Vortex conked out

Jeorby Nanpa

intriguing that the park wouldn't keep those things around. that seems like the local Jiffy Lube not stocking oil filters. I mean, really, is this such a rare thing that they don't keep stuff like that around?

Vortex's chain could have been replaced before opening day this year, and a replacement chain was put on order and it simply has not come in yet.

That is just one of many could haves in a long list of possibilities.

Sometimes $^#t happens and it does not mean CF is cheap cheap or don't stock spare parts. CF does not have a long history of having rides down for typical wear & tear part failure. Now suddenly they are being cheap? :wacko:

On a side note- it is rather humorous that many people questioned why Vortex being part of ERT and how it was not that popular, and now people are questioning why Vortex is down due to a broken chain and it has now made the print media.

not trying to nit pick but is there a difference between cheap cheap and regular cheap sorry i had to

OT: If it's just a link I dont understand but the whole chain i can as S&S probably does not mass produce replacement arrow parts and only makes them when needed just a guess

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"CF does not have a long history of having rides down for typical wear & tear part failure."i think everyones remembering last year when Delirium was down for(i forgot exact time) like a month. though i honestly have no clue their history with other rides in other parks

and that may also be just that particular manufacturer (huss)

I bet Dolly might have something to say about that...

2011_0509_TimberTowerSign.jpg

(Courtesy Screamscape.)

HUSS does seem to have plenty of issues lately with customer satisfaction. Delirium and The Crypt have both pretty much been prone to multiple weeks of downtown time for as long as I've known them, and a picture search on KI fansites will produce signs from the Paramount days where they had to wait on parts from Germany for quite a few days. I'd chalk that up to HUSS, not Cedar Fair.

I AM curious to know what the hold up is with this chain... It seems like fabricating a replacement chain wouldn't take this long, but maybe there's more to it than I know.

I had herd The Vortex is still down as of yesterday anyone hear anything from today. We plan on visiting in a week hope its back up i almost want to delay my visit.

I really, really hope it is back in business by Saturday (although I'm not holding my breath). I haven't been to KI in probably 4 or 5 years, and finally have a chance to get there this Saturday. I'm really looking forward to getting to ride the new rides I haven't been able to enjoy yet, but I'm not sure it will feel like a complete visit to KI without a ride on The Vortex. Oh, well, I'm sure we'll have fun either way. Just have to stay hydrated.:wacko:

and that may also be just that particular manufacturer (huss)

I bet Dolly might have something to say about that...

2011_0509_TimberTowerSign.jpg

(Courtesy Screamscape.)

HUSS does seem to have plenty of issues lately with customer satisfaction. Delirium and The Crypt have both pretty much been prone to multiple weeks of downtown time for as long as I've known them, and a picture search on KI fansites will produce signs from the Paramount days where they had to wait on parts from Germany for quite a few days. I'd chalk that up to HUSS, not Cedar Fair.

I AM curious to know what the hold up is with this chain... It seems like fabricating a replacement chain wouldn't take this long, but maybe there's more to it than I know.

Oh my, but that is honest signage, I'll give her credit for that.

The chain of posts saying "Vortex was still down (yesterday/today)" is going to sound like a broken record before long and might make me snap. Perhaps this post can break that chain before it gets started?

jcgoble3, who will be here all week (sorry, guys, I couldn't resist)

Well if you see a fat guy in a braves jersey sitting outside The Vortex watching that you know its me. I love that hill climb and that little dip before the first drop itz awsome. Hopefully the diamond back isnt super busy and I can ride it 8 times in a row before closing. Im already having withdraw gotta watch the video again

Well I just called and theres mo schedualed date for it to reopen guess ill make a 2nd trip around haloween. With some luck itll be open

On my lunch break im gonna hook up my laptop to my tv and watch The Vortex video should be fun

I just had the pleasure of riding Six Flags Great America's Demon (more of a Corkscrew than a Vortex) for the first time the other day, and came out with an appreciation for those brakes before the corkscrews. I always thought, 'What's the point of slamming on the midcourse brakes, then going through those corkscrews so painfully slowly?' Trust me, once you've had un-trimmed Arrow corkscrews, the slowed variety doesn't seem half-bad! :P

My wife told me that in addition to Vortex, Diamondback and Flight Deck have been down all day today as well.

Diamondback broke down about an hour after park opening... we were in the station waiting to board. They had an issue with a safety light coming on saying there was a problem with the latching system. I don't know what time they had it back up and running, but I do know that shortly after everything else reopened after the weather closed rides down, Diamondback was back up and running and it appeared to be running the rest of the day. We rode it at about 6:30.

Also, I don't know about Flight Deck, but we had just gotten off before they closed it for the weather. We came back later in the day (around 8) and rode it again, so if it was down, it must not have been for too long.

The weather closure might have been what she meant. They had just about everything down for about a couple of hours due to thunder/lighning in the area.

They have the chain casing completely out. It's going to be down for awhile. I heard possibly it could re-open the first week of August, but that was through hear say. That's the soonest I would expect it to return.

If your talking about the metal guide the runs the entire length of the lift, then I know parts of it was damanged from the chain breaking!