Possible New Group

Dan

At PKIC, we are always try to give you the best in everything. With that in mind, we have been thinking of some new ideas. One of them is a new group where members would get special benefits including: Special features of the site, discounts, and a personalized signed copy of "The Unnofficial Guidebook To Paramount's Kings Island". Membership would cost money though, but would be a minimal amount. So my question is, What do you guys think? Are you interested in this or do you think this is the dumbest idea in the world? Tell of what you think and maybe give us some suggestions, because remember, this is YOUR site! :cowboy:

Sunday, January 18th is the PKIC meeting at Siam Orchid in Alexandria, KY. Perhaps we can discuss this more there.

I am more than willing to chip into this site, as are many other folks. Like most of you my resources are limited (with a baby on the way), but every little bit helps.

On a side note, I'm glad that Mrs. G now knows what I mean by "dig in them jeans and pull out them greens."

Have a groovy weekend!

Italian Chef

:chef:

What would be the point? The ads are minimal, and can be blocked by 'net filters anyway. Besides, they don't get in the way while browsing. And its not easily done unless you modify cookies, or completely mirror the site in a passworded section. Any other attempts at an ad-free site would fail, as that url to anything "members only" would be spoiled within minutes of giving the url out.

Although I would like a signed copy of the book, I am sort of curious what "special sections" can come along.

You have to reliese people can get anything they want on the internet for free usually. Unless its something completely unique to this site, people will simply go elsewhere before shelling out money to see something they could see for free elsewhere.

And as for "discounts" I assume you mean from Cafe Press? Unfortunelly, Cafe Press is quite lenient on its discount program. Google for Cafe Press Coupons, and your next order will be virtually free.

Sorry my opinion is harsh, but its the truth. Ive been on the 'net for years, ran many different sites. Don't expect people to shell out money, because really, not many people see the point in it.

Also you need would have to actually have some sort tax ID and stuff so the goverment gets there share. Setting up a pay server is harder than it looks

for the passworded section you would have to have security in place so people don't get it for free. Plus a database of people who are put to the adfree site or the reg version. You would also have to expand your userbase. Plus you would have to have a privacy policy (required by law in some states now) and also you would have to be able to accept credit cards. Paypal doesn't exactly do the trick all the time. You would have to do ALOT of work to do it. It would require extensive perl and PHP coding or ASP(.net)to function properly.

Coasterbuzz club was able to happen cause Jeff was already working for himself and had everything setup. Plus the guy has extensive knowlage of the systems (plus he custom wrote the software he uses).

If you want to go for it do it. Be warned Screw up and it can be a MAJOR screw up. If you even try to make a profit the IRS will want there cut. Research it alot more. If you take all the steps you will be fine. I think its a GREAT idea but watch out and be careful.

(plus you cannot use anything from PKI Including photos you took to make a profit. The agreement is just as long as your not making money on them that they allow it.)

Sorry that I didn't say this before, but we already threw out the idea of an ad-free site. Remember we are still working on this and anything can change. This is why we want your opinions. If you think you have a good idea or think you can help us out please tell us. Thanks for everyone who voiced their opinion already.

Perhaps a raffle can help. If people buy say a $5 ticket that can win neat stuff like a free autographed copy of The Unofficial Guidebook to Paramount's Kings Island (which I can donate); a free PKIC t-shirt, and perhaps a copy of the video shot on 11/2.

If enough people buy raffle tickets, it can help the site out.

Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Italian Chef

:chef:

• 2 weeks later...