Fast Lane

muppetfan1999

I'd be fine with a price increase. $70 for a Gold Pass (bought during October sale last year) is too cheap. $52 at the gate or $52 online for a 2 day pass is too cheap. I'd pay $125 for Gold and $200 for Platinum happily. I'd pay $200 for my Gold Pass, but I'd kvetch about it.

Just as an example:

150 guests x $33 = ~ $5000

100 guests x $50 = $5000. With 50% less crowd, 50% less complaining, fewer staff, fewer parking spaces to maintain, less trash to clean up, a generally higher quality of guest that yells less, offends people less, creates less trash to clean up, cuts in line less, shorter lines, better guest experiences.

The trick is to find the right point on the supply/demand curve where revenue, and profits, are maximized. This is basic capitalism 101, and Cedar Fair is a business, plain and simple. Things like the Fast Pass experiment are testing that curve, that's all. I applaud them this decision, and I hope they learn something that makes the park experience better in the long run, whether that means enhancing the Fast Pass program, tweaking it, or scrapping it.

Why not add $50 to the admission and everyone get the Fast Pass?

That would defeat the purpose.

If nothing else, this thread reveals to me the people who "get it" and the ones who don't. Sadly only a handful of people "get it."

It's a shame, everyone here wants to sit and take shots at people with "more money" and claim people buying this pass have a "sense of entitlement." That entitlement line could be used to describe many people on this site who threw a fit over ERT and the addition of Dinosaurs.

People, this is really simple. The pass is no different than what you find at a baseball game. It's a tiered system. Boddah1994 and I go to a Reds game. I purchase a $5 ticket, sit up top in the nosebleeds and watch the game. Boddah spends $250, gets a Diamond seat, he's right behind home plate and has access to free food, nicer restrooms and a better view in addition to other perks.

You get what you pay for.

You people on here act as if this Fast Lane system is some version of class warfare. It's not. It's simply a perk available for purchase. I can't believe how immature some people are being. Wake up and get real, there will always be people making more money than you.

Don't want to pay for this perk? Then don't buy it. You've lost nothing. Simple as that.

[quote name='pat' timestamp='1311147590' post='434783'

You people on here act as if this Fast Lane system is some version of class warfare. It's not. It's simply a perk available for purchase. I can't believe how immature some people are being. Wake up and get real, there will always be people making more money than you.

What do you mean, you people? Had to...

I agree 100% with Gordan (TRUST THE GORDAN'S FISHERMEN...erm, sorry) I've heard in posts that this is keeping the normal folk from getting on the rides...Uhm, excuse me? I work darn hard for my money and I can afford this perk, and If I'm going to buy then I'm going to buy it. I don't think it would make me feel anymore elite than the other people (although for anyone who ha been in this kind of system befroe you know how it feels when you bypass all of the other people waiting in line....) If anything that same attitude that YOU put out can be brought right back to YOU...

Thats just my two nickels....

• Like 1

Should those who cannot afford admission or a pass get the same privileges as those who can? After all, would it be fair for some to enjoy Kings Island while others with less money cannot? Equity demands equality in park experiences regardless of ability to pay, no?

While this is true, the difference IMO is that adding Fast Lane is by it's very nature taking away something from everyone else that is not using. If Fast Lane is lightly used, then that something will be minor and hardly noticeable. If on the other hand it is widely used, that something could create a noticeably different and negative park experience. Again if it is lightly used, then it won't be generating the income to justify the additional expense and the potential operational impact of dealing with 2 lines.

If nothing else, this thread reveals to me the people who "get it" and the ones who don't. Sadly only a handful of people "get it."

I was thinking the same exact thing...we finally agree about something in this topic! :lol:

I would like to say that I am enjoying this topic very much. I like a spirited debate...especially on a subject that I am so passionate about.

I have (obviously) read this whole thread and from what I can tell, there are actually 3 factions here:

1. The people who like this idea AND think the price is fair.

2. The people who like this idea but think the price is NOT fair.

3. The people who do not like this idea at ANY cost.

(I fall into the third catagory...I do not care if this perk would cost 50 cents...I don't believe in it.)

I would also like to point out that the MAJORITY of the people who are against this perk do not seem to be bringing up a class system...it is mostly the people who are for the system.

In closing I would hope that everyone keep in mind that when I post something it is not meant in a "mean" way. :)

People, this is really simple. The pass is no different than what you find at a baseball game. It's a tiered system. Boddah1994 and I go to a Reds game. I purchase a $5 ticket, sit up top in the nosebleeds and watch the game. Boddah spends $250, gets a Diamond seat, he's right behind home plate and has access to free food, nicer restrooms and a better view in addition to other perks.

This is not the same at all. When you go to the ball game you are both seeing the same game the same number of times and it is not like Boddah is standing in front of you blocking your view on every third pitch. When someone cuts in front of you with the Fast Lane, they have taken something from you. That may be just a few seconds from your day, but it still is gone. Add it all up and it might just be a couple of laps on your favorite coaster during the day. While many say Big Freakin Deal. For most of us, it isn't, but for someone that is pushing the budget to just get to the park for their one and only visit, it could be.

There seems to be multiple camps that are against this.

The first being the ones that want to use this but can't afford it.

The second are the ones that want to use it but think that they should get a break because they have a gold pass.

The Third is the ones that feel that it is unfair to those that are not in the Fast Lane. This is the group that I belong in.

I understand the park it trying to maximize every opportunity to create income. That is their job and responsibility to the share holders. I would suggest that they change this to a system like what Silver Dollar City, Kennywood or Busch Gardens uses. You can purchase an upgrade that allows you to skip the line once on each of the rides it is offered on. This would satisfy those that are willing to pay to cut, bring in income and yet still keep control of the number of seats that are going to Fast Lane. Under the current unlimited ride model it is anyone's guess at how this will effect ride times.

To funny, I was writing this at the same time as StandByMe with much of the same sentiment.

I understand the park it trying to maximize every opportunity to create income. That is their job and responsibility to the share holders. I would suggest that they change this to a system like what Silver Dollar City, Kennywood or Busch Gardens uses. You can purchase an upgrade that allows you to skip the line once on each of the rides it is offered on. This would satisfy those that are willing to pay to cut, bring in income and yet still keep control of the number of seats that are going to Fast Lane. Under the current unlimited ride model it is anyone's guess at how this will effect ride times.

Actually, Busch Gardens offers the exact thing that Kings Island has introduced. It's called the quick queue unlimited pass. ($40 at Williamsburg)

I'd be fine with a price increase. $70 for a Gold Pass (bought during October sale last year) is too cheap. $52 at the gate or $52 online for a 2 day pass is too cheap. I'd pay $125 for Gold and $200 for Platinum happily. I'd pay $200 for my Gold Pass, but I'd kvetch about it.

Just as an example:

150 guests x $33 = ~ $5000

100 guests x $50 = $5000. With 50% less crowd, 50% less complaining, fewer staff, fewer parking spaces to maintain, less trash to clean up, a generally higher quality of guest that yells less, offends people less, creates less trash to clean up, cuts in line less, shorter lines, better guest experiences.

The trick is to find the right point on the supply/demand curve where revenue, and profits, are maximized. This is basic capitalism 101, and Cedar Fair is a business, plain and simple. Things like the Fast Pass experiment are testing that curve, that's all. I applaud them this decision, and I hope they learn something that makes the park experience better in the long run, whether that means enhancing the Fast Pass program, tweaking it, or scrapping it.

You are speaking my thoughts. Mr. Oumet (sp?) brought up a more "family friendly" atmosphere. I'd pay twice as much if I didn't have to be in the same park as the Adolescent Daycare Center. I wouldn't kvetch about it, either. I looked at my receipts. I paid 99 dollars each for two passes. That's two park admissions. I'm already getting into the park for free at this point. And so are all the other people that bought season passes, sadly, that includes the kids mama drops off at the gate, so she can forget about her obnoxious output for the day.

We've all seen less than human behavior in the park, and even though the stereotype that people like to bring up is "The entitled family"; remember, I was once in line with my family once, too, and loved every minute, even standing in line, we didn't shove you, or curse at you, or break in line.

It's not the family groups creating the problems in the park. I was a teenager myself, but bought my own pass, which means I had to have a work ethic. That pass was dear to me, because I knew the hours it took to earn it, and I knew the time in the park was precious to others. too. It's not all teenagers, it just so happens to be the ones that have parents that won't teach them basic manners or ethics that make the most problems. Why do you think the parents drop them off? To get away from the idea of parenting.

When Lesourdseville got desperate, and started with discounts, and cut rates, and cheaper prices, it went downhill. It became dangerous. Pricing is actually another weeding process. I'm okay with that. If it weeds me out, then I'll just have to earn more to get my precious pass. Disney is expensive, yes, but at ten years old, I was allowed to walk alone in that park for three days, and never had a problem. King's Island can use a better clientele. All these discounts and bargains are creating an unappreciative atmosphere in the park.

If the passes become to expensive for some people, we can start a bucket fund for people on the forum. I'd rather have you lot roaming the park, even at my expense.

GYK...I just wanted to say that I always love reading your posts...and usually agree with most of them...but I do have to point out contradictions in these two:

Consider how few people will actually pay an extra $50.00 for this. Really consider that.

But AGAIN, we're talking an additional 2-3 minute wait for you, and the park is making BUNDLES of money which WILL come back to us in the end.

(I added the bold face type for emphasis.)

Which is correct? In your opinion is the park going to be selling a lot of these or not? :P

Secondly...I don't EVER EVER want to see you complain about high prices for food or anything since it is your belief that all of the money the park makes comes back to us in good ways...and not just to pay for golden parachutes. :)

Why can't it be both? If the park sells 100 of these a day (which is obviously a fraction of a percent of that day's attendance), they'll have made a cool $5,000. That's no chump change. And again, this system does not require expensive machines that need maintained and staffed. For all intents and purposes, its revenue is its income.

I don't understand people making this a moral issue, or pretending it's some atrocious thing that they can't imagine. For all the naysayers, if you visited Busch Gardens Tampa ONE TIME every few years and had to option to skip hour long lines for $50 extra, would you? If your answer is yes, then you have no right to complain about this, because the people taking advantage of this system will be folks who only get to visit a few times a year.

And the absolute most ridiculous thing is the people pretending this is going to extend their wait times. Besides the sheer math that proves that in MOST circumstances your wait will be virtually unaffected, the only REAL day of the week this is going to be employed is on Saturdays, maybe Sundays during concerts or events. The long and short of it is, if you visit on those days, you're asking for a long wait anyway, so a few added Fast Lane users will make virtually no difference in the scheme of things. I'd wager that many of the people complaining are season passholders. And if you choose to use that season pass on a Saturday, you will experience long waits with or without the Fast Lane users factored in. (And if you do complain, I'll have to laugh - you park for free, get in for free, spend no money on the Fast Lane option, and then expect to be prioritized above those who pay an extra $50? Come on now... Those who spend the most get the most. If this is a surprise to you, then I extend a warm welcome and hope you are enjoying your trip to the United States.)

GYK, who thinks he "gets it?" I'll let someone else judge that.

Well if you "get it" I don't want it :)

GYK, In an earlier post you mentioned about waiting till a Saturday to see just how this will impact the park, yet you keep spouting your opinion that it will make little to no difference. If you want those that think it will cause longer wait times when compared to not using it to hold off with their opinions, why don't you do the same?

So after a little reflection, here are my thoughts:

- I'm not a fan of this type of line cutting system being introduced at KI as I believe it will at times increase my wait time for rides (if it is 3-5 minutes per ride, that could become an extra 30-45 minutes in line on a given day)

- I understand KI implementing it, however, as they are competing in an environment where this type of system exists and think $50 is a fair cost for this type of perk

I have used Q-bots and Fastpasses at other parks, but likely won't at my home park. As said, as a guest, I'm not a fan, but this is a selfish (and maybe hypocritical) response that may be more rooted in a dislike of a change and fear of impact that I don't understand yet, but would probably do something similar if I was in charge.

I do hope that they test this, and adjust if necessary to make it good for the park and not impactful to regular guests.

This is not the same at all.

When you go to the ball game you are both seeing the same game the same number of times and it is not like Boddah is standing in front of you blocking your view on every third pitch. When someone cuts in front of you with the Fast Lane, they have taken something from you. That may be just a few seconds from your day, but it still is gone.

No, I believe it's very similar. If I'm in the upper deck and I want a hot dog, I have to get up, wait in line, purchase it and then go back. If Boddah wants one, an attendant brings it to him. This may just be a few seconds from my day, but it still is gone.

Also, the people purchasing Fast Lane tickets are still people who would be riding rides regardless, they'd be waiting in line anyways - thus they could still be waiting in front of you.

Add it all up and it might just be a couple of laps on your favorite coaster during the day. While many say Big Freakin Deal. For most of us, it isn't, but for someone that is pushing the budget to just get to the park for their one and only visit, it could be.

You're one incident mentioned earlier that occurred at a Six Flags park isn't an example of how this system works or how the operators have been seating people. The past two days, nothing similar has been seen or reported on this website. I went today and for a short time yesterday with my little sisters and had no problems.

Under the current unlimited ride model it is anyone's guess at how this will effect ride times.

And after two days of it we're still alive and fine. When Gold Pass Speed Lane was here, wait times weren't even affected to a relevant degree. VIP tours with the option to do the same perk (that have been an option for a few seasons), also haven't affected wait times.

Simple folks, you don't want the perk - don't buy it, come enjoy your day like normal.

Simple folks, you don't want the perk - don't buy it, come enjoy your day like normal.

Again, this is assuming that line wait times won't be affected, if they are there won't be anything normal about it. The first couple of days of this new offering can hardly be considered evidence as to how this will be come Saturday or even next month.

My wife and I will be there next Monday. We're traveling to my High School reunion in southern Ohio over the weekend so we'll be in the area. Haven't been for three years when it was one of our first dates.

I heard about this Fast Lane thing this week and it seemed pretty extravagant. I figured going on a Monday it probably wouldn't be necessary. But I said to my Wife "if we get a $100 donation this week we'll get the Fast Lane". Her info web site accepts donations, and one that large is rare. Well lo and behold today we get a $100 donation! I'll let you know how it goes next week. Don't hate me, it was fate :lol:

Yeah, I recommend going to the park and trying it out without the Fast Lane. Probably the biggest money the park will make is off people who buy the Fast Lane online before visiting, only to arrive and find that they don't need it...

Yeah, I recommend going to the park and trying it out without the Fast Lane. Probably the biggest money the park will make is off people who buy the Fast Lane online before visiting, only to arrive and find that they don't need it...

Can you buy it for the day when you are there?

Hopefully they will see that no one is buying them and lower the prices. And if I remember pass holders used to get this feature for free.

Which was something nice for their passholders, but that was during Paramount's time.

Not to mention it was certain days of the week (Tuesdays or Wednesdays, I think) and I recall having to stop at a special booth and get some sort of validation ticket with a return time or something (though I was young at the time).

Also, lowering the price to entice more people to use it is not something I'd root for... If it were $25.00, the Fast Lane queues may be as long as the regular ones...

Tuesdays were Double Ride Tuesdays where you could get a second ride on a coaster without having to get off in a specific row. Wednesdays I believe were early openings for Boomerang Bay. Saturdays and Sundays were the walk-on specials were you could hop on specific rides without waiting in line (Drop Zone, Delirium, Haunted Castle, River Adventure, and Stunt Track). I forget what Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays were, though...