KICentral Members Ride Together to Raise Money for “Give Kids the World”

The thrill of a roller coaster rides had a whole lot more meaning Sunday, July 24, when Kings Island hosted "Coasting for Kids 2011" to raise money for Give Kids the World (GKTW), a Central Florida non-profit resort that provides cost-free, weeklong vacations to children with life-threatening illnesses and their families.

KICentral formed a team of nine members to raise money and to participate in such a worthwhile cause. The KICentral Team raised $640.31 and was the top fund raising team out of thirteen registered teams at the Kings Island host location.

The fun-filled event was the second year at Kings Island and a company-wide effort at all eleven Cedar Fair Entertainment Company amusement parks. Kings Island fans and roller coaster enthusiasts alike enjoyed a day filled with riding The Racer over and over again with many riding over 100 laps from 8:00am until 7:00pm. All participants raised at least $75 for Give Kids the World to take part.

KICentral would like to thank all the members who participated in this year's Coasting for Kids event as well as the many KICentral members who donated money to Give Kids the World. KICentral would also like to thank Kings Island for being such a great host for this year's event to include an incredible fun hard working coaster crew from The Racer.

http://www.firstgiving.com/gktw/KI

I just got back from my trip last night. (I am still recovering from everything that I/we did.) I did not take that many photos at the event since I was usually sitting on The Racer...but I will post what I did take real soon in a trip report.

In the meantime let me just say thanks to everyone at the park for such an amazing day! The park and The Racer crew went WAY out of their way to make this event one of the most memorable days that I have spent at Kings Island...and that in itself says a lot!

Thank you everyone! :)

A couple of stories from Cincinnati TV stations:

FOX 19: "Coaster marathon raises more than $7,500" — this one features a brief interview with our own Avatar:

http://www.fox19.com/story/15137574/coaster-marathon-raises-more-than-7500

On the other hand, WCPO totally screwed it up, misinterpreting one person's fundraising total as the entire event's total:

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_north_cincinnati/mason/coasting-for-a-good-cause

Don Helbig said that WLWT and WKRC came out as well, but I couldn't find the story on either of their websites.

Just wanted to add it was nice meeting all of you. Even after over 100 rides on The Racer I believe I am more motivated to raise more money for this great cause. I was told I was on Channel 5 but as jcgobie3 I really can't find anything. I know I saw 4 camera crews there. Also I would of thought one of them would of got a better picture then they did of us.

I must say that I have attended many coaster events from array or amusement/theme parks and have enjoyed every one of them that I have attended thus far. Each coaster event has its great moments and enjoyment factors but I was bit nervous about spending so much time on one coaster at this event. Well I am pleased to announce that out of all the events I have attended the 2011 Kings Island Coasting for Kids ranks right there at the top for the FUN factor in my book...Really.

0_0_37d45ad357b203d11ad5b17da1bd14ad_1.jpg

We had a great lunch at the International Street Restaurant

0_0_82df117c9e772f2ee1601c9fdf52717b_1.jpg

Every participant walked away with a shirt, lapel pin, a thank-you picture and some won one of the many raffle prizes, all those items where just a drop in the bucket compared to the fum memories we all shared while singing, cheering and exciting the Blue Racer riders as we ascended up the lift hill.

0_0_5a49827f658dce12861aeaac8a3f1975_1.jpg

The whole Racer Crew went above and beyond to make us feel special for donating our time to raise money for such worthy cause. They helped participants keep track of their ride counts as they progressed and asked trivia questions through-out the day.

0_0_afa31dd69089d74e6ec2e053aaa30534_1.jpg

As the day got hot, long and the participants got tired the song list got more creative (put your whole body in ... put your whole body out... and shake it all about) and The Racer Crew brought us water and attended to many of our requests.

0_0_4add906f9b357613cd99e1faad93c9a3_1.jpg

I as one of my ride buddies (standbyme) of that day said "riding racer all day or any coaster for that matter is a very unique but rare opportunity", I must agree with him, not in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that ridding in just one coaster over and over on the same day could be so much fun. Honestly I am not so sure that it would have been that fun if it was not for the great mix of people coming together in their role to raise money for such a great cause of Give Kids the World.. A big Thank You to everyone who took the time in what ever capacity you did to make this event so successful and memorable.

• 1 month later...

^ Everybody who raises (or pays) the required minimum (this year it was $75, including the $40 registration fee) can ride. There is a limit on how many people can register in the first place to make sure that they don't have too many, but we didn't come close to the limit this year.

I think everyone there really enjoyed the day. I am sitting with Avatar is the last picture in his post above. I do plan on participating again next year and would be cool if we have a much more KIC'ers participating.

Here is my PTR with a video I took. http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24256&hl=&fromsearch=1