Carowinds' Giant Frisbee?

http://www.thecoastercritic.com/2011/07/survey-markers-for-carowinds-rumored-2012-ride.html

New survey markers have appeared at Carowinds that read "HUSS GF". The thought is that they'll be getting a Giant Frisbee like our Delirium or Cedar Point's maXair. It's certainly not a very well-concealed plan, but Cedar Fair doesn't seem the kind of company to intentionally mislead as part of viral marketing.

A few things I gather from this (which may be completely off base):

1) Somehow, despite multi-month downtimes for Delirium, maXair, and The Crypt, Cedar Fair seems to still find HUSS and their Giant Frisbee worth building. And since their favorite company Intamin makes a Gyro Swing that is very similar, I'd say they either have a lot of faith in HUSS, or a lack of faith in Intamin.

2) Carowinds is a park that Cedar Fair values (for now, though that may change as quickly as the future of their Son, which seems even more in-flux than the future of our Son). It's been given a lot of attention under both Paramount's banner and Cedar Fair's, which to me seems strange. Perhaps the company wants to make it more of a destination. And why shouldn't they? It's about as "south" as the seasonal Cedar Fair parks go, and it's near some vacation spots and some comparatively safe metropolitan areas. The additions we've seen at that park seem to point to a passive plan to really beef it up and milk its potential.

I've never been to Carowinds. For those who have, is their enough visitorship to justify the Giant Frisbee? Or would a smaller, arguably more fun model work just as well...? Thoughts?

Or would a smaller, arguably more fun reliable model work just as well...?

Fix'd. :P

I saw the Screamscape post of this and wondered, WHY?

Also, the Cedar Fair HUSS rides aren't the only ones with bad reliability track records. Timber Tower down in Dollywood is closed for the rest of the season because of the need for new parts.

Dollywood's sign says much more than waiting for parts; it says they're in a contract dispute.

I think HUSS is like B&M in many ways. They innovate. They build new, unique, technologically-advanced rides with many moving parts and control systems. Consider how much precision is involved with the spinning arms and rotating gondola of a top spin, or how exactly and minutely precise a computer must read to ensure that the frisbee is at a complete stop at its exactly specified "home" location with no stabilization from beneath. They try unique things, then other companies come in and try to improve them (Top Spin -> Zamperla Windshear; Frisbee -> Intamin Gyro Swing, etc). But the NEW HUSS that is responsible for most of those rides just seems to have absolutely terrible reliability and functionality.

Even their regular sized rides seem to be maintenance nightmares, closed as much as they're open for their first few years and still sporadically shuttered in the years after. Interesting rides? Sure. But one has to wonder if it's worth it. At least twice, Delirium has been closed for months at a time "awaiting a part from Germany." Does that seem right? I don't think it should... And maybe that is the basis of Dollywood's contract dispute. Wouldn't a contract promise an operable ride with minimal downtime? And I think we know that Timber Tower never met those standards...

And really, how much was TOMB RAIDER: The Ride? And has it ever worked right? Has it ever met the specifications promised by HUSS, even in 2002? We can't know without having read the contract they signed, but if Paramount had endured years of Delirium's issues and not ensured that TOMB RAIDER: The Ride's contract read differently, than I suppose there's no one to blame here but Paramount... Closed for months at a time, just as its Frisbee cousin was... And then an entire row was removed, with HUSS seemingly conceding that their 77-person ride was never going to work (visit HUSS' website now and your very own Giant Top Spin comes with 54 seats max; that is to say, they seemingly admit that the 77-seat model was unrealistic). And really... Shouldn't someone be given some sort of refund or voucher for that? I mean, really...

But Cedar Fair still buys from them, so apparently they do something right (or do something cheaper than their competitors...)

I highly doubt that they will be removing either Delirium or MaxAir and sending it to Carowinds. All the times I`ve been to Carowinds, and I`ve made numerous visits including visits in 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009 and 2010, the park has had little to no crowds. Granted the last few visits were on opening weekend, but still. The Charlotte area is a growing area. They obviously hope to continue to grow the park and the revenue coming from the park.

Comparing HUSS to B&M. I don`t see the comparison you are trying to make. B&M doesn`t innovate too much. Instead, they seem to rely on tried and true designs, and make extremely reliable rides. HUSS rides are more innovative, and thus have issues with downtime.

I highly doubt that they will be removing either Delirium or MaxAir and sending it to Carowinds. All the times I`ve been to Carowinds, and I`ve made numerous visits including visits in 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009 and 2010, the park has had little to no crowds. Granted the last few visits were on opening weekend, but still. The Charlotte area is a growing area. They obviously hope to continue to grow the park and the revenue coming from the park.

Comparing HUSS to B&M. I don`t see the comparison you are trying to make. B&M doesn`t innovate too much. Instead, they seem to rely on tried and true designs, and make extremely reliable rides. HUSS rides are more innovative, and thus have issues with downtime.

I guess what I meant was, B&M is sort of the front-runner when it comes to "unique" coaster designs. The four-across trains. Inverted, standing, flying, floorless, dive machine... To me, they took the traditional roller coaster experience and found ways to make it new and fresh. HUSS, in my opinion, did the same with flat rides, making them more accessible to larger parks by upping the scale and creating permanent installations instead of carnival ones, and trying out new designs and seating arrangements.

Sure, the reliability is night and day. But even though B&M is more commonly thought of as the company that uses tried and true methods without any fancy launches or excessive moving parts, think about it - floorless coasters... Dive machine holding brakes... Flying coasters... Their rides are increasingly more technology heavy, and I think we're starting to see the point where innovation meets reduced functionality when their flying coasters poop out a few times a day, or the floorless station gives SheiKra a hassle. Just as HUSS has taken other company's flats and made them larger and cheaper, B&M has really found their niche in the niche market, if that makes sense. They both have a lot of specialties.

Today is Coaster Stock at Carowinds so if there is anything said about a new attraction you will be hearing about it in a day or so. I was there last year and they talked about getting more money for Halloween for this year. Then they would be getting a major attraction for 2012 or 2013. I don't remember it may have been starting construction in 2012 or it would be for 2012. They also said last year that they would be closing later in 2011 and that has happened.

I would have liked to go this year but it looked like it would be too hot like last year. I also remember having a run in with Paul Blart Carowinds Cop to start the day and Buford T. Justice at closing that turned me off. They let you in and say go where ever you want that's how they roll. Then Paul Blart comes after you for trespassing before your one hour into the day. I was just walking around the park like we was told we could do. At closing time everyone was to stay and ride Intimidator but they forgot to inform Buford T. Justice as he was going to see we all got out.

Not saying it will happen but there's also the chance that IF Carowinds gets a Huss Frisbee another park might lose one.

Like, Kings Island, perhaps. (well, there is that 'major' announcement coming in August)... juz sayin'

Delirium is a very popular ride and was just added to the Fast Lane deal. So I don't see it leaving anytime soon. If anything Max air at CP would be removed because of similarities to Skyhawk.

Not saying it is or isn't, but It seems everyone is stuck on another Delirium. That is not the only type of ride they make you know! We have to keep our minds open to other ideas as well.

HUSS G F is being interpreted as HUSS Giant Frisbee.

It is a Cedar Fair staple, after all, and assuming that the G is giant (which would seem to make sense at a regional destination park), I can't imagine it being another Giant Top Spin (Kings Island's is a disaster) or a Giant Jump2 (the one at Canada's Wonderland is a borderline disaster), and to my knowledge a Giant Delirium (not related to Kings Island's Delirium) has never been built, and it relies on a heavily themed experience that I don't think Carowinds would build to suit.

On Carowinds Connection, someone said there is a stake in front of Thunder Road that reads "GCI". The picture of the Huss stake showed "HUSS GF P(12 or lz) M7. I take this rumor with a grain of salt, I find it odd that Carowinds would have put out that clear of a hint if it is real.

2) Carowinds is a park that Cedar Fair values (for now, though that may change as quickly as the future of their Son, which seems even more in-flux than the future of our Son). It's been given a lot of attention under both Paramount's banner and Cedar Fair's, which to me seems strange. Perhaps the company wants to make it more of a destination. And why shouldn't they? It's about as "south" as the seasonal Cedar Fair parks go, and it's near some vacation spots and some comparatively safe metropolitan areas. The additions we've seen at that park seem to point to a passive plan to really beef it up and milk its potential.

I know this is a bit late it post this, but this reminds me of when I went to Hilton Head this summer. The way we went you pass right by it. Hilton Head is a popular destination, and many people will be able to see Carowinds as they pass by, and say, "I want to go there!"

Basically, what I'm saying is, I completley agree with you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...