Rye Beach Arrests over ban of Muslim Head gear on rides

if park rules ban ANY head gear (ex: hat, wig, glasses, doo-rags, bandanas, turbans, head wraps, scarves, ect.) then thats all there is to it. rules are made for a reason & in this cases it's to keep the "loose article" from flying off during the ride. it's always interesting to see when people play the "race/gender/age" card...

When I was at Six Flags Great Adventure in N.J., however, I saw a lot of Orthodox Jewish teenage boys wearing yalmukes while riding the coasters. It seemed like the park was very liberal about accomadating the many different ethnic types that frequent the park. Of course, I don't know enough about the Rye Beach incident to judge.

what i got from that article was a simple rule was enforced & when one was defiant against that rule, it was turned into a despute where the law enforcers were called upon & it escalated out of control which lead to an arrest. the guilty party is trying to use the race card to justify there rightousness. or @ least thats how i read the article...

Peter Taraglia, deputy commissioner of Westchester County Parks, said the Muslim American Society of New York was warned in advance of the rule barring head scarves on rides for safety reasons.

"Part of our rules and regulations, which we painstakingly told them over and over again, is that certain rides you cannot wear any sort of headgear," Tartaglia said. "It's a safety issue for us on rides, it could become a projectile."

I find this quote interesting. Was this a lack of communication from the Muslim American Society to their atendees? Very interesting story and a shame that Rye Beach was caught in the middle. The rules are the rules. Should be interesting what the dashboard cams show as well as security footage. Very one sided story currently. Also read the comments bellow the article...

I've been following this, it's a sticky subject. My feeling is that if one is required to wear specific headgear for religious reasons, and the rides cannot be ridden due to headgear, then one must make the sacrifice of not riding for religious reasons, the same way some Catholics don't eat meat on Fridays for Lent. I've not seen too many Catholics demand all Big Boys stop frying hamburgers on Fridays.

I don't think there was a lack of communication to the members if the MAS. They seemed ready to argue the point even before they were in line for the first coaster.

I'm sorry, but my sternum rates higher in my book than your scarf. I don't want to be stopped short when your veil hits the tracks under me.

When I was at Six Flags Great Adventure in N.J., however, I saw a lot of Orthodox Jewish teenage boys wearing yalmukes while riding the coasters. It seemed like the park was very liberal about accomadating the many different ethnic types that frequent the park. Of course, I don't know enough about the Rye Beach incident to judge.

Accommodation is not what's in question here.

There is a safety issue with wearing any sort of head gear on the rides as deemed by the park, manufacturer, or both. It's a silly concept that someone would insist that they're required to wear something, and that that takes precedence over their own safety and the safety of others.

If I've decided to wear an inflatable fat suit to Cedar Point, I can either remove it before riding Top Thrill Dragster, or I can not ride Top Thrill Dragster. It's not that anyone has anything again inflatable fat suits per se. It's just that in order to ride, I must remove it. I may very well like to ride it and ask that the ride operators accommodate me by allowing me on regardless. It doesn't matter. It's dangerous and against the rules set by the park. If my religion required the use of said fat suit, it would still need to be removed prior to riding all the same.

Discrimination isn't even a question here - it's not discrimination. I don't even think those affected are claiming discrimination. More than anything, it's a lack of communication somewhere along the line.

Religious beliefs don't just allow you to break rules if they are there for the safety of you and others. If your beliefs prohibit you from riding, then don't ride. Don't try and just ride anyways and not expect there to be repercussions for breaking rules.

• Like 1

i agree with what someone said before... some of this reaction seems a bit choreographed.

What about the cancer survivor that wears a head scarf to cover their bald head (no disrespect intended)- in order to ride the coaster- it has to come off. To them it may be embarrassing, but they can choose to ride or not; however- in the end it cannot be worn on the coaster. Who is that discriminating against?

So according to the one CedarPointer posted, they wanted a refund too. If I went to Kings Island and got in trouble for say...smoking outside a designated area, then said that I was harassed and the park hates all smokers, then asked for a refund for my ticket? Why should I get a refund when I was warned a head of time that the park doesn't allow smoking outside designated areas...

AND the park probably lost a ton of money thanks to them causing a ton of problems by making a scene and causing the park to close and offer refunds to all guests.

This comment at the bottom of the article, I very much like. It is true... Once you can get past the poor sentence structure, of course.

Funny if a woman from another country goes to certain arab countries they are required to wear the hijab or else.You are america and if an amusement park tells you you can wear the hijab for your saftey and others do it or dont ride thats the rules.