Wish me luck

homestar92

So I plan on going to KI tomorrow. It'll be my first trip since I lost my best friend and dedicated KI buddy in a car crash two days ago. So if you're there tomorrow and you see a grown man bawling his eyes out by Vortex, or the $25 gumball machine by the Diamondback gift shop, that's me. And it would be best to let me grieve alone... I sometimes get mean when I'm upset. But I guess the point of this topic is... if anyone's been there before, what is a good way to still manage to have fun with the loss I've recently went through?

The loss of loved ones are brutal to grasp. It's just hard, plain and simple. As long as you keep warm thoughts of your friend in your heart and mind, they'll always be with you. We'll be at the park today and will send you positive thoughts and best wishes. It does get less painful with time, I know that first hand.

Visiting a place where you spent memorable time with friends so soon after a shocking loss might seem strangely cruel at first. You might experience something that feels like abject envy for everyone else around you who are 'going on with life'. This phenomenon will fade with time. All the while have maximum fun in memory of your friend... honor their memory and legacy by thoroughly and richly enjoying the experience as a celebration of the joy you shared with them.

Others have said very wise things. Know, too, that we all deal with grief in our own ways. And that's okay.

I lost my mom last April, 2010. Some would say stepmom, and legally she was, but to me she was Mom. In any event, in her later years, I took her to Dollywood every year the weekend before Thanksgiving. Last fall, the weekend before that, I went to Dollywood, or rather to the parking lot. I just couldn't do it. So, I ate at Krystal, spent the night in a different hotel than we used to stay in, and went back home. I've yet to go to Dollywood without my best friend who I miss so much. I bought a seaon pass this year, though....and Dollywood is much closer to Marta than it was the old home base.

Well, I went today, and I have to say, it was tough. But I'm glad I persevered through it. Something happened that, being the religious man that I am, made me KNOW, beyond any doubt where my friend is. You see, the day started alright. It got tough at lunch. My friend loved food. Any food, he didn't care. Throwing away my leftovers made me lose it. I never had to do that when he was with me. I cried in my car for about 30 minutes, with my girlfriend (who was also a dear friend of his) trying her best to comfort me. She texted a couple of my other friends and, in short, told them I need them there and I need them now. It was about 2 at this point, so she took me to see American Country (great show, by the way), which took my mind off things for just the 30 minutes necessary for my friends to get there. My friends were a phenomenal support group. Any time I got emotional, they sat with me and made me feel loved. It helped. A lot. Anyway, I'll skip to much later. I wanted to be home before dark (after all, my friend had died in a crash, I wanted to be as safe as possible). But my girlfriend more or less MADE me stay to see WindSeeker's lighting package (also stunning). I got in line (for my 4th ride of the day) at about 9:30. as we get close to our turn, the cycles just before us seemed to be... hitting snags. Things would happen and they got delayed for a couple minutes. I was getting frustrated, as it was making it that much later that I could go home (I was sad, and afraid to drive). But as we got on, something happened that I could only describe as miraculous. The delays were just enough that we were able to be on the ride just as the fireworks started. And at that moment, I knew. That was my friend pulling some strings in heaven to make sure I was on that ride at that time. Some might call it coincidence, but as for me, I think it was one last parting gift, especially since he was a bit of a pyro and LOVED shooting off fireworks. And it removed any doubt in my mind as to where my friend is now. And, even in death, he managed to make me smile and cry tears of joy. This trip did wonders in helping me move on and enjoy life again. And while some may scoff, I will say that if nothing else, those events solidified my faith in God tenfold. So that's my mini-trip report. And for any of you who have gone through something similar, I know how you feel, and if you haven't yet, I do believe you can find peace without forgetting your great memories.

You might experience something that feels like abject envy for everyone else around you who are 'going on with life'. This phenomenon will fade with time.

Its been over a year since my grandma passed and this still happens with me over Cedar Point.

It will get better. When my father died, it was very hard to get myself back to Kings Island, a place he had made sure, at no small sacrifice to him or his wife, that his oldest, park loving son would get to on its opening day 31 years before. On opening day last year my mom fell early in the morning and entered the hospital, never to go home on this earth again.

It does get better. It does take time. For some of us, less or more time than others. And progress is not necessarily linear.

I was on that same WS ride with you last night...we were all kind of bummed, thinking we were probably going to miss the fireworks by one ride cycle, only to have one thing after another line up in our favor. Was nothing short of amazing.

So sorry for your loss.