Kings Island Halloween Haunt Job

I'm looking to get a job at Kings Island Halloween Haunt and ive been looking forward to working there for a long time. Can anyone give me an idea of what its like to work there and what their looking for in a person that wants to work as one of the monsters. Im currently a Junior at Live Oaks and im in Computer Service Technician, so please help THANKS!

Here's a list of things you should be doing if you decide to become a monster. If you:

• aren't sore or aching in pain by the end of the night
  • haven't made someone cry from scaring them that bad
  • haven't had someone throw a beverage on you
  • haven't made someone think you are having convulsions/seizures
  • haven't sweated off your makeup halfway through the night
  • haven't dry heaved from pushing yourself past your limits

...then YOU AREN'T DOING YOUR JOB RIGHT. :P Being a monster in a haunted house requires inhuman levels of blood, sweat, and tears that you won't see in a lot of other jobs at the park. It's as close to being an actor in an Oscar-winning drama as you can get, meaning you have to make your audience believe you are a force to be reckoned with. It's not simply popping out of a closet and going BOO, but becoming something people will genuinely fear and be afraid of.

Also, do not, I repeat, DO NOT be afraid to act crazy. Sanity is all but forbidden at the Haunt. The crazier the better. Don't be shy or timid (unless a role specifically calls for that or you know how to make shy and timid scary); be loud and aggressive. Get up close and personal with them. You can get up to an inch away from their face and, without touching them, scare them silly as their personal bubble pops. They've entered your territory, and that means it's time to defend it.

One last thing, this is a team effort. It is a lot harder if a single person tries to scare a large group, although in some cases, you may be all by yourself and have to go rogue. But if the opportunity comes or you have other monsters to work with, by all means, WORK WITH THEM. Tag-teaming is a killer way to get people into the fetal position when they realize they are surrounded. Also, ping-ponging works fantastically with other monsters; scare a person and lead them to the next monster, they scare them and lead them to the next one and so on.

You (should) have the ability to work with veteran monsters, some of them are back for Round 2, others are almost living legends they've been here so long. Don't be afraid to talk to them to get tips, they are a gold mine of information and they will go out of their way to help become one of the greats. After all, the Haunt crew is like family. One big dysfunctional family.

Hope this works out for ya,

- The RingMaster.

• Like 5

also, on a side note, DONT say "boo" or use catchphrases from movies like "why so serious". when i worked it in 2009, someone in my attraction did so & one of the yellow jackets told everyone @ the beginin of the next night that that is highly frowned upon (& my personal opinion is that that is just tacky/cheesy/corny/lame).

When I get back from Halloweekends opening weeked im going to be going in one last time for the chance of getting hired the week before. Sometimes the park wont hire enough and will hire so fingers crossed.

that would be great, but i just called up on what to do i.e. audiotions, interview things, and the guy told me i had to come in and audiotion and i was thinking "so what i have to go in and act like a monster in front of the employer :l.

anyone who has previously worked there would be great and thanks for the help

hopefully i get the job and we can team up and scare people :D

When I get back from Halloweekends opening weeked im going to be going in one last time for the chance of getting hired the week before. Sometimes the park wont hire enough and will hire so fingers crossed.

that would be great, but i just called up on what to do i.e. audiotions, interview things, and the guy told me i had to come in and audiotion and i was thinking "so what i have to go in and act like a monster in front of the employer :l.

Take a sheet from the bed...cut two eye holes and put it on your head.

id rather have a professional costume, and im all about halloween, i bought a 40 mask once just because i thought it was scary

id rather have a professional costume, and im all about halloween, i bought a 40 mask once just because i thought it was scary

Here's a list of things you should be doing if you decide to become a monster. If you:

...then YOU AREN'T DOING YOUR JOB RIGHT. :P Being a monster in a haunted house requires inhuman levels of blood, sweat, and tears that you won't see in a lot of other jobs at the park. It's as close to being an actor in an Oscar-winning drama as you can get, meaning you have to make your audience believe you are a force to be reckoned with. It's not simply popping out of a closet and going BOO, but becoming something people will genuinely fear and be afraid of.

Also, do not, I repeat, DO NOT be afraid to act crazy. Sanity is all but forbidden at the Haunt. The crazier the better. Don't be shy or timid (unless a role specifically calls for that or you know how to make shy and timid scary); be loud and aggressive. Get up close and personal with them. You can get up to an inch away from their face and, without touching them, scare them silly as their personal bubble pops. They've entered your territory, and that means it's time to defend it.

One last thing, this is a team effort. It is a lot harder if a single person tries to scare a large group, although in some cases, you may be all by yourself and have to go rogue. But if the opportunity comes or you have other monsters to work with, by all means, WORK WITH THEM. Tag-teaming is a killer way to get people into the fetal position when they realize they are surrounded. Also, ping-ponging works fantastically with other monsters; scare a person and lead them to the next monster, they scare them and lead them to the next one and so on.

You (should) have the ability to work with veteran monsters, some of them are back for Round 2, others are almost living legends they've been here so long. Don't be afraid to talk to them to get tips, they are a gold mine of information and they will go out of their way to help become one of the greats. After all, the Haunt crew is like family. One big dysfunctional family.

- The RingMaster.

There's also that 'lull them into a sense of normalcy' gig that's got me every time. In Slaughter house, the head meat counter guy was singing "Don't Fence Me In" in this very relaxed way, to the point where I was singing with him.

Then he scared the hell out of me.

just go in there normal, they will ask what they want from you...

That was exactly what I was going to say. Each house is different and requires something unique from each "scare actor". What you will find out when you are placed is that each scare area will involve a distraction then the initial scare. The manager of that attraction will be moving you around until they get the sequence just right (every attraction will vary in this aspect. each attraction requires its own unique elements). It's very much like creating a picture on a movie set. When employees do run-throughs, before the attraction is opened to guests, park management will then determine whether the attraction is under or overdone. At that point several elements are changed (environment props, actor placement, etc.). When we opened Urgent Scare in 08 my room underwent 8 to 10 changes before the attraction opened to the public. Some elements they loved, while others needed tweaking - the beds needed moved to make more room for guests...then the props got in the way...beds were then switched from one side of the room to the other...then the actor who was distracting was too obvious...then he wasn't, but the scare actor was...and so on. You get the picture. As others in this post have said, working in a house can be very physically demanding and, in most cases, it gets very difficult to keep up the stamina after several hours of repeating your performance on a loop...but...when you are capable of multiple scares in one single group, and you have your formula/performance down, you will have a blast ;) I'll likely be at the starting point transforming your faces into monsters, zombies and ghosts this year...see you there!

~Josh

Go to the interview dressed normally! You would look out of place if you went in a costume lol. Don't be nervous about the audition! I won't ruin any surprises about the interview/audition. Just go in and be yourself, and don't be nervous, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!

i got told to come back next weekend because im not 16 yet, but i turn 16 in to days

but while i was there i heard a girl scream really loudly :l scared me and i wasnt even in the room lol

but ya ill go back next weekend do all the stuff blah bklah blag

also during the days their not open or anything will they have you come in and get ready and practice being a monster or something?

i got told to come back next weekend because im not 16 yet, but i turn 16 in to days

but while i was there i heard a girl scream really loudly :l scared me and i wasnt even in the room lol

but ya ill go back next weekend do all the stuff blah bklah blag

also during the days their not open or anything will they have you come in and get ready and practice being a monster or something?

Well, if your turning 16 to day...then you're all set ;) jk...In any case, what you were hearing was the audition. As I stated, every attraction calls for different characters and you will audition for the character they have in mind for you. It's a bit ackward, but they will say "ok, you're a zombie and this is the scenario..." Very quick, very short. "Now scream to the top of your lugs"...good, "now let's get a picture of you and you're set". You'll be in and out in a matter of 5 min. At this point they may or may not tell you which attraction you will be placed in. If it's a new attraction, very little details will be shared. You will then read a disclosure form, that you will need to sign with your own blood, to promise not to share with the media what you may, or may not, have seen/heard. It's all just for fun...pricking your finger for blood - not so much ;)

~Josh

You're a monster maker?

no im trying to go for one of the monsters

I believe she was asking jandyb79....

Yes, I was.

I'll be going early this year, I hope. I've got my cousin almost convinced to go with us, he'll go through anything to ride The Beast.

- The RingMaster.

This has got to be one of my all-time favorite posts because it is so true. Great advice, RingMaster! (I'm already looking forward to being sore at the end of the night...)

also, on a side note, DONT say "boo" or use catchphrases from movies like "why so serious". when i worked it in 2009, someone in my attraction did so & one of the yellow jackets told everyone @ the beginin of the next night that that is highly frowned upon (& my personal opinion is that that is just tacky/cheesy/corny/lame).

I completely agree. Be original. It would be one thing to use movie phrases if the house was themed to a movie, but none of the KI houses are. It may take a while to think of some good lines, and it takes some trial and error to find out what works and what doesn't. I've had some that I thought were great that fizzled when I used them. But that just makes you want to try harder.

There's also that 'lull them into a sense of normalcy' gig that's got me every time. In Slaughter house, the head meat counter guy was singing "Don't Fence Me In" in this very relaxed way, to the point where I was singing with him.

Heeheehee... That may or may not have been me. Do you happen to remember where in the house this happened and/or what the guy looked like? I've found myself singing along with the great soundtrack in there before... and then scaring the hell out of people! :D

im a prety big dude at 6'3, theyll probably have me as a wolf or something big and scary

I can think of a few good spots for you... Good luck with the audition! And remember, when/if you get placed before the park announces the 2011 attractions, don't post on here or anywhere else where you are. Doing so could jeopardize your job, and working Haunt is too much fun to miss out on!

Gator, eagerly awaiting the park to announce what the 2011 Haunt attractions will be so that the KIC universe can be informed as to where they can find me lurking this year. :ph34r:

• Like 1

- The RingMaster.

This has got to be one of my all-time favorite posts because it is so true. Great advice, RingMaster! (I'm already looking forward to being sore at the end of the night...)

I completely agree. Be original. It would be one thing to use movie phrases if the house was themed to a movie, but none of the KI houses are. It may take a while to think of some good lines, and it takes some trial and error to find out what works and what doesn't. I've had some that I thought were great that fizzled when I used them. But that just makes you want to try harder.

Heeheehee... That may or may not have been me. Do you happen to remember where in the house this happened and/or what the guy looked like? I've found myself singing along with the great soundtrack in there before... and then scaring the hell out of people! :D

im a prety big dude at 6'3, theyll probably have me as a wolf or something big and scary

I can think of a few good spots for you... Good luck with the audition! And remember, when/if you get placed before the park announces the 2011 attractions, don't post on here or anywhere else where you are. Doing so could jeopardize your job, and working Haunt is too much fun to miss out on!

Gator, eagerly awaiting the park to announce what the 2011 Haunt attractions will be so that the KIC universe can be informed as to where they can find me lurking this year. :ph34r:

It happened right at the front, after they let you in the door and count off the number of people. It was set up like a store.

I'm sorry I don't recall what the guy looked like, but it was dark, but he was definitely dressed as a meat market salesman, with the l'i'l service hat.

- The RingMaster.

It happened right at the front, after they let you in the door and count off the number of people. It was set up like a store.

I'm sorry I don't recall what the guy looked like, but it was dark, but he was definitely dressed as a meat market salesman, with the l'i'l service hat.

did he look like this???

SANY1985.jpg

rotag, tryin to be helpful...

YES!!! THAT WAS ME!!! :D It's so great to hear from one of my victims!

Most nights I was typically only in that room for about 15-20 minutes a night, covering the break of the person normally in there. Last year "Mama" was in that room; she did a wonderful job in there. And when Mama needed a break, I was always the one to fill in. Some nights I was in there longer, but not very often.

My costume was a chef's jacket, apron, black & white checkered pants with a matching bandana (which could very easily be mistaken for a "l'i'l service hat" in the dark), and my own custom made nametag with my alter-ego's name on it.

OK, this has just got me even more ready! 24 days to go!