The Spook

jbt

Defunct dark rides tend to be very poorly documented. I'd be tickled to find interior pictures of any of Coney Island's dark rides. (Though, the park has had quite a few dark rides and walk-through attractions throughout its history.)

In addition to that, evidence suggests there were some (probably concessionaire owned and operated) dark rides and walk-through attractions in the late 1800s and during the Great Depression that got no documentation whatsoever.

Let me see how many documented dark ride and walk-through attractions I can name right off: Laff in the Dark, Bluebeard's Castle, Devil's Kitchen, Noah's Ark, Hall of Mirrors, Showboat, Haunted House, The Spook, The Jungle... I'm sure I'm missing some.

• 2 weeks later...

The Spook was added in 1960 according to CCI, along with four other rides.

It was designed by Arrow Development Company which manufactured many of

Disneylands attractions. Another tie-in to Walt Disney!

http://www.mv-voice....history726.html

They made their name with roller coasters.

Here are some of their milestones according to Wikipedia:

According to CCI, riders were rapidly transported in four-seater cars that replicated old time automobiles

through a series of scary and comical stunts before ending in daylight.

pilotank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be great if anything from coney could be found on their dark rides for sure!!!!!

Could you imagine just a couple of dark rides added to the park up north would be.

Or if coney added a new family relaxing dark ride no shoot em ups, costly for a coney sized park I'm sure:

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...

I had the childhood pleasure of riding the Coney Island (Cincinnati) haunted house ride.   To this day it is the best haunted house ride I have ever been on.   You rode in a car and travelled through a house from basement to attic that was inhabited by skeletons and other scary monsters which were life sized and realistically posed.   It had plenty of cobwebs and old creepy furniture.  Everything was well done, and no cheesy effects except for the obligatory pop out scare as you went out the last door.  I recall at some point the car you were in travelled outside the house for a brief moment and went then back in--a truly scary (thrilling) moment for a kid!   What distinguished it from many rides is that it looked just like the inside of real haunted house--sort of like the Addams Family house on TV.  It was a beautiful, fun and spooky ride.  I hope more photos videos of it surface.    

Edited by NickL
to identify the ride.
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, NickL said:

I had the childhood pleasure of riding the Coney Island (Cincinnati) haunted house ride.   To this day it is the best haunted house ride I have ever been on.   You rode in a car and travelled through a house from basement to attic that was inhabited by skeletons and other scary monsters which were life sized and realistically posed.   It had plenty of cobwebs and old creepy furniture.  Everything was well done, and no cheesy effects except for the obligatory pop out scare as you went out the last door.  I recall at some point the car you were in travelled outside the house for a brief moment and went then back in--a truly scary (thrilling) moment for a kid!   What distinguished it from many rides is that it looked just like the inside of real haunted house--sort of like the Addams Family house on TV.  It was a beautiful, fun and spooky ride.  I hope more photos videos of it surface.    

Been curious about this ride for a while. Really appreciate your memories, here. You typically don’t hear a lot about this ride. Very cool!