dream ride/attraction wish list

oysterman

People probably didn't expect it at Canada's Wonderland just four years after a hyper coaster, either...

As for my dream attraction, you could plop down Tower of Terror or Indiana Jones Adventure in a field and I'd pay to ride it.

Something like Curse of DarKastle (even a clone) could fit the "Oktoberfest" theme at Kings Island and would be a magnificent attraction that Cedar Fair parks desperately need in order to round out that family offering. It's almost odd that there's only two indoor, air-conditioned attractions at Kings Island...

So it would have been safe to assume that Intimidator 305 wouldn't have had any problems, because it seems Intamin would have been more careful?

The wording of this makes absolutely no sense, and I said that after I305 they would be more careful with that. Did I say they would be with I305? Haha, no. Did I also say that Intamin is perfect and can make a ride with no problems? No again.

RCCA should have been more careful when constructing your beloved Son of Beast. And when was the last time a B & M had a problem where an entire ride was shut down, redesigned, etc?

Paramount Parks dismissed the RCCA affiliate constructing Son of Beast and itself took over as general contractor, in part due to cost overruns.

Most of the construction was overseen by Paramount Parks itself.

Every company has flaws. B&M's reliance on tried-and-true, simple, tested technologies doesn't get them a free pass as a great company. Creations by Intamin and Zierer may experience more downtime and a 'learning curve' for mechanics and operators, but they offer something different.

In a sense, if a man works from home and only walks out to the mailbox once a day to get a newspaper, you don't hold him in high regard for never getting in a ski mobile accident. It just doesn't make sense. Of course B&M's rides have fantastic reliability - they're simple. That's not to say they're less than Intamin's, just that they don't take as much risk and thus have less "flaws" to the casual observer.

• Like 2

I see what you're saying, Korn, but B & M have gone out of their comfort zone a few times. When was the last time Intamin made a flying coaster, a dive coaster, or similar? I know B & M has patents on each design, but why doesn't Intamin make an effort to make a similar design?

We all know Intamin offers a diverse range of products, but B&M has a tried and true business model. When was the last time that Diamondback didn't build up a long line on a busy Saturday?

Flying coasters are the one exception where B&M has relied heavily on technology in the daily operation of a ride. Otherwise, it's chain lifts and gravity-circuits for the win. Not that I mind! Both companies fill an important function in the industry and both, for the most park, do their own thing and not each other's. You'd be hard pressed to find an Intamin creation that looked or felt like a B&M one or vice versa.

You also may want to recall where (to borrow a Terp-ism) Messrs. Bolliger and Mabillard came from in the industry...

I know B & M has patents on each design, but why doesn't Intamin make an effort to make a similar design?

Why doesn't B&M make the effort to create a Strata Coaster? Psycoaster? Launched Wing Coaster? Water rides? Drop Towers? I could honestly go on and on, and I don't have anything against B&M as they're one of my most liked companies; but you are forgetting that all designers have their own styles, and I don't care if Intamin makes a Flyer or a Dive coaster because I already like the things they make, and I'm fine with it. We already have B&M doing great with those rides so why have Intamin do the same? Variation isn't a bad thing.

Intamin said they won't build another strata coaster and I don't think they ever will until there is new technology to make them more reliable. B&M just isn't in the business of building Drop Towers or water rides. That's like saying why doesn't Ford make airplanes? Ford does manufacture transportation but there not in the business of airplanes. B&M designs roller coasters but they're not in the business of water rides or Drop Towers.

I find a lot of B&M's Hyper Coasters to be bland, the only one I actually loved was Goliath at SFOG. If anything I'd want a inverted coaster or a mega lite. I'd like a Mega Lite because it can utilize hilly terrains, remained compact, and still pack a punch. I also wouldn't mind gettign a GCI woodie, that would fit SOB's area perfectly.

The fact that roller coasters are now designed on computers has done a number on the industry, I think. Programs can now tell us what kinds of forces the average rider will experience at any given inch along the course. The result, many would say, is that rides are no where near as forceful as they used to be. Last week, I rode Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens Virginia - those loops feel "too small" for the train and produce some crazy forces, even with trim brakes clutching on for dear life as you enter them. That used to be the standard. Now we're used to loops that are entered into at precisely the right degree and speed for a train of given size and weight, with the computer calculating every data point along the way.

B&M, according to many, has suffered most from the use of computers. Their modern hypercoasters are fun, but not necessarily "thrilling" to the crowd like us who can appreciate and recognize forces and movements. Predictable? Maybe. You certainly can't predict what you'll feel on rides like Vortex, or Loch Ness Monster, where a piece was bent the wrong way upon delivery, melted, re-angled, and smoothed over during construction. Better yet, ride a Schwarzkopf!

Even with computers, mistakes happen... We've seen at least two instances of that with Intamin in the last decade, both at Cedar Fair parks.

IntaminMaverickLayout.jpg

IntimidatorLast.jpg

You know, each time these sorts of topics come around, I'm never quite sure how to answer. There's never been one coaster model that I'd absolutely kill to see appear at KI, though there have been times where certain types seem more beneficial to the park than others. I've had ideas for other parks--I'd like to see a GCI at Cedar Point or a Vekoma Swinging Suspended model at Holiday World, for instance--but nothing's ever really hit me for KI. I haven't really read an idea from anyone else that really resonated with me, either, though you guys do have good suggestions. I think it's because I don't really see KI as a "big coasters, big thrills"-sort of park, which is why a lot of coaster models seem out-of-place to me, but I can't really explain it. I love the Intamin gigacoasters, but anywhere they might place one, in my mind, just seems awkward.

I do think I'd like it if they expanded the flat ride collection, though, which is why

I wish we had a Giant Wheel. In addition to being fun to ride, it really redefines the skyline of a park!

sounds great to me.

Intamin said they won't build another strata coaster and I don't think they ever will until there is new technology to make them more reliable. B&M just isn't in the business of building Drop Towers or water rides. That's like saying why doesn't Ford make airplanes? Ford does manufacture transportation but there not in the business of airplanes. B&M designs roller coasters but they're not in the business of water rides or Drop Towers.

I know that. I was making a point.

I'd like to see them turn that old "History of Paramount" area or whatever it was called into a History of Kings Island area. They could have some vintage pictures, old ride props, behind the scenes videos and whatever else. That's just empty space not being used. I've always thought that would be cool to walk through