Where Was Son Of Beast's Loop Stored?

mccarthysnerd

The Son of Beast loop was taken out about a year before Cedar Fair bought the Paramount parks. So.....Don was hired after the Cedar Fair take over so he had no directional use for it and the then KI spokes person Maureen said they moved it off property to be sold for scrap. So the claim of it being moved to Geauga Lake is very unlikely since at the time they were two separate companies.

Avatar - i think you are mistaken in the timeline.

I believe:

- CF purchase closed end June 2006

- SoB accident (with loop) occurred July 2006

- SoB reopened (without loop) July 2007

I don't know when Don was hired, but CF owned the parks when the loop was removed.

Thanks for the timeline correction KIfan1980 yes Cedar Fair did take over in July 2006 and within that month is when the SOB accident occur ed which brought about the the delooping of SOB. Maureen was still the spokesperson for the KI and answered all question she could about the incident here on KICentral. She was at least part of the press releases about the removal of the SOB delooping.

I was just saying what I had seen. I was with another person, whom I won't name here, but we both saw one part of the loop at Geauga. It looked like the top portion. It was brown steal curved piece and looked exactly like the top of the SOB loop, which is why we assumed it was that. That was 4 years ago, just months after the loop had been removed. I'm sure it's totally gone now, as is Geauga Lake.

No, they actually kept it at the park. It's what the metal backings for the employee nametags are made from.

(I love starting stupid rumors)

Yep, you're right about that! That's what they did with it after GL closed. I think they shared that with Cedar Point! ;)

The loop was nearly 12 stories tall. It was reportedly "salvaged."

I'm sorry but there's no way it was anywhere near 12 stories tall. I work in an office building that is 12 stories and that loop wasn't anywhere remotely close to being that tall. Now if you mean it was 12 stories in the air, I guess that's possible (though doubtful), but I refuse to believe the loop itself was 12 stories high. LOL. that's absurd

^ Or even the first lift hill on the original Beast:

Racer lift hill: 88'

The Beast lift hill: 110' (though largest drop, using terrain, is 141')

Son of Beast loop: 118'

Son of Beast lift hill: 218' (a whopping 108' difference between the 2 coasters, and Beast is generally considered a "large" wooden roller coaster itself, based on height!)

In Fact...this may shock some of you: only 3 of Kings Island's roller coasters, besides SOB itself, are taller than the loop- Invertigo, Vortex, and of course Diamondback. The rest are all shorter. That was one BIG loop. And yet, there are even bigger loops!

Yeah, I was really disappointed, the year the loop was gone, a ride-op giving random factoids asked, "What coaster has the biggest loop in the park?" Most people said Vortex, but it's just high up, and I was really disappointed to find that Firehawk has a biggest one in the park......

Although, if the cobra roll and side winder in FOF were of the same height, but regular loops, they'd be taller I imagine :P

If I remember correctly or if I can find it saved on my computer, someone put up a picture of the loop sitting in the parking lot after it had been dismantled.

I don't know if you're thinking of the same thing as me, but I remember a while back that someone posted pictures of what they said was the loop after being dismantled however they were later figured out to be photos of it before construction, slightly altered. If not though, I'd love to see the pictures.

This might be more appropriate under Guests Say The Darndest Things, but it pertains to the SOB loop, so I'll post it here. Terpy can attest to this one, as he was with me. This was opening day 2007, we were on the Eiffel Tower and heard a guest say they took the loop off Son of Beast and put it on Firehawk! She was serious too!

• Like 1