Kings Island trip (8/11/2011)

silver2005

I went to Kings Island last Thursday. There is something in this later that I want to bring up, as there was one bad spot in my trip.

Anyways, I went for an all day trip, starting at about 11:30. I started by heading over to Vortex for a few rides to start my trip, as this was my first trip after it opened after the chain fiasco. Rode twice near the back and once in the front. I did read here and take the advice to try the 5th and 6th cars, and of course, was blown away at how much better they are. The 5th car is pretty comfortable, but the 6th is equally as good with some better forces in spots. In the front, I don't know if any of you noticed, but the new chain's color matches the violet-blue of the track. Kind of weird.

I then went back towards the front, riding Blue Racer near the front. I don't know what it is about it, but I seem to like it better and even feel like it rides better at the beginning of the day. I always seem to hit it early on most of my trips.

That done, I headed into Action Zone. I skipped Adventure Express for the line was almost out to the midway (a bit long for my tastes), Delirium had a big line, and Drop Tower and Invertigo were down, so there weren't a lot of options. So I went for Flight Deck. This wait kind of surprised me. Usually, for the days I've been to KI earlier in the season on weekdays, FD's line was short, at least not quite to where it was Thursday, which was about halfway between the station and SOB's old switchback queue. After that long wait, I got a bit warm, so I went for a nice refresher at Congo Falls. It was definitely cooler that day than most, but it still feels great, especially not having the waits WWC often gets.

After that, I ate at Stunt Crew Grill. I walked it off heading back towards the end of Coney Mall. I usually carry some things I need with me, so I had to rent a locker for the next bit (I have some medical issues which I have necessity items a bag). What I usually do is use a locker for WindSeeker, Firehawk and Flight of Fear at the same time. I for one like WindSeeker. I don't pay attention to the hype KI had for it and just ride it for what it is.

Now came the short little bad part of the day. I went from there to X-base to ride Firehawk. I got in the line, which extended just outside the small building prior to the main queue switchbacks. As I got to the building, this woman came out of nowhere and just started to jam her way into the line (line jumping). She did so past at least 4-5 employees (it looked like a shift change or something). I remarked this to the guy working the head of the line (the guy with the stick measuring smaller people), and he gave me a rather surprising and disturbing response. He actually defended the line cutter, giving her the excuse of what the rules state not to do, like to go out for drinks, bathroom, food, etc. I followed by stating the actual rule stated on the park map, but then he really ticked me off, saying that 'he made the rules' and even threatened to have me ejected for 'annoying him'. He even refused to let me talk to a supervisor. I realize employees can't catch every line jumper, but its really bad when they miss them in plain sight. A few visits back, I reported an incident to the crew at Invertigo. They only really told the people cutting not to do it and didn't even send them to the back of the line. They even said it was a myth that you could be ejected. Is it just me, or is it more of a problem this year than most? Maybe I'm just seeing more? Still kind of bothersome. I did report the staff to Guest Relations, and even wrote to KI and got a nice response back. Hopefully it sticks.

Anyways, after Firehawk I did Flight of Fear in the front. BTW, they don't really assign seats on Flight of Fear, at least when I was there (or Beast for that matter). They just ask you to pick an empty seat as the next cycle loads. I for one wasn't too bothered by the fast passers either. I found a few lines more efficient as a matter of fact (Beast's especially, loving not having the crowded stations). I do hate that Flight of Fear comes to a complete stop on the MCBR, especially on the front cars with that weird hang time. Does anyone know why they made it do that and does KD's do the same thing?

After FoF, I got my stuff and headed into Rivertown. Did Beast first in the second seat. Afterwards, I did Diamondback in the second seat as well. Both turned out great. While in the area, I did take the opportunity to ride Woodstock Express as well. I wanted to ride it for some nice nostalgia, but it kind of surprised me. I haven't ridden it since it was still named Beastie, but for what it is, its rather fun. I rode it near the back, and the drops had some nice pops of air. It also made everything else seem huge in comparison, which was kind of nice.

I went back to Action Zone to finish up riding things there. Rode Invertigo, Drop Tower, Congo Falls a 2nd time, and Delirium in pretty quick succession. Delirium's line was about cut in half to what it was earlier in my visit. Also took the time to hit up Adventure Express as it was reduced to a walk on.

By that time, it was about 8 pm, so I decided to do head back up to the back. I always try to catch Beast at night, and with 2 hours to spare, I killed time with a few other rides. Rode Racer and Vortex again, and by the time I got to Diamondback, it was pretty dark. I rode it for the first time at night. I have to say, its really thrilling at night. At the top of the first hill, its like this big black void where all the track should be, which kind of made me loose some prediction as to guessing drop sizes and things. It felt way faster paced and unpredictable as well. I also love how lively the queue and station are at night. Its really festive!

So, I finished up riding Beast in the 2nd seat at night. Overall, aside from the thing at Firehawk, I had a pretty decent day. It'll probably be my last for a while, though UC Football is going later this month, and I'm in the UC band which we usually do a gig for that. My dad also works for P&G so I'll be going on P&G Dividend Day. Not sure about a Haunt visit as UC football wears you out if you're in the marching band. I haven't done it in a while, so I may try hard to go back.

Let's put it this way. Usually, I completely miss instances of line jumping. This year, I can count on one hand how many times out of the many I've ridden WindSeeker where I haven't been line jumped. Ironically, it usually happens right in front of the "Line jumping is prohibited" sign.

Kings Dominion's Flight of Fear does not stop on the MCBR. I don't recall if the block brakes trimmed the ride at all, but the rest of the ride was taken at a much higher speed--and was oddly smoother, too.

Glad to hear you had a (mostly) good time! Good trip report.