Cedar Point hotel advice

Hey everyone, I tired search but couldn't find much advice on hotels at CP. Every time I have gone recently it has been a one day drive up and back. This year I am debating getting a hotel for the weekend, and I would love to stay at one of the on site resorts. Travel websites have mixed reviews so I would love some of your opinions! please and thank you!!

I personally like the Breakers, but we generally go in late spring/early fall when the rates are low(er). But if you can get together with a group of paying adults, you can get a big room and split the cost. I personally feel that it is absolutely worth the money to be within walking distance to the park. There are 2 resort entrances, one goes to Magnum and the other to Wicked Twister. The rooms themselves are nothing special and pretty much the bare minimum, though I haven't stayed in a suite yet. A lot of the rooms have no elevator access and the cheapest rooms have the longest walk to the lobby it seems. Lake view rooms generally have a beautiful view. There are 2 outdoor pools and 1 indoor pool, a small arcade, a TGI Friday's and Perkins restaurants (both hugely expensive, of course). There's a convenience store and other small shops in the lobby. The check-in staff are very good and I've never had any sort of problem with anything at the Breakers except maybe low water pressure.

We once stayed in one of the cottages at Lighthouse Point. It was a beautiful view of the lake out the front door and pretty much next to Mean Streak in the back, but not really within walking distance to the park, although they have a shuttle bus service. The cottages and cabins are actually small mobile homes.

It just depends on what you're looking for. If you want quick convenience to the park, then you want the Breakers. If you can get them I think the best rooms for the price are the 2nd floor rooms in the Rotunda and the East Wing 2 queen beds. The cheapest are in the Bon-Air section but those rooms aren't very nice. My favorites are the Sandcastle Suites and cottages on the lake at Lighthouse point, these are beautiful spots with a beautiful trail around the lake. They are a bit pricey and not that convenient to the park, but you can call for a shuttle.

I wouldn't stay at Howard Johnson at the CP entrance. White socks turn black in their rooms.

Funny you should mention that. It was the next thing we were considering if we did not stay at the Breakers! Will not be an option now.

Thank you all for your advice! The Hotel Breakers will most likely be where we stay, to take advantage of the ERT and close proximity. I really wanted to know if the Bon-Air section was as bad as some other sites stated and I am sure now that if we choose this path we will spring for a newer room. I know that I probably wont be spending much time in the hotel except to sleep, but I would like to do it at least semi-comfortably.

Thank you again :)

All the times I've stayed on resort I've stayed a Hotel Breakers in the Bon-Air section. If you are only going to use it for sleeping then it's great. If you will be in the room a lot I would go to another area in the hotel. My family just are in the room for the night and then we head to the park. The one down-side is that there is no elevator access, but I think that's with most of the hotel.

Hope that helps!

-MagmMForce247 :)

The Breakers is nice for its closeness and also if you get a lake view room. I also have a thing for older hotels or resorts like the Breakers, the history aspect is pretty cool. Also The Breakers during Halloweekends is nice as well. The SandCastle Suites has probably the nicest rooms at the point and the walk is not that bad to the park. Also the beach access is nice.

It seems like you want to be close for the convenience, but if you are looking for a little cheaper route and don't mind a 15 minute drive to the park, staying in South Sandusky and Milan can save you some money. It is where I usually stay for my trips to Sandusky.

Unless it is a busy day at the park and then the Causeway can be a nightmare to traverse as folks try to enter the park.

If coming from the East, use the "back way" to CP.

That road has some really nice beachfront houses & great shots of Lake Erie & has it's own parking tolls.

Don't be scared off by the Bon Air section of Breakers. It is not the nicest section by far, but it provides what a park enthusiast needs- bed, shower & a/c.

I stayed in the Bon Air section of Breakers for four nights in June. It's not too bad; I just wish it had an elevator (my room was on the third floor). Like others have said, if you're primarily going to be using your room just to sleep, shower, etc., it'll be sufficient for your needs.

I have four nights booked at the River's Edge Inn in Huron in mid-August. $50/night (I believe $70 on weekends). The place gets excellent reviews on Trip Advisor considering the price, and it appears to be 10-15 minutes to the park. When you will only be using the room to sleep and shower as we will, it violates common sense to pay $200 per night, as long as the room is clean. I'd rather spend the extra money on good meals and souvenirs and attractions. I'll post a review when the time comes.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip Phantom Theater. We haven't done the Pied Piper yet, may still. I wanted to post a review while I thought of it.

I booked four nights (on the third now) through Orbitz for about $225 including all taxes and fees. The thought was to sacrifice a short drive for cheaper accomodations, considering we are doing things all day (Put-in-Bay, Cedar Point, beach, boating) and will only be in the room for sleep and showers. I could have located on Milan Rd in the same price range, but I suspect I would have had much lower quality.

Pros: Good lobby, friendly desk staff

Room meets better than minimal standards for cleanliness. No obvious signs of wear on walls, carpets, etc. including in public areas.

Good A/C.

Complimentary wifi

Convenient parking lot

Extremely fast to Cedar Point

Complimentary continental breakfast

Neutral: indoor pool, haven't used.

Cons: pathetic pillows (bring your own, we did thankfully).

pathetic bath towels

pathetic continental breakfast

virtually no service for tmobile phones (not the hotel's fault of course)

poor selection of restaurants nearby and nothing like you'd find on Milan Rd. (again not the hotel's fault)

Bottom line: it's better than most budget-priced lodging. It's not quite to the standards of a Fairfield Inn (my most commonly used chain), but it's close. I'd call it slightly better than a 2-star, not quite a 2.5 star. I'll stay here again and I would recommend it. It's equal to what I would have paid $70+ for on Milan Rd. The amazing thing is, I think our trip time is comparable to theirs. Taking Rt 2 to Rye Beach Rd to Cleveland Rd. to (the back way into the parking lot that I won't disclose here) is comparable in time to the drive from US250/Rt 2 up to the causeway, and maybe better depending on traffic conditions. (Note that Cleveland Rd. is closed between Huron and Rye Beach Rd. so you have to get on Rt 2 then get back off at the next exit.)

• 7 months later...

FYI- according to what I have heard, HB Bon Aire section has been renovated (i.e. new walls, fixtures etc.)

I would assume this also means a price increase.

You are correct on both counts. CP's online reservation system lists, "New for 2012, Room features include updated fixtures and decor in the room and bathroom." in some of the Bon Air room descriptions. Also, prices of those rooms have indeed gone up; last year, a single occupancy two double bed room without lakeview for midweek in mid-June was $129/night before tax and Platinum Pass discount. That same room is now $159/night. A one queen bed room, which they didn't even have last year, is $135/night, still more than the two double bed room. The one king bed room has gone up from about $199/night to $213/night.