Man dies after falling of Ride of Steel at Darion Lake.

I'm not saying that it's not something they should know, but it obviously isn't a common thing.

In before the "the ride ops should go to jail" and "being a ride op is a tough job" that's probably going to happen.

As terrible as it sounds, when does common sense become a factor? The restraints primarily restrain legs.

And since it is uncommon, why not get in touch with a supervisor to ask a question? Safety first- two heads are better than one.

No criminal charges to be filed although the Sheriff says the park clearly violated it's own policy.

Signs at the Ride of Steel roller coaster at Darien Lake Theme Park & Resort clearly state riders "must have two legs," Genesee County Sheriff Gary Maha said.

You can smell the civil lawsuit coming though.

Investigators found no criminal activity, including intent. Yet the ride operators, who were not identified, "clearly knew" Hackemer shouldn't have been riding but offered no explanation for why they let him on.
"Darien Lake violated their own policies and procedures by letting him get on the ride," Maha said.

http://xfinity.comca....Coaster.Death/

Investigators found no criminal activity, including intent. Yet the ride operators, who were not identified, "clearly knew" Hackemer shouldn't have been riding but offered no explanation for why they let him on.

Sounds to me that none of the ride ops had the testicular fortitude to step up and say "this is not right".

Yet, blame cannot be put on the shoulders of just the ride ops, as cruel as it may sound, the victim also should have had the sense of what he was choosing. There is a visible sign concerning the need for legs. We all know that many guests don't pay attention to signs, as a disabled vet, he should paid attention more than the average guest.

That's the thing that bothers me. Like the woman a while ago who raised hell over not being able to get on an Intamin ride at Cedar Point... It is the [oft neglected] responsibility of every visitor to a theme park to read and understand the rules and limitations for each ride before they board. But especially if you were missing a limb or had another severe impairment, wouldn't you have the common sense to ask?

Of course, it's terribly tragic and I hate that it happened, but if you have a missing limb, don't be afraid to visit guest services and say, "Before I even bother, what can and can't I ride?" That's what they're there for.

Sounds to me that none of the ride ops had the testicular fortitude to step up and say "this is not right".

Yet, blame cannot be put on the shoulders of just the ride ops, as cruel as it may sound, the victim also should have had the sense of what he was choosing. There is a visible sign concerning the need for legs. We all know that many guests don't pay attention to signs, as a disabled vet, he should paid attention more than the average guest.

Agree 100% on both counts.

It's worth noting that many coasters... including the ones at KI and DL.. have a special harness option for those of a disabled nature. When I worked at KI, there were two amputee season pass holders that regularly rode the coasters I operated. I strapped them into the harness many, many times and sent them safely on their ride.

(BTW - The harness is a specially designed series of straps - much like that of a skydiver harness - that attaches to the rear of the seat and/or car. If you ever wondered why there are seat belt latches on the back of the 3rd - or is it the 4th? - car of The Beast, well they are for the harness.)

Although I have ridden ROS at DL many, many times, I am unsure if it has a harness feature or not. I would assume that being a *newer* coaster that it would. However, if not, I am flabbergasted that he was allowed to ride. Just the mere thought of someone with missing limbs riding a coaster as steep as ROS is enough to frighten me. However, I also can see where someone not wanting to offend (especially a teen) would be hesitant to not allow a disabled person to ride.

Many years ago, when I worked on Chang at SFKK, we received NUMEROUS complaints from people who had a handicapped friend or family member that couldn't scale the steps up to the load station to ride. There was no elevator to the load platform for a reason - and we had to literally explain that it was a STAND UP COASTER. But none-the-less, the ride ops regularly got reamed by guests because we were not being "accessible" to those with special needs. Eventually, the ride ops just shrugged those complaints off, but it wasn't easy. Once I got "reprimanded" by an area manager about an accusation that I had been "short" with someone... someone who in reality had been screaming obscenities at me for not allowing their wheelchair-bound friend to ride. When questioned by the area manager about my "attitude" I simply responded "Listen here - I look at operating this coaster like driving my car. No one rides in my car in an unsafe manner, because ultimately the responsibility for their safety lies with me. If you have a problem with that, then I'll call you over to operate the ride when a handicapped person insists - that way it's your responsibility." I was never "reprimanded" again.

Now, I was an adult when this occurred... as a teen I may not have had the gusto to refuse.

Shaggy

My mother had spoken of strapping someone in a ride, I never understood what she meant. I mean, it was just a ride, what the hell was she talking about straps for? You pull the lap bar down, some kid shakes it, and off you go.

Your post clarifies things for me.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! I'm NEVER watching ABC "news" again:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-15749655/roller-coaster-safety-are-rides-worth-the-danger-25919392.html

Truly very sad when anyone falls and dies. I mean zero offense to anyone who is handicapped in any way, (I myself have a partial hearing handicap) BUT.... If you don't have legs, don't ride a coaster with only lap restraints! (don't you have to have legs to have a lap?) How is this coaster unsafe or dangerous? If you don't have shoulders, don't expect OTSR's to restrain you. I can't be around loud noises because it causes serious pain to my ear. So you know what I do about loud noises? I avoid them! and I don't expect anyone else to take responsibility for my hearing problem.

From the report, Texas Giant had a problem on the lift hill, train SAFELY stopped, riders SAFELY unloaded with no danger or injuries. So the safety procedures at TG worked and no one was hurt. How does a national news organization deem this coaster dangerous, or this story worth putting on the air? The point of the TG story proves the question posed is complete bull$h!#. This is a perfect example of why legit news is long gone and replaced with crap.

Thanks for reading my rant......... ABC sucks.

It's worth noting that many coasters... including the ones at KI and DL.. have a special harness option for those of a disabled nature. When I worked at KI, there were two amputee season pass holders that regularly rode the coasters I operated. I strapped them into the harness many, many times and sent them safely on their ride.

(BTW - The harness is a specially designed series of straps - much like that of a skydiver harness - that attaches to the rear of the seat and/or car. If you ever wondered why there are seat belt latches on the back of the 3rd - or is it the 4th? - car of The Beast, well they are for the harness.)

Although I have ridden ROS at DL many, many times, I am unsure if it has a harness feature or not. I would assume that being a *newer* coaster that it would. However, if not, I am flabbergasted that he was allowed to ride. Just the mere thought of someone with missing limbs riding a coaster as steep as ROS is enough to frighten me. However, I also can see where someone not wanting to offend (especially a teen) would be hesitant to not allow a disabled person to ride.

Many years ago, when I worked on Chang at SFKK, we received NUMEROUS complaints from people who had a handicapped friend or family member that couldn't scale the steps up to the load station to ride. There was no elevator to the load platform for a reason - and we had to literally explain that it was a STAND UP COASTER. But none-the-less, the ride ops regularly got reamed by guests because we were not being "accessible" to those with special needs. Eventually, the ride ops just shrugged those complaints off, but it wasn't easy. Once I got "reprimanded" by an area manager about an accusation that I had been "short" with someone... someone who in reality had been screaming obscenities at me for not allowing their wheelchair-bound friend to ride. When questioned by the area manager about my "attitude" I simply responded "Listen here - I look at operating this coaster like driving my car. No one rides in my car in an unsafe manner, because ultimately the responsibility for their safety lies with me. If you have a problem with that, then I'll call you over to operate the ride when a handicapped person insists - that way it's your responsibility." I was never "reprimanded" again.

Now, I was an adult when this occurred... as a teen I may not have had the gusto to refuse.

Shaggy

Once the obscentities start, any reasonable conversation is over as far as I'm concerned. You get what you give. And yes, there was a time I would have just let things go-when I was younger-but no more. I don't understand people most of the time, especially in a situation like this.

Not to be rude, but what if an Iraq war vet with no legs had had to walk down those stairs? For quite some time, Knoebels in Pennsylvania had signs on coaster entrances detailing what physical effort could be required to evacuate the ride and advising potential riders not to ride if they physically couldn't handle the rigors of an evacuation.

From the footage I saw of the man at a military ceremony, one leg was amputated well above the knee and the other was closer to the hip. It is not surprising that the lap bar would not properly restrain him when he didn't have a lap.

I can't imagine how he was allowed to ride unless he was wearing prosthetics and didn't notify the park or operators.

Exactly. These Intamin rides lap bars are designed so that upper thigh is the main place for restraints. The seat belts are not the "Intamin" type though.

I really feel badly for the family. My thoughts are with them.

http://www.aolnews.com/story/veteran-killed-at-theme-park-mixed-grit/1706226/

It almost just feels to me, based on this story today, 7-14-11, something just is not right here. I mentioned on Facebook, but it feels

weird saying it. It sounds like it may have been planned. The story says the guy refused pamphlets telling them he knew the rules, and

ignored the red letter signs that said, "Must have 2 legs to ride", rode in the front seat, and the family is NOT suing the park. That to me

just really sounds like they knew what was going to happen. You just can't be that dumb, and NOT know that he was not safe by riding

in his condition. He had ridden it before, when he was younger. So, he knew of the ejector air it gives. I'm sure he was smart enough to

know what would happen if he rode it, without a lap at all. I mean, the guy was a young man, had served in war and lost his limbs. There's

a chance he may have been suffering from PTSS. Maybe depressed about his situation and what he may have saw in war. Maybe, he decided

he was going to do something he loved, and if it cost him his life, so be it. And, maybe he told his family that was how it was. It's just a theory,

based on what this article is saying. Not saying, it IS what happened, just saying what it sounds like could have been the situation.

The only thing about it, that really bothers me is, why the ride ops allowed it. They really should have put up a fight, and called security

and demanded he not ride. Most parks, like at Kings Island and Cedar Point, I know they will not dispatch a ride if any of the ride ops

feel someone is not safe. I saw awhile back on Diamondback, a kid had removed his shoes after he was checked, and the ride op saw it,

and the dispatch was interrupted immediately! That's what doesn't seem right here. The ride ops should have known he was not in

compliance, and if they did know, and allowed it, something is not right there, either.

Not trying to sound like or be a conspiracist here, but this whole thing just seems like it was really no accident.

I feel that it is his parents duty to file a suit on behalf of his daughters. Yea, somethings seem a bit odd, but I don't think it sounds like suicide to me. His nephew put him in the ride, and witnessed the incident. I still feel that the ops are at fault and what they did clearly disregarded the guests safety.

BTW, I read that the crew were all 18 or older. They should have known better.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be rude, but what if an Iraq war vet with no legs had had to walk down those stairs? For quite some time, Knoebels in Pennsylvania had signs on coaster entrances detailing what physical effort could be required to evacuate the ride and advising potential riders not to ride if they physically couldn't handle the rigors of an evacuation.

You know, I've never thought about that. What happens if a guest is wheel chair bound (but can kinda hobble with great assistance) and gets on a ride like Diamondback or Vortex....and then there's an evacuation? How would you go about that?

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! I'm NEVER watching ABC "news" again:

http://news.yahoo.co...r-25919392.html

Truly very sad when anyone falls and dies. I mean zero offense to anyone who is handicapped in any way, (I myself have a partial hearing handicap) BUT.... If you don't have legs, don't ride a coaster with only lap restraints! (don't you have to have legs to have a lap?) How is this coaster unsafe or dangerous? If you don't have shoulders, don't expect OTSR's to restrain you. I can't be around loud noises because it causes serious pain to my ear. So you know what I do about loud noises? I avoid them! and I don't expect anyone else to take responsibility for my hearing problem.

From the report, Texas Giant had a problem on the lift hill, train SAFELY stopped, riders SAFELY unloaded with no danger or injuries. So the safety procedures at TG worked and no one was hurt. How does a national news organization deem this coaster dangerous, or this story worth putting on the air? The point of the TG story proves the question posed is complete bull$h!#. This is a perfect example of why legit news is long gone and replaced with crap.

Thanks for reading my rant......... ABC sucks.

ABC news is government controlled! The federal government HATES the fact that there may be one small aspect of your life that they can't control, so they put out ridiculous propaganda like this!

I stumbled on this topic today and was looking through Intamin accidents and saw that they have obviously had problems with the coaster restraints before. People that have legs have fallen out of the ride before. Now the thing is I saw in a picture of the trains and they had small vertical bars attached to the sides of the trains that run to the floor to keep the riders legs in. I really find no use to that part in any instance, but i believe the problem is the middle bar. If you've ever compared any Intamin Hyper(except Expedition GeForce)/ 1st gen Giga and Top Thrill Dragsters lap bars, you've noticed that Top Thrill Dragsters angle at the top right before the yellow lap bar, where the other doesn't

Top Thrill Dragsters Lap Bar - Link : http://rcdb.com/1896.htm?p=6703

Hyper/ Giga Lap Bar - Link : http://rcdb.com/541.htm?p=12441

When I ride Millennium Force I can still push the lap bar all the way to where the bar is touching the seat, which I believe could be a problem with the restraints. Top Thrill Dragsters restraints have the abilty to go down farther as the bend makes sure the lap bar is parallel to your lap, not your stomach. I really don't think a 13 year old guy should be able to make the lap bar touch the seat.

Now dealing with the guys situation, if the restraints have problems with touching peoples laps already someone without one is unacceptable. I really hope Cedar Point really makes sure they enforce rules against riding without legs or w/ limbs. i believe the guy wasn't wearing limbs but i believe if he was it still would've ended like this. The limbs would not be able to withstand the force of a human during the pressure of lifting up during air- time hills.

I have my prayers with his family, and hope the problem with these restraints will be reformed, and no longer have the ability to happen.

-MagmMForce247 :)

Excuse me for being heartless, but what changed their minds? At first they held no animosity toward the park and said he lived life to the fullest since his horrible injury. I'm thinking the media has changed their minds to go ahead with the suit knowing they will win and making even more restrictions for the rest of us. To kind of tie this in to another topic on this site, all these seat belts, head rests, seat dividers and stapling have led to totally unenjoyable experiences on all coasters. There has to be some room for natural movement on these things; otherwise I think they are actually increasing the chances of injury. I have a bruise on my thigh due to being stapled on racer.

The settlement the family will receive won't bring him back and won't ease the pain they feel for their loss. I am truly sorry he is gone-at least he passed having fun and doing something "normal" that the rest of us take for granted.

and the family is NOT suing the park.

The accident is still very new.

It would not surprise me if they changed their minds at a later date.

Excuse me for being heartless, but what changed their minds?

An attorney on a contingency retainer promising a large payday and one that they will probably win as I believe it is partially deserved as 50% of the blame does fall on the park's shoulders.

• 1 year later...