RUMOR: California Great America Closing?

I have read online and on this site that say CGA is closing. I was just wondering if this is true or just a rumor. If it's true OMG YAY because that meaning other CF parks getting new rides but... I don't know if it's true.

Edited by Avatar
Changed title to describe topic more accurately

I didn't find any reasonable source that says it's closing but in the past 8-9 years they have moved a few rides including 2 roller coasters to other CF parks. I think that is why people assume it might be closing.

I didn't find any reasonable source that says it's closing but in the past 8-9 years they have moved a few rides including 2 roller coasters to other CF parks. I think that is why people assume it might be closing.

I can see how it's a possibility. I was lucky enough to visit Six Flags Great America this week (my first and only visit outside of Six Flags Ohio / Worlds of Adventure) and was incredibly blown away. It was a beautiful park with incredible themeing and was incredibly clean and friendly. While in line for their Whizzer, I logged on to RCDB from my phone to see who had manufactured it and found that there was one at California's Great America, too. When I got home, I did more research and found that California's Whizzer is long gone... In fact, California's Great America has only seven roller coasters... Two of which are kids coasters.

I looked at California's Great America's map when I got home to see the similarities and was completely blown away at how small it really is. Now, without Stealth or Invertigo, there are truly very very few large rides left. It does seem to be down that Geauga Lake path, and given the whole stadium ordeal, I can imagine the park is more trouble than it's worth... Maybe like Geauga Lake, it makes more financial sense to divvy up its few worthwhile rides.

All I know is, if they close it I have a wish list of rides I'd like transplanted to Kings Island...

On Screamscape (6/13/11 under Park News), it mentions the lawsuit about an injury on the bumper cars...so its possible that this sparked the rumors? I honestly have no idea...but check it out:

http://www.screamsca...eat_america.htm

Thanks! That may be the reason.

And oh yes they have some awesome looking rides that I would love to ride... at KI!

I think a lot of this stems from the loss of two coasters. That GCI that never was built. The stadium that might be built in the parking lot. Then articles like this http://www.wksu.org/news/story/27583 brought up on that other site followed by endless ranting by a know it all and his minions.

From what I've seen though CGA has been doing well this year. Though if they close KI should definitely pick up their Flight Deck and their Top Spin to replace the current giant variety.

I think a lot of this stems from the loss of two coasters. That GCI that never was built. The stadium that might be built in the parking lot. Then articles like this http://www.wksu.org/news/story/27583 brought up on that other site followed by endless ranting by a know it all and his minions.

From what I've seen though CGA has been doing well this year. Though if they close KI should definitely pick up their Flight Deck and their Top Spin to replace the current giant variety.

Yeah, I really don't know why they would get rid of a roller coaster. That is why people come to theme parks mainly. What can bring up park attendance... adding a roller coaster, not removing one. And yes Top Gun would be a great addition to KI I think we are the only CF park without a Inverted like it.

Yeah, I really don't know why they would get rid of a roller coaster. That is why people come to theme parks mainly. What can bring up park attendance... adding a roller coaster, not removing one. And yes Top Gun would be a great addition to KI I think we are the only CF park without a Inverted like it.

There are plenty of reasons to remove a roller coaster.

In Great America's case, I would say that they recognized that Stealth had better potential at a larger, more metropolitan park like Carowinds (not to mention its removal allowed for the expansion of Great America's Boomerang Bay). Invertigo, meanwhile, can be marketed as new at a park like Dorney whose visitors likely haven't experienced an inverted, face-to-face boomerang, and because there was a lot of negative press around the ride last year when riders were stuck for a few hours on it... Those combined probably made the decision to relocate it a reality.

Also, ask many people here - roller coasters are not always the main reason people go to theme parks!

There are plenty of reasons to remove a roller coaster.

In Great America's case, I would say that they recognized that Stealth had better potential at a larger, more metropolitan park like Carowinds (not to mention its removal allowed for the expansion of Great America's Boomerang Bay). Invertigo, meanwhile, can be marketed as new at a park like Dorney whose visitors likely haven't experienced an inverted, face-to-face boomerang, and because there was a lot of negative press around the ride last year when riders were stuck for a few hours on it... Those combined probably made the decision to relocate it a reality.

Also, ask many people here - roller coasters are not always the main reason people go to theme parks!

WHAT!? They are insane if they took all the roller coasters out of theme parks I would go to the zoo for fun... No screaming, no click click clicks, NO DB! Nope wouldn't do it, I would go crazy haha

They've already removed one coaster from CGA's lineup (Invertigo) and are relocating it to another Cedar Fair park (Dorney Park) for next season:

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/news/detail.cfm?item_id=1069

http://www.wfmz.com/lehighvalleynews/27467102/detail.html

To which this now makes two coasters in Dorney's lineup that are transplants from other parks, the second being their Possessed ride, originally Steel Venom @ Geauga Lake.

They've already removed one coaster from CGA's lineup (Invertigo) and are relocating it to another Cedar Fair park (Dorney Park) for next season:

http://www.cagreatam...fm?item_id=1069

http://www.wfmz.com/...102/detail.html

To which this now makes two coasters in Dorney's lineup that are transplants from other parks, the second being their Possessed ride, originally Steel Venom @ Geauga Lake.

They also once had a ride Stealth that was moved to Carowinds and now named Nighthawk.

WHAT!? They are insane if they took all the roller coasters out of theme parks I would go to the zoo for fun... No screaming, no click click clicks, NO DB! Nope wouldn't do it, I would go crazy haha

I'll take that title proudly for going to the parks for reasons other than the darn coasters.