New Platinum Pass Prices ?

DaveStroem

I was looking at the Worlds of Fun website earlier and noticed that they are advertising a Season Pass sale for September 2-5.

They are advertising the sale price for Platinum Passes at $149 with the regular price of $179. This is up $14 from the 2011 price of $165 or nearly 10%.

I have no idea how WOF's regular passes correspond to KI's regular passes so I won't comment on those. In the past though Platinum Passes have been the same company wide.

http://www.worldsoff...=story&chip=389

So will Kings Island or Cedar Point put their passes on for sale this year? Time will tell.

Ouch! If this sticks, I think I've had my last year as a Platinum passholder. My interest in Cedar Point (which was my primary reasoning in going Platinum back in '08) has been waning as I experience other parks, and I haven't had and won't have a good opportunity to visit any other CF parks besides KI for quite some time. I hope they do the "buy a regular season pass, get a free gold upgrade" deal this fall... I really loathe paying for parking. :lol:

That sounds a little whinier than I mean to sound. I'm not complaining as much as I'm just saying that I think this will do me in.

Then buy them at the sale price. 150 for access to each park plus parking unreasonable?

I have long been in the camp that feels the PP is way underpriced. Not that I am complaining, but it's well worth around 200 dollars. It all boils down to how often you go. Cedar Point is our "home" park, and in a good year it is not unreasonable that we go 10+ times a year; not to mention a road trip to Kings Dominion or Kings Island or Dorney.

Considering that 4-5 visits to KI would still pay for it, let alone if you are getting a Platinum pass you are most likely going to go to CP or another CF park, which a 3 day weekend at CP without a pass could run you around120 bucks, I don't see 179 as being over priced. Plus, there will be sales, and probably a discount if you renew.

Edit: On another note, it could also be a marketing gimmick. 179 marked down to 149 looks a lot better than 165 marked down to 149.

The only problem I have with Platinum passes, is no matter what, you are going to have to pay for your hotel room, and if I went to CP I would stay for at least two nights, and that alone would cost me up to $300 - then add lunches, dinners, breakfasts - that's probably up to $400 now, get a souvenir, maybe a couple of snacks, $450...even getting gas for the car would cost $60! No matter what you do, everything will cost money.

The only problem I have with Platinum passes, is no matter what, you are going to have to pay for your hotel room, and if I went to CP I would stay for at least two nights, and that alone would cost me up to $300 - then add lunches, dinners, breakfasts - that's probably up to $400 now, get a souvenir, maybe a couple of snacks, $450...even getting gas for the car would cost $60! No matter what you do, everything will cost money.

Sleep in your car, and take showers at CP. You'll save $300 :lol:

I don't see what hotels have to do with anything. Of course doing stuff costs money. Again, this all boils down to everyone's average trips. We stay in hotels close to CP just for convenience sometimes, but we could easily drive back and forth the same day as we live about 2 hours away. I'm still not sure what hotel costs have to do with the price of a Platinum Pass.

$179 seems a bit steep for a Platinum pass. But I also got mine on sale last year for $125!

Steep...Really?

I think anything under $200 is a steal. Considering you have unlimited access to all CF parks and free parking. You only need to visit a total of 4 times (@ regular admission) to receive the full monetary value of the platinum pass.

I regret posting about the hotel thing, seeing now that it would still be cheaper to have Platinum passes instead of planning a trip alone to Cedar Point without them.

$179 is a lot though for me because I have a family of four (me being the kid, so I have no choice in getting the passes), and that would cost almost $700. My family doesn't even like amusement parks!

So, I am not complaining about the price overall, I am complaining about it for me.

Three trips to Cedar Point (On-line discount $49.99 x 3) + three days of parking ($12 x 3) = (149.97) + ($36) = $185.97

I know for certain I have visited Cedar Point three days this year, Kings Island six, Geauga Lake one, and I will be spending two days this week at Kings Dominion. I would say that my pass has more than paid for itself, and since I am one of the Platinum Pass holders who does not buy food, drink, or gifts inside the parks, Cedar Fair is paying me to visit their establishments.

Just counting my eleven days at the theme parks ($12.00) and one day at the water park ($7.00), I would have paid $139 in parking fees alone. If you plan to actually use a Platinum Pass, you will get your money's worth and more. $165.00 is a steal for travelers, and $179 would be a steal, too.

While I wouldn't call $179 or even $149 a steal. I have never had a problem with the price. I do think that a nearly 10% increase at a time when the economy is in the tank does not make since to me from a business stand point. Now if you want to talk about a steal. All Six Flags passes are good at all of their dry parks. Depending on what park you purchase this at it can be under $50 per person. Now that does not include parking so it isn't exactly apples to apples.

$179 is a lot though for me because I have a family of four (me being the kid, so I have no choice in getting the passes), and that would cost almost $700. My family doesn't even like amusement parks!

We need to adopt you. In our family, we're the coaster-nut parents. I can see how Platinum Passes may not be at the top of the totem poll if your parents don't even like amusement parks. Our kids are going to be raised to like them......or else! :)

We need to adopt you. In our family, we're the coaster-nut parents. I can see how Platinum Passes may not be at the top of the totem poll if your parents don't even like amusement parks. Our kids are going to be raised to like them......or else! :)

That's probably how I will be when I have kids - right now though, with my Gold passes, going to Kings Island on an empty Sunday is a big deal for my parents!

The issue that I have, is neither the Platinum or Gold Passes offer any sort of in park discount on food. Yes, there are the meal deals and such, but I often go to the park with two or three friends, and we are not going to be getting a salad and four drinks to go along with our pizza. Why not offer an across the board discount on food to Platinum pass holders at all food stands of 10, 15 or 20 percent. It might encourage more pass holders to visit the parks more, and definitely spend more money in the parks as they wouldn`t feel like they are being gouged...

With no parking price at these parks, I still think it is a good deal.

With the change at Six Flags, I was wondering if the free parking across the chain would continue with Cedar Fair next year. At least as of this time, the WoF website does indicate "(Admission + Parking at all Cedar Fair parks)"

KIfan1980, ever since I have been purchasing Six Flags passes, parking has never been included. You could purchase a parking upgrade and in the past that was good at all the parks. For 2011 it is only good at your home park.

We were lucky, when we went to the Spring Fling at SFOG each of us got a free parking at any other SF park but SFOG. Those have come in handy this year.

• Like 1