Kings Dominion 2012 – WindSeeker

Why don`t they just add the same ride to every park??? Come on, I understand about most every park having Dodgems and Scrambler type rides, but these are major investments... We are already up to six WindSeekers already. Any other takers onto which Cedar Fair park is next to acquire a WindSeeker?

• Like 1

I doubt there was much of a discount for buying so many of them. The one thing that needs to be ironed out, imo, is the ride computer needs to be able to pin point which bars are not locked. Simply stating that the bars are not locked, results in longer loading times as operators have to try and find the bar that is not locked enough according to the sensor. Its not like Diamondback, where the computer can pinpoint a specific seat...

• Like 1

I doubt there was much of a discount for buying so many of them. The one thing that needs to be ironed out, imo, is the ride computer needs to be able to pin point which bars are not locked. Simply stating that the bars are not locked, results in longer loading times as operators have to try and find the bar that is not locked enough according to the sensor. Its not like Diamondback, where the computer can pinpoint a specific seat...

I find this odd... Don't the 2 indicator lights on the outside of each gondola only illuminate when the corresponding restraint has locked? It's odd that the proper sensors appear to be in place, but for whatever reason that data isn't fully presented in the booth.

As far as adding WindSeekers to each park, I don't see the harm in it. These (with the debatable exception of Knott's, and perhaps Cedar Point) properties are all regional, and few outside of the enthusiast realm will mind (or notice, for that matter) that the rides are duplicated.

It's interesting to note that while the first four were marketed as $5 million investments, the Carowinds and KD models are listed on their respective park website pages as costing $6.5 million. What, I wonder, is the difference? Are these two going to have new features that the first four don't? Does the $6.5M figure take into account the problems with the first four and what it took to fix them (e.g. the hydraulic dampers)? Is inflation partially responsible? My guess is B.

It's interesting to note that while the first four were marketed as $5 million investments, the Carowinds and KD models are listed on their respective park website pages as costing $6.5 million. What, I wonder, is the difference? Are these two going to have new features that the first four don't? Does the $6.5M figure take into account the problems with the first four and what it took to fix them (e.g. the hydraulic dampers)? Is inflation partially responsible? My guess is B.

Listed under special features...

On-board Audio playing 18 different music tracks during the ride

Is this new to the Kings Dominion WindSeeker? If so, it will very much make up for the more than 1 million dollar difference. From what I've read here, such audio systems are extremely expensive.

I believe Cedar Fair's decision to build WindSeekers at many parks to have been very wise. Not only is it a very marketable attraction (1), but it is extremely cheap compared to what Cedar Fair typically has been known to invest in (2). (Remember, Cedar Fair is still in overwhelming debt.)

1. In my own opinion, WindSeeker was a much more marketable addition for the 2011 season than any coaster would have been, considering Diamondback is still very new.

2. For the same price as Canada's Wonderland's Leviathan, Cedar Fair could of bought four WindSeekers, and had a little bit of cash to spare.

I have to say that WindSeeker in operation provides quite a striking visual. I have yet to ride it, but during my few visits to KI this summer, I have been pretty surprised at how interesting it is to watch, especially when it reaches the top. It almost doesn't look real, almost like a CGI movie...

• Like 1

Listed under special features...

On-board Audio playing 18 different music tracks during the ride

Is this new to the Kings Dominion WindSeeker? If so, it will very much make up for the more than 1 million dollar difference. From what I've read here, such audio systems are extremely expensive.

I believe Cedar Fair's decision to build WindSeekers at many parks to have been very wise. Not only is it a very marketable attraction (1), but it is extremely cheap compared to what Cedar Fair typically has been known to invest in (2). (Remember, Cedar Fair is still in overwhelming debt.)

1. In my own opinion, WindSeeker was a much more marketable addition for the 2011 season than any coaster would have been, considering Diamondback is still very new.

2. For the same price as Canada's Wonderland's Leviathan, Cedar Fair could of bought four WindSeekers, and had a little bit of cash to spare.

Don't forget that CF is now under the control of a new CEO so the days of building large coasters for the most part are over so I can easily see how this would make sense from a financial standpoint & I for one am looking forward to the ride.

Don't the other four have onboard audio?In all of the vids I've seen so far they're always playing music or does that apply to only the queue area?