My KI questions

Dustin

It has been a few years since ive been able to make it to KI and I had a couple of questions. I plan on going next wednesday and im hoping the heat and being the middle of the week helps me with smaller lines but my questions are

Does anyone know if The Vortex has been reopened yet? It would be a trip to KI if its still down. I love The Vortex

and second is the Backyard bbq worth it. Can I buy tickets at the gate for it? I assume once you leave you have to buy another ticket?

And any feedback on the rivertown junction buffet?

Vortex: It wasn't open yet yesteday.

Backyard BBQ: I think it is, if you aren't picky about what time you eat. Probably the best value you'll find in the park. It's only from 5:30 to 7 and yes, you do buy your tickets at the gate.

Rivertown Junction: Personally, I like it. I know some people who don't like it, but when I went I thought the food was good.

If I may add to the list of questions from KI enthusiasts who have been away for a while, I'm planning to go this weekend for the first time in a few years so I'm going to get to experience some "new" rides. I had someone I work with tell me that to ride Firehawk, you are not allowed on the ride with anything at all in your pockets... I've been looking for some kind of confrimation of this, but haven't been able to find anything. Is it true? Also, are you required to keep shoes on while riding Firehawk, or is there anyplace you can stash flip flops while you ride? I've done suspended coasters and others before and managed, but I've never ridden anything like Firehawk and I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how to pack away sunglasses, flip flops, etc to ride it. I know, simple noob question, but I'd appreciate any help!

We're looking forward to it and it will be my yearh and a half old son's first trip to a park. While he won't be able to ride much, we just want to see how he handles the crowds and the few rides he can get on. We have a group of 6 adults so we can take turns riding. I've heard there is a rider swap available, but again, I can't seem to find any details about it. Can anyone give me any insight on how it works.

I appreciate any feedback!

There are one time use lockers outside FoF/Firehawk. Flip flops cannot be taken off on Diamondback. There IS a child swap program. Ask at GR. And anything not 100% secure in your pockets on Firehawk WILL fall out. Stuff in your front pockets can also hurt. I have seen ride ops check pockets on Nighthawk at Carowinds, but not at KI.

If I may add to the list of questions from KI enthusiasts who have been away for a while, I'm planning to go this weekend for the first time in a few years so I'm going to get to experience some "new" rides. I had someone I work with tell me that to ride Firehawk, you are not allowed on the ride with anything at all in your pockets... I've been looking for some kind of confrimation of this, but haven't been able to find anything. Is it true? Also, are you required to keep shoes on while riding Firehawk, or is there anyplace you can stash flip flops while you ride? I've done suspended coasters and others before and managed, but I've never ridden anything like Firehawk and I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how to pack away sunglasses, flip flops, etc to ride it. I know, simple noob question, but I'd appreciate any help!

I have never seen them check pockets on Firehawk. Your flip flops can be left in the station on Firehawk; however, those plus souvenir cups and prescription glasses are the only things that can be left in the station. Everything else must go with you on the ride or be left in a locker or with a non-rider. Bags (backpacks, purses, etc.) are not allowed in line at all. Fanny packs are allowed on the ride, but you will be asked to move the pack over the the side of your body, as it would interfere with the restraints if left in front.

Dont waste your money on Backyard BBQ. It's a misleading advertisement. It's not really a BBQ. it doesn't even have hamburgers. It's steamed hot dogs, pulled pork, chicken fingers and some sides. Nothing is grilled. I ate there for July 4th in '10 and got an upset stomach. I don't recommend eating there. The Rivertown Junction is probably more worth your money. They have good food in there! I also recommend Outer Hanks and the Outer Hanks Backporch. Both are good value, as well.

Thank you all for the quick responses.

I typically wear cargo shorts at the parks so I can stuff things in the pockets and fasten them closed. I will make sure keys and anything loose that could get out is left off the ride though. Haven't decided if I'll wear flip flops or not yet, but just wondered how it worked. It's gonna be a hot one Saturday so I'm probably leaning that direction at this point.

Dustin, sorry to add questions to your thread, but I figured it made more sense than to start an entire new one. Have a great time!

is the Backyard bbq worth it. Can I buy tickets at the gate for it?

Yes, the Backyard BBQ is worth dropping $13.99 on. Me and my family took avantage of the meal this past 4th of July and was very pleased. Fried Chicken, Mac'N'Cheese, Baked beans, rolls, chips, Pulled Pork BBQ, unlimited soft drinks, Brownies and prizes for the kids.

You can either buy a print at home Eticket HERE or you can buy them at the entrance to the picnic cove on the way to BB. ~Bon Appétit~