Virtual Queuing Coming to KI?

thekidd33

Like Six Flags' Flash Pass or Dollywood's queue to queue, you either pay to do other things during the time you would have been standing in line, or for more money , go to the head of the line, or nearly, with little to no wait. At Flags, it can be VERY expensive.

Disney's version is free. So far

Hmm... I'm really showing my ignorance here, but can anyone explain to me what virtual queuing is?

It is basically a system that holds your place in line so you can do other things and not have to wait in long lines. At Disney a time is printed on a slip of paper at the start of the line that tells you when to come back and ride. I am not sure if it is going to be the same system or not but probably so.

Thank you very much, good sir :P I'd used Disney's version before but I just knew it as "Fast Pass" and didn't know that virtual queuing was the proper term for it.

To be perfectly honest I don't really think it belongs in parks. I find that some of the best times to be had at parks will take place waiting in line for a ride. I can't tell you how many times I've been waiting for Diamondback with nearly a full queue and a group of KIC'ers and was having the time of my life just joking around right there in the line. I might even go so far as to say that waiting in line represents a vast majority of the "amusement park experience" so to speak. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not particularly excited about this >.<

To be honest, I've thought that this would be a fairly good idea at Kings Island. Maybe not for us here, but I have gone to Kings Dominion and faced hour long waits for rides during the summer. As an infrequent visitor, I would easily have paid $20 per person (which is about what Six Flag's most basic version of the service goes for) to bypass that. I can see how an infrequent visitor to Kings Island would think the same.

That being said, I think the best paid-for version of the system is SeaWorld / Busch Gardens. You get a little card and as associated wristband. An employee stationed at each included attraction uses a Sharpie marker to scratch out their ride's name on the little card. If you pay for the deluxe version, you get unlimited rides and they don't cross anything off. Their version requires no deposit on the Q-Bot, no lengthy training session, and no returning things to a non-centrally-located office after a long day. And on top of that, it requires little more than to place a "Quick Queue" sign with an arrow near the exit of each attraction.

Another thing they do that I think is smart is blocking off one car of a coaster in the station, and that one car is reserved for Quick Queue visitors. That way, there's not that terribly awkward moment where the operator stops the line and lets you cut in front of people. You're in and then you're out without stepping in front of anyone or disrupting the flow.

The Quick Queue system I used at Busch Gardens earlier this week was very efficient and a huge time saver, I may not have gotten half as many things done without it. This sounds to be more like the system at Dollywood, which also is a big time saver for infrequent visitors.

Both systems were pretty expensive...worth the cost for people who dont go often, but for people like us who go dozens of times a year, I can't see it being helpful, especially since we already know the ideal days to go anyway :P At any rate, I think with the crowds Kings Island draws it would be a good idea, and it could probably generate a sizeable revenue if the price is right. I can't see this being a Kinzel move, what with him and his Cedar Fair removing the Gold Pass lanes at Kings Island, plus it just makes too much sense from an in park spending standpoint to be Kinzelish :P

Are the lines at Kings Island really that bad? Most of the time I go we get all the big coasters done before 1 and if I get their late before close. Do you really want to get the hole park done in a half day?

How many of you guys think you would use something like this? I realize that price would obviously be a factor, but I just can't see myself using this service at KI...now CP might be a different story...

I would use it if it's not too expensive. For one, it would give me more choices for days to go (i.e. right now I stick to weekdays to avoid lines, but with this I could go on a Saturday and not have to stand in those lines). Also, if it's free (or super-cheap), it would let me ride Firehawk more often, which, while I love it, isn't (to me) worth the 45- to 60-minute waits that it can produce even on weekdays.

It also says at the bottom of that thread on TPR that it's rumored to be around $50...and if that's the case, I don't see myself EVER using it! tongue.gif

...but I guess we'll find out the details tomorrow! (I assume that's the Monday we're talking about?)

How many of you guys think you would use something like this? I realize that price would obviously be a factor, but I just can't see myself using this service at KI...now CP might be a different story...

I would use it if it's not too expensive. For one, it would give me more choices for days to go (i.e. right now I stick to weekdays to avoid lines, but with this I could go on a Saturday and not have to stand in those lines). Also, if it's free (or super-cheap), it would let me ride Firehawk more often, which, while I love it, isn't (to me) worth the 45- to 60-minute waits that it can produce even on weekdays.

I see this as a way for the park to bring in more revenue and therefore do not expect it to be free. I also think that we can probably expect price points similar to what is seen at Six Flags parks simply because if its too cheap and everyone is using it, then it defeats the purpose.

So will this be like the Flash Pass?

If TPR is to be believed, we'll find out tomorrow.

I would feel pretty secure that it won't be a distribution-machine Fastpass style system though... So unless a new system is being devised, it'll probably be the Q-bot system (like Dollywood and Six Flags) or a card / wristband style (like Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, and Universal). As I said, I prefer the latter system. Though it only allows one ride on each major attraction (usually with a free "bonus'), it requires less work than the Q-Bot. Though, the Q-Bot does sort of "force" you to enjoy some of the smaller rides, dining, and shopping since you have to wait between attractions.

I would be very surprised if anything was implemented this year. These things take planning and equipment and such. Unless they have been doing all that behind closed dors. But it would seem to me that it would be simpler to just have things ready to go at the start of a new year.

I would be very surprised if anything was implemented this year. These things take planning and equipment and such. Unless they have been doing all that behind closed dors. But it would seem to me that it would be simpler to just have things ready to go at the start of a new year.

I think it may just be a rumor, honestly. I mean, I guess we'll see tomorrow, but...

The new president and not-quite-yet CEO mentions his interest in a "fast pass" system and his intent to bring that into his new parks, and by the next week it is being officially announced?

Either they're planning immediate implementation (which would've required that Lo-Q already has constructed and programmed hundreds of Q-Bots for use in the park), or they're planning for next season (which would raise the question - why bring it up now? Given that this isn't necessarily marketing-friendly before implementation, why bother even bringing it up until next spring? It seems unlikely to drive season pass sales, and even if it would, season passes aren't on sale yet...)

And there's always the hope that they're considering something available to everyone like his former home's FastPass. I admit that I use the pay-for line-jumping options when I visit other parks, but I also admit that I think it's very unfair. And worse, I think some parks flaunt the paid-for line jumpers, halting the regular line and theatrically allowing the guests to merge ahead. But do it the wrong way, and the line jumpers do not come across as a living, breathing advertisement for the system,. I don't want to cut someone in line then come face-to-face with them once they're allowed to proceed after me, making snarky comments. Perhaps that's just the price of paying to cut?

I really hope they also do this for the haunts in Halloween Haunt.

They tried it for a single year back in 2005 using the same method as the Speed Lane for certain attractions that same year (IJ, Drop Zone, Wild Thornberrys, etc.). Unfortunately, they always managed to run out of passes an hour or two after they started handing them out.

But if there's one aspect of the park that would benefit from a FastPass system, it would be the Haunt. Lines can reach up to over 2+ hours even on a Friday, and attempting to get through every maze in one night is almost impossible. A single use pass would net the ability to get through every house within the span of 1-2 hours. It would also help those who only go to the Haunt once during its run. Halloween Horror Nights does the same thing, simply called the Express Pass.

Thank you very much, good sir :P I'd used Disney's version before but I just knew it as "Fast Pass" and didn't know that virtual queuing was the proper term for it.

To be perfectly honest I don't really think it belongs in parks. I find that some of the best times to be had at parks will take place waiting in line for a ride. I can't tell you how many times I've been waiting for Diamondback with nearly a full queue and a group of KIC'ers and was having the time of my life just joking around right there in the line. I might even go so far as to say that waiting in line represents a vast majority of the "amusement park experience" so to speak. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not particularly excited about this >.<

Same here. For me, part of the experience is being with friends in line. We're all old, and we work, so being in line gives us time to catch up with each other. I recall in the early eighties, we'd get a big order of fries and eat them in line. I don't know if that's allowed anymore, we don't do it just in case. It can be great laughs in line.

I'd wait in line all the same, but I can see a family that are only there for a weekend doing a Fastpass deal, they only have a limited amount of time.