Fast Lane

muppetfan1999

@Interpreter I know. I'm just talking about paying for incentives/exclusives. Fast Lane is an incentive for paying extra money to skip the lines. Just as Holiwood nights is an incentive/exclusive event (ERT/Meals/Walkbacks) for roller coaster club members (that you have to pay to be a part of). I was saying that if you complain about that then you COULD theoretically complain about other things such as Holiwood Nights or incentives for being a season pass holder.

So basically this boils down to if you can't afford/want to spend extra money on a Fast Lane pass; Tough luck. You should have managed your money better? I still think this goes back to the basic principles we are taught in elementary school. Stand in line and wait your turn.

Why is KI, or any business, required to follow elementry school rules?

^Yeah.

I don't understand why people are having such a difficult time understanding that KI, and other businesses, are here to make money 1st and our enjoyment falls after that.

Is it fair? Depends who you ask. One thing for certain, life is not fair. Why KI needs to be fair confuses me. Do I wish KI was less expensive? Absolutely. I also understand the more money KI makes, it will increase the enjoyment of my experience long term.

Sports stadiums have premium seating and luxury boxes. These areas are closer to the action and have perks. I would love to sit in a luxury box, but there is no way I can afford it. Am I upset that someone else can enjoy it? No way. I am happy to enjoy the action from a less expensive seat, one that I can afford.

^Yeah.

I don't understand why people are having such a difficult time understanding that KI, and other businesses, are here to make money 1st and our enjoyment falls after that.

Is it fair? Depends who you ask. One thing for certain, life is not fair. Why KI needs to be fair confuses me. Do I wish KI was less expensive? Absolutely. I also understand the more money KI makes, it will increase the enjoyment of my experience long term.

Sports stadiums have premium seating and luxury boxes. These areas are closer to the action and have perks. I would love to sit in a luxury box, but there is no way I can afford it. Am I upset that someone else can enjoy it? No way. I am happy to enjoy the action from a less expensive seat, one that I can afford.

^This post, right here! Tiered experience is what this is. These kinds of experiences are everywhere. As Browntggr mentioned - sports stadium, you can also find similarly tiered experiences nearly everywhere you go. A few years ago I flew to New Jersey. It sucked, I had to wait for forever to board my plane. All those people in first class got on first and had better seats. Was I bitter that I couldn't afford those seats? Not at all, if I wanted them I would've bought them. I didn't, but others chose to, good for them.

My concerns with Fast Lane is not whether there is a moral issue here about it, there's not - similar things have existed throughout the industry for years and even at KI several seasons ago. Clearly CF has made it clear that they like this program so get over it, it's here to stay. What I'm concerned about is how they execute it. They seem to playing single A ball while even Six Flags has grasped how the MLB handles a Fast Lane system.

Clearly CF has made it clear that they like this program so get over it, it's here to stay.

So...with this kind of attitude there never would have been an American Revolution...a protest against the Vietnam War...

I choose the road less traveled.

P.S. Nothing personal Gordon...you know I like you a lot. :)

• Like 1

Clearly CF has made it clear that they like this program so get over it, it's here to stay.

So...with this kind of attitude there never would have been an American Revolution...a protest against the Vietnam War...

I choose the road less traveled.

P.S. Nothing personal Gordon...you know I like you a lot. :)

Trust me, nothing personal taken! :) You know I think you're awesome.

I think the American Revolution and Vietnam are a little dramatic of a comparison, haha.

My point is, systems like this are an industry standard and a tiered experience not uncommon in the entertainment realm. Where I see problems with Fast Lane is how they execute it, I think it really gives off an of "unfair" to guests who aren't buying it. Hence why we saw that article someone posted recently. You can use it an unlimited amount of times and while they claim they cap it, they're certainly waiting quite awhile on busy days to cap it. Other parks in the industry utilize timed systems with an electronic assistant, CF gives you a free for all with wristbands and the regular folks waiting in line can clearly see those guests coming back and going over and over again.

I think there's a nice balance that can be found to make such a system work well in the eyes of both premium and regular paying customers, they just need to implement that.

• Like 1

I think fastlane is a great idea, but the way they executed it is not similar to any other park ive been to with fastpass/ Fast Lane/q-bot. Kings Island doesnt need the disney style system to make it work effectively. i went to kennywood in pittsburgh and they have what is called the american coaster tour. they only sell the pass to a limited number of guests all day and gives you a riding rotation so that you have a time to be at the ride. they only put a limited number of riders on every half hour and you can only ride the ride once. it looked to work very effeciently for both the people that spent the extra money and those waiting in line.

The thing is if they started with a system like that, the ones who are complaining about the current system now would still complain with the same vigor no matter what system the went with. Who's to say they start the season with this basic system to absorb the new ride line areas, then next season go with another complex system that cost the park more to operate. This way they keep the cost balanced for the first year going into effect. The guests who may not like the system may embrace a different system the following year versuses them hating it from the start.

^I would agree and I don't think many of those who have criticisms now would still be complaining. Clearly there's a standard set in the industry that many other parks have followed and tweaked to their own respective situations. I think there's better options and models to follow out there. What's the old saying?

"If you're not going to do something right..."

The thing is if they started with a system like that, the ones who are complaining about the current system now would still complain with the same vigor no matter what system the went with.

(emphasis added)

I must admit that I am surprised by your generalization.

Honestly I was generalizing more due to other Cedar Fair parks implementing the new system this year, do they are going through much of the same as we did last year.

Bottom line for me I appreciate a fast line type of system for guests who may need them for their own purpose to enhance their park experience. But have said that I do worry about the current system in that it has proteintial to be abused.

The only difference between Fast Lane and luxury boxes are that luxury boxes do not make the experience for the people who choose not to buy them worse. Fast Lane, last year, drastically increased the wait time for people who didn't buy the passes. They need to merge the Fast Lane with the regular line at some point and even out the flow of people a bit. Last year it was Fast Lane riders come first and if we can fit any regular line customers on the train we will.

• Like 1

@kingsrattler & @BrownTggr- I think you both didn't understand my post, My last line said: I can't fault them as a business for trying to make more money. IF you don't like it: TOUGH LUCK!

I said I, like many others, do not like the way they implement the Fast Lane Passes. They say they limit the passes but who actually knows what the "limit" is. We all saw what happened during the HH last year. I would venture to guess if the park's capacity is around 80,000 It would NOT surprise me if they sold 35,000+ Fast Lane passes. I don't care if you have the money to blow and spend on it go ahead. Do what YOU want to do. Some people think that the best way to experience the park is watching all the shows. Some people think that the best way to experience the park is riding all the rides. Some people think that the best way to experience the park is to stay in Soak City all day. People have different opinions of what a "great day" at the park is... If that means you feel that you need to spend more money on a Fast Lane pass to have a "great day" at the park, so be it.

The thing that I don't like about the program is that like TTD-120-420 said is "The only difference between Fast Lane and luxury boxes are that luxury boxes do not make the experience for the people who choose not to buy them worse. Fast Lane, last year, drastically increased the wait time for people who didn't buy the passes."

The sports analogy is fine. BUT the people who bought the more expensive seats DO NOT affect the way you watch or enjoy the game. Fast Lane does affect the way you (General public) experience the park, at least when it comes to the wait times and line length for rides.I think that is where the main problem is and where the elementary school rule came into play.

I said we, as the consumer, can't do anything about it. KI and CF are businesses they can do WHATEVER THEY WANT. I said if they wanted to charge for entry and per attraction ($5 to ride the DB) so be it... I know profit comes first before the consumer. I understand how the business works. I said I don't like it. But again I said ultimately my opinion, just like every other person who dislikes/Likes/doesn't care about this program, DOES NOT MATTER! That's why I said tough luck! Because we as individuals cant do anything about the Fast Lane program except either:

A. boycott anything that has to do with KI until Fast Lane is removed...

or

B. Sit there and take it.

B will be chosen because you have no other choice if you want to enjoy the park.

But in the end all this fussing and arguing about whether Fast Lane is Moral/Fair/Likable/Implemented well is MOOT! The passes are here to stay and we as the general public can only either Buy the passes or not buy the passes. I dont like the passes but ill take waiting an extra 5-10 minutes in line the DB if the park uses the money made wisely and builds more rides...

@kingsrattler & @BrownTggr- I think you both didn't understand my post, My last line said: I can't fault them as a business for trying to make more money. IF you don't like it: TOUGH LUCK!

Yes I did understand your post, which is why I only quoted the "elementary school" portion of it. After that, the discussion had nothing to do with you. :rolleyes:

The only difference between Fast Lane and luxury boxes are that luxury boxes do not make the experience for the people who choose not to buy them worse.

You would be surprised on how die-hard fooball fans would not agree with you, especially when it comes down to PSL's.

Yes I did understand your post, which is why I only quoted the "elementary school" portion of it. After that, the discussion had nothing to do with you. :rolleyes:

You responded to my comment so i responded to your comment. Sorry for having an opinion about this topic that differs from yours. I thought that was a point of a forum to openly discuss your ideas and opinions about certain topics...

Thanks for putting this KIC "rookie" in his place. Ill make sure NOT to respond to you since your response to my comment apparently "Had nothing to do with me"

• Like 2

I can't help but wonder…what happens when or if the Fast Lane lines start getting long?

Since there's a limit on the number sold, they shouldn't get too long.

Well that's the point, they shouldn't get too long, but for all of us who visited during HH last year - they most certainly did. The Firehawk line filled up the fast pass lane all the way to the ride entrance. They were doing one entire train for Fast Lane folks and one for us "regular" people. Now tell me, how does that not effect wait times? They need to get a real thing in place, not some cheap buck a second wrist band idea. It's time they stepped up to be one of the major league parks.

• Like 1

You responded to my comment so i responded to your comment. Sorry for having an opinion about this topic that differs from yours. I thought that was a point of a forum to openly discuss your ideas and opinions about certain topics...

Thanks for putting this KIC "rookie" in his place. Ill make sure NOT to respond to you since your response to my comment apparently "Had nothing to do with me"

Again, the only part of your comment that I discussed was what I quoted. Other than that, none of your comment was referred to.

Can I buy you a cup of coffee? I do that for people that seem to be having a bad day. :)

Interesting comment by the KI Facebook page:

Fast Lane doesn't make the lines any longer, as those with Fast Lane passes would still be in line for the rides and attractions. We measured the wait times prior to Fast Lane and again after this premium option became available. The wait time on most days was a relative match.

Interesting comment by the KI Facebook page:

Fast Lane doesn't make the lines any longer, as those with Fast Lane passes would still be in line for the rides and attractions. We measured the wait times prior to Fast Lane and again after this premium option became available. The wait time on most days was a relative match.

Unless you happened to be a single rider on Diamondback...

I think that Fast Lane is okay. If a person wants to do everything they want to do in only one day, good for them.

Maybe a discount should be added for Platinum/Gold/Season Pass holders? Like instead of $50, the wristband is $45 for pass holders. Pass holders get certain perks at some KI shops, restaurants, etc., why not on FL?