Camden Park: Spider Collapses

Terpy, we have talked before. I live in Proctorville, OH(Just minutes from Camden Park)

I hope there were not any significant injuries. I remember when the "Hurricane" flat ride collapsed at Camden, years ago,

if I recall it was a hydraulic failure. Do you think this could be the same. It has been a while, so I don't recall just how the ride works.

Another thought would be something broke on one of the "Spider" arms, causing it to collapse.

I know it's too early to tell, just a thought.

• Like 1

Park open again. More...

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/briefs/x1528014732/Camden-Park-back-open-following-Saturday-night-Spider-accident

Note how this article is written. Few places would see anything quite like that, and no, the park is not a major newspaper advertiser these days.

As to metal fatigue, note this: (and thanks, Cameron):

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/132384/

Things like this doesn't not happen at KI, or CP. I don't understand what they mean in that statement!

“When you think about as many years as the park has been around, things like this don’t happen very often. They have a good safety record,” Caudill said. “You see it in the news that things like this happen at King’s Island and Cedar Point. When you are dealing with mechanical things, it’s always possible that they can break down.”

Things like this doesn't not happen at KI, or CP. I don't understand what they mean in that statement!

"When you think about as many years as the park has been around, things like this don't happen very often. They have a good safety record," Caudill said. "You see it in the news that things like this happen at King's Island and Cedar Point. When you are dealing with mechanical things, it's always possible that they can break down."

I don't either.

Maybe it's stating that a big and famous park like Cedar Point or Kings Island could have a ride accident happen just as likely as Camden Park? :huh:

I thought that was a pretty ridiculous statement as well, especially including Cedar Point, Kings Island maybe with incidents like SOB and Flight Commander, but what has ever happened at CP other than a car getting stuck or a mild bump with another car?(watch out for that wild mouse) I'd say this was pretty major compared to that. Quite honestly even though no one was in it and seriously got hurt, I'd say this is pretty major compared to Kings Islands notorious incidents - part of the ride collapsing, that is pretty scary, and I think saying these things happen is not a good pr statement, they should show more concern.

Terpy, you can possibly clear up something.

I'd read somewhere that the Monster/Spider rides have a part that is difficult to inspect due to the design of the cart, is that correct? The design of the cart, the rounded formed design, I think, is what allows a smaller person and a heavier person to spin, thus allowing the smaller person to get Ralph Revenge on the heavier person for whatever reason.

It doesn't look as if the rumored part wasn't to blame for this particular accident, because then the cart would have fallen off, not the sweep.

A. Broken part blamed:

http://www.wsaz.com/mobi/news?storyid=126069823

B. Park's insurance company had inspected ride in last week, state in May:

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/6406

I know that this is off topic. We have a weekly racing series Nascar track in Columbus Ohio. A few years ago, one of the stands fell down hurting some fans. The odd thing is that the stand that fell was inspected by the tracks insurance company the week before. The building and fire people said that the insurance company only did the normal inspection and not the more detailed inspection. The track wasn't cited for anything as far as i know.

Not necessarily. Metal fatigue is akin to bending a paperclip back and forth many times. Eventually, the material becomes fatigued and will snap. Rust (more properly oxidation), can also lead to metal fatigue. You can have rust without metal fatigue, just like you can have metal fatigue without rust.

A. Broken part blamed:

http://www.wsaz.com/mobi/news?storyid=126069823

B. Park's insurance company had inspected ride in last week, state in May:

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/6406

I know that this is off topic. We have a weekly racing series Nascar track in Columbus Ohio. A few years ago, one of the stands fell down hurting some fans. The odd thing is that the stand that fell was inspected by the tracks insurance company the week before. The building and fire people said that the insurance company only did the normal inspection and not the more detailed inspection. The track wasn't cited for anything as far as i know.

I was working here at the assignment desk that night, and I will never forget hearing the words "mass casualty incident" come across the scanners... certainly was a difficult one to cover, but miraculously none of the injuries were serious.

IIRC, it was the metal structure supporting a concrete observation deck below the press box that gave way, sending the concrete and a few people crashing down onto spectators below. Just a year or 2 after that incident, a modified school bus participating in a bus racing event hopped over a concrete wall and crashed into a group of spectators. Again, nobody was critically injured, miraculously.

• 6 years later...