mighty disappointed. Installing a new link in a used chain is done all the time. It works without issue, provided the used chain is not stretched beyond its service limit, which means it should be replaced anyway. Besides, if it was a new chain as you state, then it should not be stretched much yet.

Earlier when?

I thought it was last spring, but it was May 28, 2009. It was testing on June 1, 2009. If they can get a cable from Intamin and get it installed that fast, there should be no reason that a chain from S&S should take a month.

^^

The same reason you have a spare tire, because things happen. In my estimation, not having a spare link for those lift chains is silly, and probably a master link or two as well. As to your second point, I'm afraid you'd be mighty disappointed. Installing a new link in a used chain is done all the time. It works without issue, provided the used chain is not stretched beyond its service limit, which means it should be replaced anyway. Besides, if it was a new chain as you state, then it should not be stretched much yet.

Earlier when?

I thought it was last spring, but it was May 28, 2009. It was testing on June 1, 2009. If they can get a cable from Intamin and get it installed that fast, there should be no reason that a chain from S&S should take a month.

Completely agree! I dont know what taking so long. It looks like they are in NO rush what so ever...

My link

Here is a link to another story about Vortex, this time they actually say that the chain broke. The paper also states that according to Don, a replacement link (not a whole chain) has been ordered. If that is indeed true, I do not believe that there is any excuse for the ride to be closed for a month if the chain is the only problem.

My link

Here is a link to another story about Vortex, this time they actually say that the chain broke. The paper also states that according to Don, a replacement link (not a whole chain) has been ordered. If that is indeed true, I do not believe that there is any excuse for the ride to be closed for a month if the chain is the only problem.

Interesting how the stories between that site and Cincinnati.com are a bit different, even though both sites are owned by the same company.