Michigan's Adventure

My family and I will be taking a vacation to the great state of Michigan. We plan to leave good old Avon, Indiana (about 20 minutes from Indy) on Sunday July 10 at 8:00 am. Our first Stop will be in Sliver lake Michigan, about 30 minutes from Michigan's Adventure. On Monday July 11 we plan to go to Michigan's Adventure. I am really looking forward to Shivering Timbers and Thunderhawk (i dont know why :wacko: ). For those of you on here that have been to the park, i could really use your advice on the park. I was thinking the park would more than likely be dead. Is the water park any good? Is it worth getting up early in the morning or staying late? Thanks for your advice. I plan on having my FIRST PTR on here. Thanks!:)

The mouse is a good one. Thunderhawk is my only SLC but I found it to be fun and reasonably smooth. They actually have a pretty decent water park too. Personally I doubt you'll need a plan of attack for the dry park as I've never waited more then 15-20 minutes for anything. Their falling star is a must, and I would suggest riding Shivering Timbers in the back.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to check out MA on Saturday, 7/30. We were near Coldwater, MI for a family reunion on Sunday. After 3 hr drive, we found traffic backed up at the highway exit for near the park. Fortunately my Garmen GPS directed me a back way and we avoided longer traffic lines at the park entrance. Since my daughter (16) left her pass at home (Beavercreek, OH), we had to get a replacement ($5)--her second this season ($15 at KI). At least she now has a unique pass with MA & Snoopy on the front. While waiting on her pass replacement, I commented on the traffic and was told that this might the largest crowd of the year). Entering the park, we made the mistake of getting in the Mad Mouse line--longest of the day at 45 min. We were hot and hungry, so we went to the diner for a $40 meal and 2 refillable Snoopy cups. We then headed for the coasters. Stopping at the bridge to take a photo, we left behind one Snoopy. My granddaughter ran back to get Snoopy, but he had already been "adopted." We rode Shivering Timbers first--15 min wait. The girls liked it--me not so much. Next was Wolverine Wildcat--10-15 min wait. I liked it better. Next we went to the corkscrew--10 min wait, okay ride--nothing special. We then rode Thunderhawk. 10-min wait. I liked this one the best. Granddaughter skipped it, because she doesn't like "dangling feet/up-side-down" We were hot, so next was the waterpark. NOW we knew why the ride lines were short by KI standards. I estimate 75-80% of the park attendance was crammed into the water park. We went to the back restroom to change, got wet in a wave pool, cooled off for about 5 min., and decided to leave--much too crowded for our liking. While I get tired of walking at Boomerang Bay; at least the crowds are better dispersed. We opted to ride the Giant Gondola Wheel last and head back to our hotel. If we happen to be in the area (closer than 3 hrs drive--I'll go back, but I won't make a special trip). I'm spoiled by CP & KI. The Beast is always the best and I really like CP's MF & TD. I missed a really tall ride at MA that gave you a good view of the park and surrounding geography. Also, only Thunderhawk had more than one train to load riders while another was going.

Time's running out, got to get to CP before school starts.

Sounds like you guys had a pretty good time. I have a soft spot for MA myself...I really can't pin down what it is either, I just really love that park. Shivering Timbers (which has gotten a tad rough this year) and Falling Star alone make the 4.5 hour drive from Indy worth it for me (we actually are making the trip twice this year...).

• 1 year later...

Bringing back an old topic, but when I was at MiA, the anti rollbacks didn't seem to be working on Mad Mouse. Right at the beginning of the lift they would click, then would be silent until you got to the top, where they would click a little more. Should I be concerned about this? I find it weird that they don't make any noise.

Due to the fact that this topic was recently brought back up......I thought it would be an appropriate place to post this.....

Michigan's Adventure and the American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) spent the day celebrating the 25th anniversary of Wolverine Wildcat and the 15th anniversary of Shivering Timbers. A celebration with cake was involved....

2i8yyo7.jpg

(Photo Courtesy of Michigan's Adventure)

As a side note, Shivering Timbers is one of the Best wooden coasters around! Happy 15th!

(Now Edited, with dates changed)

Bringing back an old topic, but when I was at MiA, the anti rollbacks didn't seem to be working on Mad Mouse. Right at the beginning of the lift they would click, then would be silent until you got to the top, where they would click a little more. Should I be concerned about this? I find it weird that they don't make any noise.

That could cause some Chaos.

• Like 2

Happy 15th Shivering Timbers! :D I visited the park once (pre-Thunderhawk) and remember enjoying both this ride and Adventure Falls (a ride similar to Congo Falls, only instead of a double-drop, it has a large single drop). I also remember recreating Shivering Timbers on Roller Coaster Tycoon after I got back from the park that day.

• Like 3