Diamondback already losing its touch?

mrben06

Yesterday when I rode Diamondback for the first time in about a month it seemed extra bumpy and rough. Normally the ride is very smooth even in the back seat (which is my favorite). However it already seems to be wearing down. The people I was with also made the same comments that it was not as smooth as the usual. Has anyone else experienced this recently?

I thought it was a little rough at the bottom of the 1st drop and the drop coming out of the hammerhead turnaround sitting in the last row. But the rest of the ride is smoth as butter =) I've ridden Diamondback 18 times this season (54 total) and it has aged a little since 2009 but it is still one of (if not the) smoothest coaster in Ohio.

Yesterday when I rode Diamondback for the first time in about a month it seemed extra bumpy and rough. Normally the ride is very smooth even in the back seat (which is my favorite). However it already seems to be wearing down. The people I was with also made the same comments that it was not as smooth as the usual. Has anyone else experienced this recently?

Diamond back rough? Are you kidding? If you're not, thay have a kids area, you know........

You really can't complain about Diamondback, it's not even close to rough. Have you guys ever ridden an Arrow?? or Mean Streak last season?(I think it's smooth this season!) Now those examples are rough, in all respect to people's opinion's Diamondback doesn't have one part that jarr's you into the side hurtfully or makes you bang your head against the headrest. You're just not going to ever see Diamondback "lose it's touch". It was designed by people that are known for smoothness and have great wheel assemblies. Look at their older coasters, that are the age of some arrows and you can't tell me that their rougher in any close perspective. The rattling on Diamondback might be annoying but it isn't close to hurtful in any way.

Just my opinion

-MagmMForce247 :)

rode back seat of green train the other day and it had a little bit of a virbartion. I would not call it rough. I think it probably is the wheels on that particualr train because I noticed the same thing last year on one train and then on another it was smooth as glass. It certainly did not take away from the ride, but was noticable.

I actually see where the OP is coming from, I've had a few rides near the back and on the "edge seats" that I would consider bumpy. My last ride in the back seat reminded me of a ride on Magnum XL200. That being said, I think it could very well be the fact that certain wheels need replaced. I've never had a bumpy ride near the middle or especially the front of the train, and to me the front seat is as smooth as Millennium Force. Sitting on the "edge seats" add a degree of bumps, so if a smooth ride is more important than getting a better view, sit on the inside seats.

I did notice that Diamondback is rough compared to Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster, which are smooth as glass.

Apples and Oranges my friend thats like saying Nitro and Kingda Ka are smooth but El Toro is as Smooth as Glass :P.

If you want a rough coaster Go ride Wildcat at Lake Compounce or Hurler at Kings Dominion I tend to think outside of the box ;).

If you want to really ride a smooth coaster, buy a roller coaster simulation game and load it into your computer or watch it on your HD wide screen TV. The fun of riding a coaster is feeling the click and clang of the rail and being thrown against the side in a sharp, high speed turn. But I prefer the wooden coasters over steel coasters any day.

• Like 1

So maybe I went too far in saying it lost its touch LOL. I'm not trying to complain or act as though the ride is horrible or something.. I'm sure it was just the wheels like someone said before. Diamondback is one of the smoothest rollercoasters that I've ever ridden. I was just commenting that this past time I rode it just felt rackety and I've never experienced that before. I always sit in the back and never a problem. But oh well, its still the best at Kings Island, so I can't complain much. Vortex..now thats another story LOL. And Mean Streak at Cedar Point is a headache waiting to happen.

I sat in the back inside seats (row 15) and got a pretty large buzz that was more noticeable than earlier times. I have noticed the appearance of this buzz recently, normally on the inside seats. The ride was smooth but the buzz wasn't rough, just a little uncomfortable.

If you have ridden a lot of B&M coasters, you might notice that they do tend to develop a few rough spots in areas over time. However, this really is not significant in making the ride "rough", it just seems a bit more rough than you might remember when it opened. Also, the current state of wheels can make a big difference. If you happen to ride just before they change some wheels, you might have a much rougher than normal ride.

I think since the rear seats stick out of the track they prob. tend to vibrate more?

The rear seats may have more vibrations dur to them being over the wheels.

I would not consider Diamondback to be a rough coaster. It rides smooth and changes directions seamlessly. However, it does have really rough, strong vibrations (which I notice more in the back of a train). I don't know what causes it, and I don't notice them in the front of the train. I think Flight Deck and Vortex have a 'smoother' feel to them. Yeah, the changes in directions can be jerky and you bang your head, but they 'glide' and there aren't vibrations for the duration of the ride. Diamondback shakes you, others jerk you.

• 4 weeks later...

Diamond back rough? Are you kidding? If you're not, thay have a kids area, you know........

Why would thinking that the ride is bumpy in a few spots qualify a person to be relegated to the "kids area?"

I thought it was a little rough at the bottom of the 1st drop and the drop coming out of the hammerhead turnaround sitting in the last row. But the rest of the ride is smoth as butter =) I've ridden Diamondback 18 times this season (54 total) and it has aged a little since 2009 but it is still one of (if not the) smoothest coaster in Ohio.

I totally agree. These two points in the ride feel very bumpy to me, which in turn creates two uncomfortable spots in an otherwise enjoyable ride.

I noticed the same thing starting last year. Last season the green train seemed particularly rough (by DB standards) especially toward the rear of the train.

This year the trains all seem equal, but since I tend to ride in the first couple seats where it is MUCH smoother I don't really mind. I enjoy the back too, but prefer the smoothness of the front. Back in my 20's I probably wouldn't have cared!

I had a similar experience with Dominator when it was located at Geauga Lake, I had noticed a little rattle (back of train) then the following year, it was smooth as glass. I mentioned it to a ride operator, he said. "The wheels were just changed out a few days ago". So, depending on wheel condition, I think this could be a factor.

I don't know anything about how often they change the wheels but when I rode last Tuesday I didn't notice any rattling and I was sitting in the last row. When i got off I looked at the wheels and they seemed to be new - I remember looking at them after getting off a "bumpy" ride earlier this year and the wheels looked pretty worn down, so I don't know if all three trains had their wheels changed (or honestly if they were changed or it was just my imagination) but the two rides I had last week were very smooth.