Fast Lane

muppetfan1999

In all seriousness, though, I do agree with what you're saying. Too much nickel and diming just gives a bad taste in ones mouth, especially for un-needed services like this!

Here you go.

Up-charges for un-needed services.

You hit the nail on the head.

These experiences are NOT necessary to enjoy your day at Kings Island. Seeing the Dinosaur park is not needed. Fast Lane is not needed. The 3-D movie is not needed. Laser tag that is not needed. NONE of those activities are required to enjoy your day at the park. So why you complain, I don't know... After all, I think you've made it very, very, very clear that you don't partake in those "un-needed services," so you haven't spent a single cent more this season than you did last season, and have had the exact same experience to show for it. Why are you complaining? You have no interest in the laser tag, you have not paid extra for the laser tag, and thus you have not been affected whatsoever by the laser tag's presence.

Quite the opposite, making things like the dinosaur park, new 3-D film, laser tag, parking, and Fast Lane free would exponentially increase the daily admission ticket.

Better to have the OPTION to pay for it and not do so, than to pay for it and not partake.

In all seriousness, though, I do agree with what you're saying. Too much nickel and diming just gives a bad taste in ones mouth, especially for un-needed services like this!

Here you go.

These experiences are NOT necessary to enjoy your day at Kings Island. Seeing the Dinosaur park is not needed. Fast Lane is not needed. The 3-D movie is not needed. Laser tag that is not needed. NONE of those activities are required to enjoy your day at the park. So why you complain, I don't know... After all, I think you've made it very, very, very clear that you don't partake in those "un-needed services," so you haven't spent a single cent more this season than you did last season, and have had the exact same experience to show for it. Why are you complaining? You have no interest in the laser tag, you have not paid extra for the laser tag, and thus you have not been affected whatsoever by the laser tag's presence.

Quite the opposite, making things like the dinosaur park, new 3-D film, laser tag, parking, and Fast Lane free would exponentially increase the daily admission ticket.

Better to have the OPTION to pay for it and not do so, than to pay for it and not partake.

No, you sir hit the nail on the head. Great post, and along the lines of what I said 4 posts earlier :)

Beatle, I totally disagree with your perspective again, respectfully but still...

My 3 yr. old daughter cannot stop talking about Dinosaurs Alive and it's my fondest memory of KI in quite awhile. Maybe it's not your thing, WindSeeker isn't mine either (I didn't even bother to ride it but I so love it as an addition, amazing lighting makes such a difference at parks and WindSeekers just look cool), but it is going to be a grand slam for KI. You simply can;t debate that nor how much it was being enjoyed by adults and kids alike. Everyone from older folks to Canadians to tattooed tough guys were getting their pics in front of the Dinos.

Seriously, have you seen the T-Rex? We stayed a bit and people were AMAZED by it. Sorry if you don't like it. Actually, I just don;t want to hear about it anymore.

I should also add that my wife and I work very hard and do have good incomes.

David, trying to be respectful.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you missed the point I was attempting to make. Since the topic is about Fast Pass, I pointed out that, in my opinion, Fast Pass was just another way in which guests are being nickle and dimed. The other things I cited were just other examples to illustrate my point. If people like the attractions, God bless them, but that has nothing to do with my opinion that the park seems to be adding far more things that require people to reach deeper into their pockets and far fewer things that do not.

If you truly truly truly believe that these people are being somehow conned or unfairly pressured into buying this Fast Lane option, then be thankful that you are smart enough to not "waste" your money as you believe they are.

Yes, the park is adding more up-charge attractions to the park. But I stress again that on a most basic economic level, they cost x amount of money to install, period. That amount, x, can either be made up separately by guests selecting if they'd like to partake, or wholly by increasing the cost to enter the park or to buy a pass. Perhaps with a $1.25 price increase for a daily ticket or $10 extra for a season pass, things like Fast Lane and Dinosaurs Alive and the laser maze could be included with park admission. But if you aren't going to bother using Fast Lane on that Wednesday in May, or going through the laser maze, or seeing the dinosaur exhibit, than you are paying more than you did last year, but gaining nothing new.

As it is, you pay the same amount that you paid in 2010 to get the same experience you had in 2010 (and essentially get a $4 million new attraction for free). If you'd LIKE to upgrade to some other new things, you need only pay a bit more.

It's clear that some people will never be happy. Whether YOU like it or not, Dinosaurs Alive is a massive addition, and the park HAD to pay for it. Now, that cost is being passed on to visitors, and instead of spreading it out and charging EVERYONE (even those with no desire to see it), the park has chosen to charge only those who wish to gain access to it. That's about as fair as it could be, right? Because if daily tickets were $64.99 this year and Dinosaurs Alive was "free," people on here would complain that they don't like dinosaurs and that their admission price went up to see an exhibit they'll never see.

"For just a few dollars more..." That is how businesses make money. The $9 dollar toaster on the end of the aisle at Walmart is a throwaway, but it does its job - to lure you into the middle of the aisle where things are regular priced or even higher than at their competitors. "Wow, a $9 toaster?! Well if the prices are this low, I may as well get the $13 version. Oh, but look at the $15 one... That's ONLY two dollars more..." "You've got two of the buy three get one free... Would you like to grab two more and only have to pay for one?" "If you make this a combo you'll pay only 40 cents more and get a small drink!" "If you'd like to add the 3-D film, it'll only cost two dollars more per person!" EVERYPLACE does it. I understand that Kings Island is close to our hearts, so we feel more emotionally struck by a "nice, benevolent, loving, happy" place doing it. But at its core, Kings Island is a business.

• Like 1

If you truly truly truly believe that these people are being somehow conned or unfairly pressured into buying this Fast Lane option, then be thankful that you are smart enough to not "waste" your money as you believe they are.

Yes, the park is adding more up-charge attractions to the park. But I stress again that on a most basic economic level, they cost x amount of money to install, period. That amount, x, can either be made up separately by guests selecting if they'd like to partake, or wholly by increasing the cost to enter the park or to buy a pass. Perhaps with a $1.25 price increase for a daily ticket or $10 extra for a season pass, things like Fast Lane and Dinosaurs Alive and the laser maze could be included with park admission. But if you aren't going to bother using Fast Lane on that Wednesday in May, or going through the laser maze, or seeing the dinosaur exhibit, than you are paying more than you did last year, but gaining nothing new.

As it is, you pay the same amount that you paid in 2010 to get the same experience you had in 2010 (and essentially get a $4 million new attraction for free). If you'd LIKE to upgrade to some other new things, you need only pay a bit more.

It's clear that some people will never be happy. Whether YOU like it or not, Dinosaurs Alive is a massive addition, and the park HAD to pay for it. Now, that cost is being passed on to visitors, and instead of spreading it out and charging EVERYONE (even those with no desire to see it), the park has chosen to charge only those who wish to gain access to it. That's about as fair as it could be, right? Because if daily tickets were $64.99 this year and Dinosaurs Alive was "free," people on here would complain that they don't like dinosaurs and that their admission price went up to see an exhibit they'll never see.

"For just a few dollars more..." That is how businesses make money. The $9 dollar toaster on the end of the aisle at Walmart is a throwaway, but it does its job - to lure you into the middle of the aisle where things are regular priced or even higher than at their competitors. "Wow, a $9 toaster?! Well if the prices are this low, I may as well get the $13 version. Oh, but look at the $15 one... That's ONLY two dollars more..." "You've got two of the buy three get one free... Would you like to grab two more and only have to pay for one?" "If you make this a combo you'll pay only 40 cents more and get a small drink!" "If you'd like to add the 3-D film, it'll only cost two dollars more per person!" EVERYPLACE does it. I understand that Kings Island is close to our hearts, so we feel more emotionally struck by a "nice, benevolent, loving, happy" place doing it. But at its core, Kings Island is a business.

So would you prefer it if KI became a pay per ride park? It appears that is what you are advocating.

So would you prefer it if KI became a pay per ride park? It appears that is what you are advocating.

If you don't mind I like to add to this side discussion.

I can certainly understand the concern on the many up-charges that are creeping in at Kings Island and as well as other amusement/them parks. But I can also understand Kings Island introducing some extra pay attractions that would not be brought in otherwise due to the high numbers of season pass guest who visit. A park that has a lot of season pass holders does need to be creative in bringing in unique revenue sources. In the past we seen Kings Island bring in special entertainment to help in bringing guests.

There is at least one poster here who strongly feels most avid park enthusiasts would be better off, as would most parks, with a low admission, token charge for parking, pay by the attraction model for rides, shows and experiences...with either no season passes or very high priced ones. Parks would no longer be baby sitters, attractions would either pull their own weight or be gone, lines would be much shorter, experiences would be grander and profits would either be higher or the same on lower costs...

I never go at crowded times, so, this does not really bother me personally...though, I can certainly see where some folks might get a case of the red ass about it. Lets face it, the amount of upcharge attractions is growing, and will continue to do so.

There is at least one poster here who strongly feels most avid park enthusiasts would be better off, as would most parks, with a low admission, token charge for parking, pay by the attraction model for rides, shows and experiences...with either no season passes or very high priced ones. Parks would no longer be baby sitters, attractions would either pull their own weight or be gone, lines would be much shorter, experiences would be grander and profits would either be higher or the same on lower costs...

That sounds a lot like the early days of KI! And brings up thoughts of a co-worker who asked me what parks other than KI I would recommend because, as she put it, "We paid for our tickets, but then everywhere we turned they had their hands out looking for more money." It made me wonder how many families share her sentiment and are spending their nickels elsewhere as a result........

That sounds a lot like the early days of KI! And brings up thoughts of a co-worker who asked me what parks other than KI I would recommend because, as she put it, "We paid for our tickets, but then everywhere we turned they had their hands out looking for more money." It made me wonder how many families share her sentiment and are spending their nickels elsewhere as a result........

Well said, both of you. Hits it spot on.

Here you go.

Here's the thing about what you said here. If I don't do Dinosaurs Alive, watch the movie, and play laser tag, I wont even miss those things, because I have no interest in them. That is

correct. The Fast Lane interferes with my day and how I enjoy it. It will keep me from selecting my favorite seat on Beast or Diamondback, and make me have to wait a cycle on WindSeeker.

Those things DO change the dynamic of how I would enjoy my day. So comparing Fast Pass to Laser Tag is comparing apples to green beans! They are not the same things at all. That is

why I complain about this system. It will keep me from having a good day at Kings Island. It could even lead to Guest Relations to make a formal complaint.

By the way, I saw on this post earlier, that it was said that no one had complained about the system to whatever date that was. I don't believe that at all. But, if that is the case,

I will be the first to file a formal complaint on the system, just so they can no longer make a claim like that. I will know its a lie, and call them out on it!

You do realize they're not gonna say there were complaints about Fast Lane if there's only a miniscule amount of them, right? Heck, they never acknowledge the fact that people have negative opinions on stuff with as many people no Facebook whining this year about WindSeeker, DA!, Fast Lane and what have you.

I also love the comment someone said earlier about people on KICentral being their most loyal "customers". Really? The ones who pay a one-time fee of $165 to get unlimited access to all the Cedar Fair parks without paying per visit? The ones who don't spend money in the park on food because it has either a high price or a low quality? The ones who only come to the park to marathon roller coasters and pass all the other attractions in the park simply because they don't register with said people as "thrill rides"? The ones who complain about the park not giving them a coaster every year because they're instead catering to the families that spend well over $200 in one day as it's their one trip to the park this season? That's not loyalty; that's outright selfishness.

I do have to add one thing that hasn't been acknowledged. Let's say, hypothetically, that you love Action Theater and hate WindSeeker. Then you not only got nothing new to add to your experience, but had something you like turned into an upcharge, Not that I liked Action Theater or dislike WindSeeker, just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Here's the thing about what you said here. If I don't do Dinosaurs Alive, watch the movie, and play laser tag, I wont even miss those things, because I have no interest in them. That is

correct. The Fast Lane interferes with my day and how I enjoy it. It will keep me from selecting my favorite seat on Beast or Diamondback, and make me have to wait a cycle on WindSeeker.

Those things DO change the dynamic of how I would enjoy my day. So comparing Fast Pass to Laser Tag is comparing apples to green beans! They are not the same things at all. That is

why I complain about this system. It will keep me from having a good day at Kings Island. It could even lead to Guest Relations to make a formal complaint.

By the way, I saw on this post earlier, that it was said that no one had complained about the system to whatever date that was. I don't believe that at all. But, if that is the case,

I will be the first to file a formal complaint on the system, just so they can no longer make a claim like that. I will know its a lie, and call them out on it!

Let me establish a quick aside. I worked for years at a summer camp for children with special needs. What we learned more than anything is CHOOSE YOUR ATTITUDE. On the rainiest day when you're stuck inside changing diapers and averting disaster and trying to maintain control while you attempt so hard to communicate with non-verbal children, it's a drain. You're tired. You feel like you're not getting anywhere. But if you have already promised yourself that you'll CHOOSE YOUR ATTITUDE, you make the best of it. You see the light, and you power through. It makes you feel better and it makes everyone AROUND you feel better.

I think many of us here are a testament to that philosophy. I have no doubt that so many people on this site could visit the park on the rainiest, coldest, bleakest day with every single attraction closed all day long and STILL have the time of our lives with friends, shows, food, dancing in the rain, being soaked but cracking up about it... Because we can choose our attitude. I'm sorry, RaptorGuy, but you are SUCH a negative presence here if not THE negative presence. Every decision the park has made, you have threatened to report to guest relations. I have yet to read a concrete, negative experience that you or ANYONE else has had in regards to Fast Lane. You still haven't actually said, "I visited the park on this day and watched 400 people get on the ride and they kept going around and around and around and I waited 3 hours for Diamondback." It's all just potential with you. It's all preachy hypotheticals.

And you know what? If the very fact that Fast Lane exists can (and I quote) "keep [you] from having a good day at Kings Island," then my God, I don't know what we can do for you. It's a mentality, my friend. It really is. I have no doubt in my mind that you skulk around the park sighing and rolling your eyes and trying to preach to anyone near you about the evils of the Fast Lane like you do here. I'm truly not trying to be mean when I say: shut up and have fun. WORST CASE SCENARIO, you have to wait 5 extra trains for Diamondback (and that's given that more than 150 Fast Laners "cut" you). EVEN THEN, you're talking about an extra 5 - 6 minute wait based on dispatch times.

I think it's been proven through testimony (of both Fast Lane users and those who have been "cut" by Fast Lane users) that the difference in wait time is truly unnoticeable. But if you have already made the conscious decision that you simply cannot and will not have fun at Kings Island because Fast Lane exists, then you would waste your own time and money by visiting. It is a happy place at its core, and if you choose to let your day suck, then (guess what!) it will suck. If you decide before you even step out of the house that you'll have fun, then you will. Try it sometime. Until then, just go to the f&*$)#g park and make a complaint at guest relations so you can stop threatening to do it. Trust me, while your opinions will be heard, they are NOT the opinion of the majority OR of those in power. So say what you need to to release steam to people who will actually listen and then be done with it. And next year, buy a pass, or don't buy a pass. THAT'S how to show them "who's boss," not by being negative on an unofficial online message board and threatening to maybe tell someone at the park.

GYK, a little fed up.

P.S. I'd love to work in guest relations long enough to hear you "file your formal complaint."

"Hello, ma'am! I'd like to file a formal complaint about Fast Lane!"

"Alright, what was your experience?"

"Well... Nothing... But I don't like the idea of it!"

"Did it make your wait times longer?"

"IT SURE FEELS LIKE IT. But..... no."

"Okay, thanks for your input."

"Also make a note that I hate the Dinosaur thing that I've never seen, and that WindSeeker was a terrible idea... But I like it."

"Sir, any additional wait time you experience due to Fast Lane users is pretty much negated by the addition of WindSeeker and the amount of people who are queueing for it at any given time."

"Well, we'll see if I buy a pass next year!"

"Okay, thank you for your comments sir, I'll pass them on."

You do realize they're not gonna say there were complaints about Fast Lane if there's only a miniscule amount of them, right? Heck, they never acknowledge the fact that people have negative opinions on stuff with as many people no Facebook whining this year about WindSeeker, DA!, Fast Lane and what have you.

I also love the comment someone said earlier about people on KICentral being their most loyal "customers". Really? The ones who pay a one-time fee of $165 to get unlimited access to all the Cedar Fair parks without paying per visit? The ones who don't spend money in the park on food because it has either a high price or a low quality? The ones who only come to the park to marathon roller coasters and pass all the other attractions in the park simply because they don't register with said people as "thrill rides"? The ones who complain about the park not giving them a coaster every year because they're instead catering to the families that spend well over $200 in one day as it's their one trip to the park this season? That's not loyalty; that's outright selfishness.

If I could, I'd hand you a cigar through the monitor.

I chose to eat in the park for that reason, the pass pays for itself very quickly.

GYK:

If you worked in GR and addressed the public with questions like you proposed asking RaptorGuy, I doubt you'd last the entire day. GR has its methods and policies and asking upset guests the type of questions you posed in an attempt to get the guest to admit the park is right and the guest is not is not among them. In fact, some would see such a colloquy as being pretentious. Honest.

It's not about convenience, or wait times, or anything other than a thousand nickels per person. Let's look at the things that CF has added this year: 1. Parking from $10 to $12 per car; 2. A fake dinosaur park ($5.00 per person); 3. A 3D youtube movie ($2.00 or $4.00 per person); 4. That laser tag or whatever it is thing ($5.00 per person); 5. Fast Pass ($50.00 per person); and, 6. WindSeeker, which, as the lone exception to the rule, is free. And there are people who still insist that KI doesn't try to nickel and dime its patrons. Look for the 40th Anniversary addition to be a birthday party clown who you can see for only $5.00 and who will make you a balloon sculpture for only $4.00 more. (Not to mention the fact that they will market this as a "thrill ride.")

Several points:

1. Nickel and diming

2. fairly expensive upcharge-especially for a family, Hurt my wallet a good bit...especially since my wife wasn't feeling well and we missed the movie we paid for.

3. I see this as making something out of an attraction that was not very profitable...Action theater, which was already half replaced with a haunt right- I never go anymore

4 upcharge "fun" thing that would be a total waste for me but liked by others. Also, it's better than an empty building right?!

5. Fast pass- Very expensive upcharge targeting infrequent visitors that want to make the most of a rare trip, this has nothing to do with their 'regular' patrons who you claim are being nickel and dimed.

6. The only thing besides general maintenance and building/midway improvements that would have been typically added.

Oh, I forgot the other thing I love so much about the park this year... Coney Mall improvements. I haven't even been there at night barely walked through it my one trip but it felt great. I can't imagine how good it will look at with WindSeeker lit up at night. Oh, someone else forgot about all that too... and apparently good River Town and Planet Snoopy look. Let's face it folks, things are going well.

I hate being Dickel and dimed and have recently had a very blunt conversation with the CEO responsible.

If I were Mr. Ouimet or any other CF exec., I would be very focused on short term gains to pay off debt. Then, since CF would be the whop :lol: I would focus on guest experience.

I hate the idea of pay to cut but see it as a great way to maximize a rare opportunity and I'm willing to wait a little tiny bit longer on some fast passers if CF finds other ways to make up the difference. I would love to use a fast pass at any 6 Flags parks because I never go. If fast pass bogs down the lines for certain seats I will be very upset!

Ringmaster, I vote for you for post of the day...or yesterday :blink:

Well, I got paid today plus I had some leftover cash in my budget from last month, so I decided to splurge on a Fast Lane pass for this Saturday. I've wanted to go on a midnight closing day for a while now, but I've never done so because I know those days are super busy. I have yet to witness the system in action from either side yet (the only day I've been there since the Fast Lane began was for Coasting for Kids, so I was on The Racer until 7pm that day), but this should give me a look into how well it's run from the "inside", as well as letting me get plenty of rides in. I'll try to keep track of how it goes and report back, either here or in a trip report.

They are really trying tho shove this thing in our face now! When I arrived at the toll gates, I noticed the girl who was checking me in was wearing a "Fast Lane" button! So, from the get

go today, my blood was starting to boil! Then as I was walking from my car to the front gate, I saw an ecology associate wearing one, and now it's boiling more! I went into the front

gate, and I of course expected to see the giant monstrosity sign that I knew was already there from a week or 2 ago. That one made me mad the first time, so I wasn't as mad

seeing that one. Then I see a new sitting on the walkway up to the Eiffel Tower, and now I am huffing and puffing! Then I walkback to WindSeeker and notice they now have directional

signs on that pointing to where the Fast Lane entrance is, and when I saw that, I BLEW MY STACK! This is WAY OVER THE TOP! I was riding The Racer tonight, and the ride associate

was wearing a button, and I spoke loud enough to be heard and told who I was with that I don't like those buttons! The ride associate heard me and said, "Oh, you don't like my button?"

I replied, "I don't like the message it says!" This shameless plugging of this thing is just getting more annoying everytime I go to the park! All it says to me is, "We want to rip you off, and/or

make you feel bad that you can't afford to skip the lines!" When this first started, it was kind of kept under the rug, and it wasn't as noticeable that way. Now, its to the point that its

making less interested in going to the park at all! I will continue to do whatever I have to do, to discourage its existance when I am at the park, and if the management of the park

don't like that I do that, well they can sit and spin!

I have not seen it posted here yet. Fast Lane is now ALL DAY!!!. It is no longer just from Noon to 7PM.

From the reports I have heard, this is being lightly used. I am glad about that for 2 reasons. If it is lightly used, then it will not be worth the bother and will go away and while it is around it won't make much of an impact on non-users.

On the flip side, I hate what the addition of the Fast Lane has done to The Beast station. There is another tread on that topic, so I won't go into it any further. All these changes have turned me sour to KI and really make me question next years Platinum Pass purchase.

This is just a test. It may change again, or even a hundred times. It may be adopted chainwide. Or go away. The price could go up. Or down. Q-bots could appear. Or bracelets with one provision for each ride. Front seats could be reserved ONLY for premium Fast Lane buyers. Season passholders may be given a discount on ONE Fast Lane purchase. The discount could be 90%. Or a nickel.

Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Fast Pass has not caused anyone to lose anything. It just creates an option for an added perk.

Raptor Guy is a moron. Plain and simple.

He has been nothing but an albatross on this site since Cedar Fair took over. First, he took credit for Winterfest coming back. I don't know why he would, that failed. So he blames it on Dick Kinzel.

He claims they'd never change The Racer to have both sides forward again. They did. He said he would have that changed. It never changed.

He said he'd never ride WindSeeker (but he'd ride Cedar Points) and that he was boycotting it. Now he posts about how he loves it and never said anything like that.d

He threw a temper tantrum when they added Dinosaurs Alive. An optional upcharge attraction that he doesn't have to see or even visit, but somehow it's still a problem for him.

Shall we even touch on the topic he made claiming Haunt was unsuccessful and morally wrong?

He was responsible for planning one ACE event. I showed up and apparently wasn't on the list and was sent home packing.

Raptor Guy is the reason there are stereotypes about ACErs who like Gravy in their fanny packs.

It was all day Fast Lane when I was there, but it wasn't bad. I saw the bracelets allover the park, but when it came to rides, only two or three people were in line, at most.

The cleanup of lines actually benefitted me, at times I got on the ride before the Fast Laners. Perhaps it's best to attend the park in twos. I didn't see any of the Fast Laners being snarky or rude.

I did see a lot of measuring kids for rides, and checking on the sample seats for fit.

I wish some moms would understand the size standard is a safety issue. I saw more than one mom, it's never the dad when I see it, carry on like a Banshee because their kid doesn't fit the ride. I saw one little guy with a orange paper Cedar Faire bracelet on, and found out that it was a "this tall to ride this ride" bracelet. More of those would help speed the line, by stopping the moms arguing with ride ops.

The thing about Fast Lane that I don't like and I plan on sharing my concerns with KI. They were assigning seats for Flight of Fear today, but they would just let the Fast Lane people go where ever they wanted! So if feel sense they paid the $50 dollars they get special treatment. Just my opinion! also while waiting in line for DB today full que, the line took quite a bit longer to get there, the line didn't seem to move as fast. They were a quite of few of Fast Lane users passing us up!

I have not seen it posted here yet. Fast Lane is now ALL DAY!!!. It is no longer just from Noon to 7PM.

From the reports I have heard, this is being lightly used. I am glad about that for 2 reasons. If it is lightly used, then it will not be worth the bother and will go away and while it is around it won't make much of an impact on non-users.

On the flip side, I hate what the addition of the Fast Lane has done to The Beast station. There is another tread on that topic, so I won't go into it any further. All these changes have turned me sour to KI and really make me question next years Platinum Pass purchase.

Dave, I must agree with you! My Platinum Pass has been used at Cedar Point as much as it has at KI this year!