Gay couple asked to reverse shirt at Dollywood

I just don't see how they demand things both ways. In one instance we have tv commercials, legislation, etc saying don't say gay. Then you wear a shirt that says marriage is so gay. I understand the meaning of the shirt and personally I agree with gay marriage but the shirt is a political statement that has no part in a "family" day at a park. I would think the same of other political shirts. So I do think DW should make a policy change and say that any political shirts may be subject to dress code.

The orientation of the wearer of said shirt does not matter, yet the content of the said shirt does.

I agree. Why is it unreasonable to dress yourself in a respectable manor when out in public, especially at a family place. I am all for expressing yourself, but in the correct setting. It appears that some people wear clothes that scream "Look at me" but get upset when someone notices.

Given Dollywood's clientele.... the couple failed to realize that the park probably had their best interest in mind... their safety.

A same sex couple is no different than anyone else... they elicit a positive reaction by living and acting in a loving, caring way. They do not earn respect by wearing a T-shirt made to provoke a reaction. It's the old "you catch more flies with honey" addage.

Shaggy

I'll say this of the cause:

The longer same-sex marriage is treated differently (primarily by those who rally for it), the longer it will be perceived as different. Calling it "gay marriage" only builds on the perception that it is different from "marriage." Why not call it marriage equality? Again with things like Pride festivals - community is a tremendous thing, and it is fantastic that you can fit in when you might otherwise feel different. But the way to help society see homosexual people as no different from heterosexual people is not to wear leather booty shorts on the streets and dance to Lady Gaga and wave rainbow banners while drag queens sing Katy Perry songs. I can see how that incites disgust in a lot of people who are "on the fence" about same-sex issues and marriage equality, and cements the opinions of those who are against it.

Instead, why can't the message be: "Yes, I'm gay. But I'm not a fan of Lady Gaga. I don't care about fashion or celebrity gossip. I dress like you, I go to a daily job like you, I speak like you, I eat like you... We're the same, and I request the same legal rights."

Announcing our differences is not the way to get people to see our similarities, and I think that's where many same-sex couples are confused. The fact of the matter is, most Americans have a very clear stance on issues like marriage equality that will not change much in their lifetime. As tends to happen, the generation that is most concretely against it is passing away, and new generations increasingly know a friend or relative who is gay. If John's Uncle Frank is gay, then John is probably more likely to recognize that his uncle deserves the same legal rights, even without religious acknowledgement. Age of Aquarius anyone?

I think Keith Olbermann said it best after the legalization of same-sex marriage in New York:

Within a decade or less, it will be universal in this nation, period... Ironically, this is not because there is great advocacy for it, but because of an inability of younger people in this country to do what older ones still can: To pretend that this matters anymore. It just doesn’t. It won’t destroy the democracy. It doesn’t destroy the family. It strengthens the institution of marriage… and it increases the number of people living in stable and loving homes.

And yes, I agree that it'll happen. Probably in my lifetime. And for gay people and straight people alike, it will truly be a momentous day. There were times when inter-religion marriages were not even a choice. Likewise, inter-racial couples had absolutely no prayer for acceptance fifty years ago. And I believe that one day, people will look back on the rejection of same-sex couples with just as much confusion as we look at the rejection of inter-religion couples. Even the most religious among us would say that our bodies are temporary housing for our soul... So isn't it the soul or spirit we connect with? And why should the physical housing of that spirit matter? But these things have a way of changing!

GYK, who is not a fan of Lady Gaga, doesn't care about fashion or celebrity gossip, dresses pretty standardly, goes to a daily job like you, speaks like you, eats like you, and (on a more politically charged board) would request the same legal rights.

^

Well Said. As with any group or minority the outspoke outlandish minority receives the most coverage and publicity. Unfortunately the "normal" majority is not exciting or controversial enough to sell news or make headlines...

Props to her for wearing that shirt.

I think what she did was brave and courageous, it's like the time Rosa Parks sat in the front of the bus instead of the back.

The shirt is only deemed offensive when the words are considered offensive, and gay should not be considered offensive. I to wear selective jewelry/clothing when out in public.

I mean we're being denied marriage so why can't we wear shirts that promote gay marriage. Let's turn the tables and denies some of your rights and see if you sit home quietly and do nothing.

I'm glad there are so many LGBT standing up and making it loud and clear we're here and we want our rights. Kudos!

Remember Silence Equals Death.

Props to her for wearing that shirt.

I think what she did was brave and courageous, it's like the time Rosa Parks sat in the front of the bus instead of the back.

In respect to your opinion, I see it as a publicity stunt.

If you want to support gay marriage, more power to you. Hold a rally, or contact your local government official to voice your opinion.

And no, this is nothing like Rosa Parks and how African-Americans were treated at that time in our history. Comments like that really show on how some Americans don't understand what was happening back then.

Even though I find the shirt amusingly worded...and I am pro-gay marriage I still don't think the shirt belongs in amusement park. I am a big fan of the group Bad Religion and have several of their shirts...and even the ones that simply say Bad Religion on them I do not feel right wearing to Kings Island.

I agree with how the park handled it. However, I think that the lady in the park whom was wearing the shirt was in the wrong. That shirt could be seen as offensive so she was asked to just turn it around. No problem in that, really, it's like wearing a shirt that says "F-Religion and Jesus and God, and F those that follow it", that shirt would be offensive to alot of people (me included). I don't think they were singled out, nor repremanded or even asked to leave the park, just to turn the shirt around...

I do like lady gaga, I love some good gossip about peoople and celebs, I speak like you, and I wear the same clothes, I listen to (some what) the same music, I go to a job like everyone else, and I be wanting those equal rights!

I am going to put up a link to another discussion thread called DIS which is the largest Disney forum fan sire out there. The owner of the site Pete Warner is gay and discusses his views on Gay Days in Orlando with his podcast staff. I highly recommend most adult members that are willing to listen to the whole podcast but about 15 minutes in to it is where it gets to the heart of the matter. I respect Pete Warner on his choice and his views on the matter which I believe is were the vast majority of the United States adult population is on their views too. I feel with Pete I could have a honest open discussion without fear of being labeled.

http://www.wdwinfo.c...ey-gay-days.htm

Terp, who was once denied entry to SFGAm while wearing a Paramount's Great America t-shirt.

Really?

What reason did they give you to ask for such a request?

I politely asked why and was told that my shirt was not acceptable and that I full well knew why. This was about 10 years ago. I wanted in the park and did not feel like arguing, nor that it would have done any good. I went to the car, put on a Dorney Park shirt, and was allowed entry without issue.

Nowadays, I am far more likely to wear a three piece suit to a park than to wear coaster/park attire. Even that frequently causes security guards to raise eyebrows, especially at Maple Grove.

^ That is one heck of a strong statement.

Thanks for sharing!

Nah...not really, just trying to add to a difficult discussion. Unless you are reading into something I was not saying and then make a assumption, otherwise I think my post contributed to the thread discussion well.

CedarPointer, I could just hug you for saying that!

It is so true!

We don't go around handing out pamphlets saying "Convert to our belief and blah, blah, BS."

My biggest annoyance at a park is seeing a couple heavily making out in line. It is a park for families, not a park for making families! You do not have to be 2 seconds from ripping each others clothes off while you are waiting in line. It is worse with the teens it seems.

There are far worse things that can be offensive than a shirt that reads "marriage is gay"

Hope I don't offen...... ah screw it..... someone will be offended by what I just said. Oh well. **sighs**:wacko:

I believe he was talking about Mr. Warner's statement.

Yes I was.

It is encouraging that even though his is gay, he knows where to draw the line. I wish more people like him (and I don't mean gay) had an open mind like that where their beliefs do not cloud judgement.

Something tells me that a Christian shirt wouldn't get the same reaction from Dollywood.

Double standard? Some people might just find that far more offensive than what they were turned away for wearing.

It really depends what the shirt says.

If it was something like: "Jesus Christ 4 Life" it probably would not be an issue.

It is was something along the line of: "I'm Christian & Pro Life; abortion is MURDER" I can see causing an issue and should be dealt with accordingly.

I believe he was talking about Mr. Warner's statement.

Yes I was.

It is encouraging that even though his is gay, he knows where to draw the line. I wish more people like him (and I don't mean gay) had an open mind like that where their beliefs do not cloud judgement.

Sorry Browntggrr for my assumption. I totally agree with your statement that some on both sides of the issue as well as other issues let their beliefs cloud their judgment.

Terp, who was once denied entry to SFGAm while wearing a Paramount's Great America t-shirt.

Really?

What reason did they give you to ask for such a request?

I politely asked why and was told that my shirt was not acceptable and that I full well knew why. This was about 10 years ago. I wanted in the park and did not feel like arguing, nor that it would have done any good. I went to the car, put on a Dorney Park shirt, and was allowed entry without issue.

Nowadays, I am far more likely to wear a three piece suit to a park than to wear coaster/park attire. Even that frequently causes security guards to raise eyebrows, especially at Maple Grove.

I was once asked to change/reverse a shirt that had Beethoven's autograph on it. I could see the attendant's confusion, it just took me a second to realize what she thought the shirt said.

I despise that this story is circulating on the national news now as I personally applaud Dollywoods employee for making the decision providing the employee wasn't being homophobic. I applaud them while I am myself gay. When people learn of my orientation I generally tell them that while yes I'm gay that is the smallest part of who I am and I'm Brad before I am anything else. The shirt and the couples reaction is completely opposite of what they claim they were trying to do, which was to provide an enjoyable family outing. No this is nothing like Rosa Parks, the Stonewall riots is probably one of the LGBT's biggest shifts in momentum for equality. While fighting for our rights we should not act as though our rights are supreme to others, how is that equality? The park is privately owned by a very spiritual organization they should have the right to uphold a dress code as they see fit. Heck there's plenty of gay clubs that wouldn't allow them in wearing that shirt.