Advice for first time at KI with 5yr old.

DennisK

I've been to KI hundereds of times growing up as a kid, but now instead of me being the kid... It's me and my 5 year old son going :o

I would greatly appreciate any advice on what is fun at KI for that age group.

I plan on going the week of Aug15th.

Are Monday's general a good uncrowded day? Maybe do snoopyland in the morning, then Dinosaurs Alive, and the waterpark in the afternoon?

Thanks,

Dennis

Hm, well obviously everything in Planet Snoopy should be great for him, it all depends on his height. At 5 he could even be riding Beast, Racer, and the big kid rides. Long story short, Kings Island has many things to do for a 5 year old - actually, probably more than a grown up or teen!

Since you're going the week of August 15 on a Monday, then you will probably be able to walk on everything (from experience), same with the waterpark.

Hope you have fun!

Wear comfortable shoes! Planet Snoopy doesn't seem that big, but a day in the park with a kid can wear you out. It's easy to go from ride to ride there, due to the placement.

There's nothing as fun as being on the ride with them, if the attendant allows, squeeze in. You'll always remember that expression on his face.

Remember that if you ask for water, you will get a free glass.

I might suggest carrying a few packs of wet wipes, in case you get the blueberry ice cream. It has a tendency to travel allover your child.

That is the last week before Mason returns to school on 8/22.

Assuming your 5 year old isn't a 48" tall thrill seeker, I'd recommend spending some quality time in Planet Snoopy, but also explore other aspects of the park like the shows and rides like Viking Fury, Monster, Scrambler. Also, take a trip on the Train and go to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

Some specific thoughts:

- Line for the Helicopters is VERY slow. If you are there early, hit it up first.

- Dont get stuck in the front of Planet Snoopy, keep moving to try it all out

- If you are staying most of the day, plan a break in the day (Air Conditioned show, long lunch, etc...)

- Enjoy Snoopy's Starlight and the Fireworks (it's a late night, but the memories are worth it)

Hope you have a great day!

Thank you for the good advice, i really do appreciate it!

I'm really looking forward to it! (but I'm sure I'll be freaking out just a little inside to ride some of the adult rides, i'm still a Diamondback virgin dry.gif )

-Dennis

First things first, when you get to the park have your kid measured and get a rest band. In the evenings, this is often done in the customer service station right as you walk thru the ticket tacker booth. In the mornings, and thru the day they have this set up right by the keyhold picture booth (there is a large sign w/ height restrictions there, to the left of the fountains before you'd get to the skyline chili). This will save you a lot of time potentially having your kid have to hop off a ride to get measured than jump back on the ride (ie they don't measure you before you hop on The Racer). I'd also advise you to check your kids height prior to going, with the shoes he'll wear that day so you can get a rough idea of where he'll fall. The last thing you want to do is build up a ride, only to find they won't let him get on it.

We take our 3 year old on a regular basis. A lot depends on your kid. Mine is pretty tall for his age (truned 3 recently and cleared the 42" height restrictions last week). Basically if he's tall enough to ride it, he loves it. Back seat on the Viking ship, beastie (Woodstock express?), scrambler, monster (and now Shake, Rattle & Roll) are ridden each trip to the park. If its his first time, I'd suggest starting small, if you like coasters, they have the great pumpkin coaster in kids park which is two quick trips around a small track. It will get him used to the feel of roller coasters and shouldn't scare him too much. If that's too much then you know to stick in kiddi land all day (or perhaps the water park). If you look at this and know you're kid can handle it (at 5 he should be, but if he's never been on a coaster before its a pretty good starting point), there is The Beastie and kids bumper cars to get him gooing. Boo Blasters is in that area, and a good spot for a hot summer day. There is another coaster in kiddie land that I haven't been on, I think the height requirement is 44" or 46" You're feet hang below as you ride below the track, so I'd imagine that's not the best one to ride right away. At 5, I'd think your son would be tall enough to ride everything in kiddi land, but as I said, my son's pretty tall so check before you go and talk it up.

In the general area, in addition to the rides mentioned above, if he's 48" he can ride The Racers, Adventure Express, The Beast, etc.. Check the web site, you have to be taller than 48" for some rides like Delerium, The Diamondback, etc... If he's tall enough, and you think he can handle it, I'd start at Adventure Express. There's not much of a hill as it uses the terrain in the back of the park to get much of its speed. It moves pretty quickly and will move him around in the seat a bit, plus I doubt there will be a line to deal with. If he enjoys that, The Racers, which usually has a pretty quick line as well, are right next door and will help him get used to going up a decent size hill and getting some air time on a ride. After that, The Beast then The Vortex would be negotiable. I'd imagine some 5 year olds would jump right into them full bore, while others would say no way.

Overall, take your time, definently bring a stroller to help them get thru the park. They'll wear down quicker than you. Remember a cup of water is free at all concessions, so pick up a handful every so often if its hot outside to help keep his energy up. If you get there early, save some time before you leave to ride two or three of his favorite rides again. If he's ok with the height, I'd take him up to the top of the Eiffel Tower at some point to get him a feel for the park. You get a pretty good view up there. We take in a diaper bag each time. I don't know the restrictions, but its never been opened (kind of surprises me) so we generally pack some snacks, wipes, etc for our little guy. I'd suggest doing the same to keep him going between meals. You can park a stroller somewhere close to pretty much any ride. I wouldn't suggest leaving your wallet in it, but I wouldn't worry about anything being taken out of it, if that makes sense.

Wear comfortable shoes! Planet Snoopy doesn't seem that big, but a day in the park with a kid can wear you out. It's easy to go from ride to ride there, due to the placement.

There's nothing as fun as being on the ride with them, if the attendant allows, squeeze in. You'll always remember that expression on his face.

I'm not the smallest guy in the world, but fit comfortably on the great pumpkin coaster, and The Beastie. There are some people quite large who ride The Beastie w/ their kid, so if you get on that, definently squeeze in. There's more room than it looks on that thing, helps to get a back of the seat car where there is a little bit more leg room under the seat in front of you.

Thank you for the good advice, i really do appreciate it!

I'm really looking forward to it! (but I'm sure I'll be freaking out just a little inside to ride some of the adult rides, i'm still a Diamondback virgin dry.gif )

-Dennis

First things first, when you get to the park have your kid measured and get a rest band. In the evenings, this is often done in the customer service station right as you walk thru the ticket tacker booth. In the mornings, and thru the day they have this set up right by the keyhold picture booth (there is a large sign w/ height restrictions there, to the left of the fountains before you'd get to the skyline chili). This will save you a lot of time potentially having your kid have to hop off a ride to get measured than jump back on the ride (ie they don't measure you before you hop on The Racer). I'd also advise you to check your kids height prior to going, with the shoes he'll wear that day so you can get a rough idea of where he'll fall. The last thing you want to do is build up a ride, only to find they won't let him get on it.

Do they have a Peanuts character by the measuring crew?At least for the first hour? If not, t would a good touch, because it would lure parents with kids towards it, more people might utilize it, and save time in the line in the long run.

We ended up going on Monday and had a really great time! I teared up at least 4 times during the day :wub:

Some of the highlites of what my 5yr old boy (46") liked the best :

Great pumpkin coaster (First Roller Coaster)

Woodstock Whirlybirds

Show in Snoopyland

Eiffel Tower

Dinosaurs Alive

Icee stand (Oh so good....)

Miami Valley Railroad

Crocodile Run

Great Barrier Reef

Jackaroo Landing

Kangaroo Lagoon

Wallaby Wharf

Pipeline Paradise (I still can't believe he did this... he stayed in there for about 2min. I went first and it spit me back out in about 15sec)

Blue Ice Cream (I could sure go for one of those right now...)

Best Advice I got from this thread:

• getting wrist band at the start of the day
  • renting a stroller (what a HUGE difference that made!) We were able to stay from opening until closing because of the stroller. without it we would of went home about 2pm
  • wet wipes
  • snacks (yes i smuggled in a couple granola bars, fruit rollups, beef jerky, and M&Ms)
  • Free water, we drank a lot of water (this definately enabled us to go go go all day long)

We didn't get a locker, I just chanced it and got lucky.

We went on Monday and it was not only a gorgeous day, there were very very short lines all day long.

-Dennis

***can't wait until my boy breaks the 48" barrier! That wind seeker scary/fun! and I was dying to try out the Diamondback!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is making me want to grab my son and take him over for another day at KI, even though school has started for us here in Indy. The last time he was at KI he was at the 46" mark and mad cause he could not ride DB. True Ride Warrior! I am hoping for a 2" growth spurt before the 2012 season. Then Mommy is never going to see the boys on free days! :lol:

^ x2. My son watched in wonder as I rode DB a few times during early entry. He's 47". It breaks my heart to tell him it will be a few years before he can ride DB.

Beast next year, though, is a sure thing. Same for MIllenium Force at CP. Watching my son ride the rides has added a whole new excitement that I never expected. Because for just me, rollercoasters were starting to bore a little.