New at Holiday World for 2012

I'm frankly disappointed in everyone's disappointment. Mammoth will be a fantastic addition to Splashin' Safari that will help lessen the lines for everything else, including your precious coasters. It's got the capacity that Wildebeest dearly lacks while hopefully delivering a similar (but improved, thanks to the size) experience. This thing will be a hit with the GP.

Also, I don't really know where a lot of people online get off being all, "This was supposed to be a steel coaster! Gah!" Exactly how many times does the park have to say it's not going to be a coaster, steel or not, before people believe it? Sigh. I know I said myself that I couldn't imagine the $9 million pricetag being for anything else but a coaster, but I think we were all buying into the assumption that the $9 million would be going into the dry park, not the water park.

Truthfully, I will say that the Halloween event was a little more exciting for me. The park has one of the best atmospheres for a fall event--can you imagine zooming by a sea of changing trees while riding any of the wooden coasters? I'm a little confused as to whether or not it will be a scare event... I don't really see scares being a part of Holiday World's "family friendly" persona, but Dan did say there would be trails. I'll take whatever they'll give, but it just seems like a kid-friendly fall celebration of sorts would better fit the park.

EDIT:

Another "worlds biggest water slide." This is about as original as Cedar Point adding a Kingda Ka clone.

Or like Kings Island building another "world's tallest wooden coaster," right? I mean, they already did it twice with Racer and then Beast, so why do it again? sleep.gif

At least this one has better capacity (or so it seems), and spins...so, it's a spinning water coaster? Holiday World must really be trying to take down Schlitterbahn (hope I spelled that right) and become the #1 waterpark...

The video also shows Wildebeest, so I'm wondering if these two were planned at the same time or not...anyhow, I am now more convinced then ever that Splashin' Safari, not Holiday World, is the big draw for the park.

Well, a new steel coaster would be a good addition...next time. (2013?)

PS: Mammoth does look cool, by the way...even if it is another Water Coaster.

Holiday World has three wooden coasters... Different layouts, different trains, different experiences... But no one complains about that?

I can agree that it would've been nice to see a large investment to the dry side (for this price, couldn't they have gotten a nice GCI?), but don't be disappointed by it... It's not like it's a duplicate. It is a completely separate experience, just like Voyage and Legend... Just because they have similar features doesn't mean they're alike at all. It IS an odd sell, though... I wonder how the public is responding... Maybe this would've been good 2 or 3 years after Wildebeest.

One other thing to remember. Will Koch was the coaster lover. Dan has said that he only rides Voyage once a season and I don't know if Pat ever has. I think this is why they did a survey at HWN asking the enthusiast what they would like to see.

When the price tag was announced, I honestly expected it to be a small steel coaster like a Euro-Fighter or a Spinning Coaster. Another water coaster never entered my mind since they just added Wildebeest. Now that Mammoth has been announced I feel they need to hit it out of the park with their 2013 project. Holiday World also seems to love breaking records. I don't see them putting in a TTD/KA clone as those are Intamin rides and I have been told by a former nun that the park would never work with Intamin again. That leaves B&M as the other coaster designer that could break records. I don't see Mack, Gerstlaur or any of the other smaller players breaking any records. What I don't know is if HW has the deep pockets for a record breaking B&M.

(edit) this post is by DaveStroem, seems that my daughter forgot to logout on my computer again. :)

It looks like fun to me. I love Wildebeest and a similar ride with better capacity seems like a winner. Also lets not forget the dry side is getting something next year too, an extended season and Halloween event! I am just as excited about that. That alone certainly gives me a reason to make a second visit in the fall.

I'm frankly disappointed in everyone's disappointment. Mammoth will be a fantastic addition to Splashin' Safari that will help lessen the lines for everything else, including your precious coasters. It's got the capacity that Wildebeest dearly lacks while hopefully delivering a similar (but improved, thanks to the size) experience. This thing will be a hit with the GP.

While you may be disappointed in their disapppointment.....are you really surprised? I agree with you 100% though. I find it incredibly frustrating to come on here and read some of the comments that people post. For those disappointed, clearly you have no idea of the immense popularity of Splashin' Safari. Furthermore, how can anyone think that the dry side has seen no love? True, there hasn't been a major coaster added since Voyage. With that said, the dry park has seen growth too:

2006: Voyage, Gobbler Getaway and Bahari River

2007: Turkey Whirl and Bakuli

2008: Star Spangled Carousel, Reindeer Games and Kima Bay

2009: Pilgrim's Plunge was added to Thanksgiving....serving BOTH dry park and water park

2010: Wildebeest

2011: Safari Sam's Splash Land and Rudolph's Round-Up

2012: Mammoth and the addition of the new Halloween event in the dry park

There has been something added to the dry park every year since Voyage, with the exception of last season...all while continuing to increase capacity at Splashin' Safari each year as well. The folks at HW must be clueless about planning their expansions, that's clearly the reason why they've experienced such impressive growth over the last 5 years or so.dry.gif I think Mammoth looks like a fantastic addition and will compliment Wildebeest nicely!

- Todd, who looks forward to riding Mammoth next year at Holiwood Nights!

Halloween?

I was looking at their park calender just yesterday, wishing they had a Halloween event. I don't care if it's a kiddy Halloween, I'd like that.

I keep looking at that park. I've never gone, but it's as cute as hell.

The Halloween event might be a nice anniversary weekend.

^^^ Honestly? No, I'm not surprised. It's like no coaster enthusiast site is complete without rampant complaining about the quality of future attractions... which is one of the saddest things about them*. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the park could have added nothing. That thought should be especially effective when talking about Holiday World... The place changes something every year. KI fans are pleasantly surprised when something noticeable changes more often than every 2 to 3 years.

On that note, the park *did* add things for this year. GYK's right about Mammoth and the Halloween event being for 2012, but this year did bring general park improvements that were based on guest's requests. They replaced a kids' ride with a similar model that better fits the Christmas theme and modified several buildings to better accommodate guests. The Plymouth Rock Cafe had its seating area enclosed and air conditioned, the front gate was modified to increase throughput, a series of children's waterslides were added, and (I think) more lockers were added in a more convenient part of the waterpark. They're not strictly ride additions to the dry park, per se, but they are improvements that aren't only water rides. In fact, I'd argue that these sorts of "additions" every once in a while could almost be a better PR move than trying to push how big and fast a new ride is--to me, it says, "We're not only focused on pulling annual visitors in. We know we have our regulars, and we care about their wants."

I will say, to the benefit of those who want another steel coaster at Holiday World... I do still think either a family-friendly coaster to bridge the gap between Howler and Raven would fit very nicely. A smaller (i.e., a Maurer Sohne or B&M) looper would also fit very well, seeing as how Indiana has an odd lack of inversions that the GP does seem to want out of their parks.

*Especially when, lately, they've almost always been wrong about them. Remember how Carowinds' Intimidator was going to absolutely blow I305 out of the water?

But Mammoth and the Halloween event are for 2012, not 2011. :P So make that two seasons without dry park additions. I agree with you both, though!

Ooops! That's what getting up at 4am for work does to me....especially when I don't get my nap :)

2011 still saw Safari Sam's Splashland AND Rudolph's Round-Up in the dry park.....so I stand by my statement of only one year of no dry park expansion tongue.gif

- Todd, thinking it's time for a nap right about NOW.....

EDIT:

Another "worlds biggest water slide." This is about as original as Cedar Point adding a Kingda Ka clone.

Or like Kings Island building another "world's tallest wooden coaster," right? I mean, they already did it twice with Racer and then Beast, so why do it again? sleep.gif

Let's not get carried away, it's not nearly THAT bad of a decision. It's more along the lines of KI adding a 350 foot tall Intamin Gyro Drop. And I'm not upset or disappointed. I am actually quite perplexed.

They just asked about a steel coaster this year. It takes a while to plan these things out. I was a little disappointed at first, having wanted a coaster, but I think this will bring a lot to their water park which is more popular than the main park on those hot summer days. I waited in line for wildebeest for an hour and a half, while I only waited for Voyage for 20min. And don't get into one of those que line discussions etc. etc. I would have liked to ride wildebeest more, but I couldn't due to the long wait.

Holiday World has three wooden coasters... Different layouts, different trains, different experiences... But no one complains about that?

They only complain about the fact that they're not steel coasters. Seriously, think about it. What's the one thing everyone here wanted out of Holiday World prior to this announcement?

This....is just sad. Kings Island won't give you a steel coaster, so you go to their next door neighbor and expect them to up and build one in their backyard because the ones in your OWN backyard (for the ones that live close to KI) aren't good enough?

I am excited for the addition, although I was really thinking this was going to be an addition on the dry side of the park. I am now thinking that they are going to do the same thing as they did with wood coasters. Build 3 of them. Since it seems that their next dry coaster being considered would be steel. Thoughts?

When it comes to anniversaries, you have to think about it from a marketing standpoint. In a year with a new ride, you market the ride. Without a new ride, you market something else like anniversaries.

From what I've heard, the wait times on Wildebeest justify adding a second water coaster. I personally think that this will be a good add for the park and that the desired steel coaster will come later.

With this level of complaining though, I may have to boycott KIC after the KI announcement (especially if my guess is correct) :)