I pass by Lesourdsville Lake everyday for work and noticed two days ago that the lift-hill of the Screechin Eagle was missing. Today when passing by it appears that the entire coaster has now been demolished. Although I've known that the coaster would never run again, it is still very hard to see it completely gone :(

~Josh

• Like 1

This is sad indeed, almost heartbreaking for me. I absolutely love that ride, and it's a shame it could not be saved. It was a giant part of my childhood and the first 'big' coaster I rode as a kid, which started my passion for coasters. I last rode it during Screechfest a few years back and it was running awesome...the airtime around the back turnaround drop was insane! At least I have over 300 rides to remember it by. It will be missed greatly.

• Like 1

My last ride on it left me as pale as a ghost. I loved it, it was my first coaster, but that ride was truly horrifying. I'd won tickets from the original "Batman" with Michael Keaton, and went, that's how long ago it was. It was ramshackle then, so I suspect it wasn't doing that much better 22 years later.

• Like 1

I admit I only rode it one time. I worked for the park 2 separate seasons (the last and with the carnival owners who Jerry leased the park to). I love wooden coasters, never judging the size, height, etc. just the overall ride experience, and I thought this was a really fun coaster! The banked turnaround was my favorite part. I only wish that when they tear down historic rides such as this they would allow enthusiast to have a small piece of wood from the structure to remember it by :(

• Like 1

I am totally devastated by this news. This coaster was in my top 10. I didn't know this was even suppose to happen. I had heard a couple of years ago, that John Robinson was talking about saving the coaster. His company did a lot of the marketing for the park years ago. Also, according to a recent History channel documentary on Lesourdsville Lake, it the coaster would remain and just simply fall down through time. Sad day for coaster fans.

• Like 1

I don't know what they call those that barge into abandoned places- urban explorers? It might be best to take such an attraction down before a trespasser puts their foot through a board on the track and plummets into that swampy puddle underneath it.

• Like 1

I don't know what they call those that barge into abandoned places- urban explorers? It might be best to take such an attraction down before a trespasser puts their foot through a board on the track and plummets into that swampy puddle underneath it.

Tanna, i take it that you don't know much about the former park then? Or the ride?

It was pretty structurally sound: http://queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com/2007/10/lesourdsville-lakeamericana-revisited_29.html and http://queencitydisc...-americana.html

http://www.mcflash.4000loavesanhour.com/rolly/am2/am_part2_0005.jpg

• Like 1

Gordon, don't mean to hijack this thread, but when I clicked on your response, I got a malware message. I clicked on other ones and all good. I am now running firefox to respond to your comment.

I am extremely sad about this. I don't think I ever got to ride it, and now I never will.

Edit: As a side note, I also clicked on your links and it was blank. Went to QCD and all was well.

• Like 1

Tanna, i take it that you don't know much about the former park then? Or the ride?

Actually, yah, I knew just a few little minutia.

I went to the park first when I was four,(1968) and still went after KI was opened. I knew the rollercoaster, Cyclone, came from another park, and I rode it many times, in fact, I rode it more than I did any other ride in the park. We would go at least four times a year, due to scheduled picnics, and invitations from people from the park.

I'd read in an article that parts of it are going to a museum in Texas. I know the guy that designed the coaster was a great builder of coasters, the coaster equivalent of Bill Tracy and Dark Rides.

I used to go to the park when Kooky Kastle was a walkthrough. My family has the Laughing Lady 78 that was used in the Kooky Kastle. I was allowed to walk through the haunted house with the lights up. The fellow that ran the basketball game was a neighbor down the street, so I got to see the workings of many attractions.

I went through Tom Sawyer's caverns at Fantasy Farm when it had water under the bridge. We used to get glass mugs from Tombstone Territory.

In Tombstone Territory, they used to have a shoot out with actors.

The woman that lost her arm when the train overturned is a family friend.

They used to have gumball machines with food for the swans on the dock of the steamboat.

The Serpent was once the Bavarian Beetle at King's Island, it is now located at Kokomos in MI.

My sister was almost struck by lightening at the park in 1968. A stranger grabbed her out of the way just before the strike.

I recall the Stardust dance hall.

I last rode the Cyclone (Screeching Eagle) in 1982. It may look sound to some, but it didn't feel that sound when I rode it, but I could have been influenced by the various 2x4's nailed along the railings to replace railings that had falling off. Decay happens.

I never realized to post to this forum I'd have to take an essay exam.

I only know just a few snips of trivia.

• Like 1

The Serpent was once the Bavarian Beetle at King's Island, it is now located at Kokomos in MI.

Serpent and Bavarian Beetle are not the same coaster.

Serpent came from Nobles Funland in Paducah KY, Bavarian Beetle was scrapped after the '79 season.

Serpent: http://www.rcdb.com/323.htm

Bavarian Beetle: http://www.rcdb.com/626.htm

EDIT: Terpy beats me again! :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction. I always wondered what happened to the Leiderhosen Beetle with the mug of beer on the Beetle.

I'm glad another park can use The Serpent.

I actually thought it was the Beetle. I loved that ride. It had the same doodlebug action.

Just before the park sold the RV guy, they used to try to revive the park a bit with band concerts. My uncle is a trumpeter for a big band, and for some dense reason, they were allowing people in the park for free. I was with my cousin, and had the gall to go up to the operator of the Serpent and ask if we could sneak a ride, even though we were there at the free concert.

We did. My cousin had never rode a beetle, and since then, he's been wanting one for KI.

Also noted: I said I rode the coaster in '82- it was actually '89. I had won tickets to the park from the local premiere of Burton's Batman, I was able to correctly answer the film that was the inspiration for The Joker.

• Like 1

Gordon, don't mean to hijack this thread, but when I clicked on your response, I got a malware message. I clicked on other ones and all good. I am now running firefox to respond to your comment.

I am extremely sad about this. I don't think I ever got to ride it, and now I never will.

Edit: As a side note, I also clicked on your links and it was blank. Went to QCD and all was well.

Chrome warned me about accessing this thread. I decided to ignore it, and I guess it was just a precaution. Now I know not to click any links here for now!

• Like 1