Cedar Point 7/8-7/9 Trip Report

Scott Evans

Just got back from a great trip to Cedar Point where if the theme was "Do It All" it would be mission accomplished.

We left my house at 5:30am on Friday morning in Verona, KY and drove from there through Dayton in one of the heaviest downpours of rain I have ever driven in (and I drove through Tropical Storm Faye in 2008). That slowed us down about an hour but we kept going only stopping at a rest area that warned us about the lying and non-creative beggars (they evidently kept telling the same lies) and heard two guys in the bathroom talking about how it would take a guy as big as Hulk Hogan to kill them...we got the heck out as quickly as possible, and I loaded the directions to Cedar Point in my Iphone (as I knew the navigation system would not know where Breakers Express was.) When we finally arrived in Sandusky the navigation took me to first street and I turned left towards the causeway rather than right towards the hotel. The girl at the parking window was nice, gave us a turn around ticket, though the traffic directors sent me in the wrong direction so we went down the row of houses before turning around and once again driving through the parking lot finally arriving at Breakers Express. The check in and ticket buying process (for my friend, I have a KI platinum pass) was fast and painless. Then we were finally on our way to the park. Also the Car Locator feature on the Cedar Point app is awesome. We finally made it to the park and hit our first ride Raptor, which was an hour wait, which worried me about the rest of Day 1 as I thought it may be a sign of crowding, the ride was awesome and we moved on, and it was the longest wait of the day. Other notes from the day:

*Rode Top Thrill Dragster with only a 10-15 minute wait. Guy in front of me lost a pair of glasses he was holding for his friend that rode on the train before him.

*Should have only been a 30 minute wait on Mel Force but the operators just as we got to the gate, wasted 10 minutes taking a train off the tracks for no good reason.

*Surprise of the day was how much I enjoyed Wicked Twister which only had a 15 minute wait

*WindSeeker was about a 15 minute wait and was an ok ride. It is very windy at the top.

*Got soaked on Snake River Falls

* The Midway Market was a great value for the meal for the day at 12.99.

* We rode every major ride on Day 1 other than Maxair, Iron Dragon, & Maverick

Day 2: Arrived at 8:40 for early ride time. The girl taking the tickets was confused by the Kings Island logo and had to ask three people if it was valid. Cedar Fair really needs to train the employers better. Anyway got in and didn't realize that people ran as if they were in the Running of the Bulls. We of course were heading towards Maverick but were beat by the marathon runners. Still had a 30 minute wait despite early ride time and the line seemed to move slow. Ride was great. Second day since we got most of the major rides out of the way, we took our time and didn't worry about the ridiculous lines. Most disapointing ride of the day was Shoot The Rapids as we barely got wet, though Thunder Canyon more than made up for that so much that me and my friend used the "family" dryer just to dry off enough to walk comfortably.

Lunch on Day 2 we went outside the park to the Brown Derby Roadhouse which was excellent.

We came back later that night to ride a few more rides and caught the Wheels Extreme Show. Got in Wildcat, Dragster, & Raptor as we left the park around 8:30 after 2 long days at the park.

Ride Count:

Top Thrill Dragster 2

Raptor 2

Cedar Creek Mine Ride 2

Wicked Twister 2

Rest of rides - 1

Blue Streak

Calypso

Cedar Downs Racing Derby

CP & Lake Erie Railroad

Corkscrew

Disaster Transport

Gemini

Iron Dragon

Magnum XL-200

Mantis

Matterhorn

Maverick

Millennium Force

Power Tower

Shoot The Rapids

Sky Ride

Sky Hawk

Snake River Falls

Super Himalaya

Thunder Canyon

Wildcat

WindSeeker

Top 5 Coasters

1. Top Thrill Dragster

2. Maverick

3. Millennium Force

4. Wicked Twister

5. Raptor

Worst coaster: Disaster Transport

Best non-coaster ride: Sky Hawk

Worst : Shoot The Rapids

Also Breakers Express was a good hotel and place to stay, not sure why it gets such bad reviews and the cost was on par with other hotels such as Fairfield Inn or Hampton Inn, especially with the discounted ticket.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, although it sounds like the park was really! packed. An hour for Raptor and 15 min for Wicked Twister?!?! Wow! No wonder I avoid weekends like the plague! Hope you got a ride on Mean Streak without the trims!

Did not ride Mean Streak on purpose. Rode it last year when I had a much shorter visit to the park and did not like it at all, way to rough to be fun (for me).

Friday's crowd wasn't that bad, Saturday was bad plus they had two company events that day as well. Though if me and my friend go there again next year it would be a Sunday Monday trip or a Thursday/Friday trip.

*Should have only been a 30 minute wait on Mel Force but the operators just as we got to the gate, wasted 10 minutes taking a train off the tracks for no good reason.

There are many reasons a train may be taken off, I can assure you their was a good reason for the switch off. MF will run all 3 trains if possible.

Bad Wheel, excessive broken restraints, anti roll back, catch dog among other reasons. As for the stacking, there is no mid course, meaning the whole circuit from top of lift to the end of the break run is one block. Silly intamin.

For this reason, I am not sure if it really makes any difference in capacity whether M Force runs two or three trains.

Bad Wheel, excessive broken restraints, anti roll back, catch dog among other reasons. As for the stacking, there is no mid course, meaning the whole circuit from top of lift to the end of the break run is one block. Silly intamin.

For this reason, I am not sure if it really makes any difference in capacity whether M Force runs two or three trains.

Back in June, I waited for MF during both two- and three-train operation, and I did not notice any difference in how fast the line moved, so I would say that you are correct.