New for 2012! Kings Island's Water Park Doubles in Size and Becomes Soak City!

It's hard to believe that it's already time for the 2012 announcement, but that time has finally come! After several years of some much-needed park improvements it's now time for the water park to get its due!

Soak City is set to debut at Kings Island in 2012 and this is far from just a simple rebranding. This $10 million dollar expansion will double the size of the water park currently dubbed Boomerang Bay.

Included in the expansion are the following:

- A brand new wave pool which is bigger and more aggressive than the park's original wave pool. It will measure 39,000 square feet and house more than 650,000 gallons of water. The wave heights will hit a staggering four feet high in this wet and wild experience. As an added bonus, tubes will finally be allowed in this wave pool!

- The Lazy River won't be so lazy anymore as it becomes a new Action River! This will include interactive areas for spectators as well as new waterfalls, rain curtains, tipping buckets, spray hoses, spray units, and jets coming up from the bottom to create a more turbulent ride!

- A new entrance plaza will be added to the water park's parking lot entrance. This will feature a new walkway, new fencing, ticket sales windows, as well as trees and grass.

- More amenities will also be part of the expansion at Soak City. There will be new family changing rooms, more secluded shade-covered areas and cabanas that feature televisions and fans.

- Professional quality sand volleyball courts will also be added for your leisure.

- There will be huge capacity increases of the lounging areas at Soak City which measure up to the size of three football fields! An additional 1,000 chairs will be available for guests to soak up the sun in this new wet and wild experience.

To see a rendering, follow the link below:

http://www.KICentral...album=341&pos=0

Soak City is set to debut in the Spring of 2012 and WILL BE INCLUDED WITH THE COST OF PARK ADMISSION. Season passes are currently on sale for the lowest price of the season at $69.99 an entire season of fun!

Also announced today was return of Halloween Haunt as well as the kid-friendly Howl-O-Fest. In addition to that there will be Trick-or-Treating with the Dinosaurs in the Dinosaurs Alive! attraction in 2011.

Once again I will say, this is pretty much pointless unless they added a slide.

The wave pool is pointless, because one is enough.

Renaming it Soak City is pointless, because now we're just a generic water park. It will draw no attention.

I do like the action river, though.

If you tell me to stop complaining, I won't, because THIS is worth complaining...

• Like 2

I went to the water park last Friday because and it just seemed sad. I'm glad it's finally getting attention.

Plus, many major parks have two wave pools. I also think that you're going to be pleasantly surprised by the Action River. I did the one down at Aquatica a few months ago and it was a blast.

I went to the water park last Friday because and it just seemed sad. I'm glad it's finally getting attention.

Plus, many major parks have two wave pools. I also think that you're going to be pleasantly surprised by the Action River. I did the one down at Aquatica a few months ago and it was a blast.

What exactly is an action river? I'm still confused about it.

The wave pool is pointless, because one is enough.

Have you ever seen how crowded the wave pool can get on really hot days? It's almost impossible to have any fun! This will make it a lot more comfortable and fun. Also, INNER TUBES!! Have you ever been in an inner tube in a wave pool? It's awesome!

Now time to wait for raptorguy's response.....

• Like 1

Cpt Crunch do you think the world revolves around YOU? I can tell you for sure that Kings Island doesn't think it revolves around any single guest. When they add new attractions they look at area that are in most need or in demand to include at certain target market. They may add to an area with hopes to expand on it more in future years when they have a bigger budget for that area. If you have ever been to the BB wave pool on a Saturday you will find the new Wave Pool is long overdue and to prove the point it got so crowded that my family started to stay away from BB. This new expansion may not be for the thrill seekers but it is an area that is oin my opinion most needed for the park as a whole.

• Like 2

Although I wish the expansion could of came with a new slide, I'm very excited! I may not be the biggest water park fan, but Boom..Ugh, I mean Soak City is very popular (Actually most water parks that come with park admission are), so this definitely will bring in a LOT of money!

I'll start off with the entrance, it looks very welcoming and permanent, where the Boomerang Bay entrance looked cheap and temporary. The new wave pool is HUGE! I know Great Barrier Reef is always packed, so this will be nice to have two options! I am most excited for Action River. In 2008 I went to Schlitterbahn Galveston, they have "Torrent River", and it is INTENSE! Seriously, if Action River is anything like it, you will spend probably half your time in it! Lastly, anyone notice the new path leading to Snowy River Rampage? I was thinking it may have been an error, but part of the new Action River is that non-swimmers can interact, probably meaning shoot water. Just like White Water Canyon, this will probably have a new viewing platform on the new path leading the Snowy River Rampage. This path will be highly appreciated by me considering SRR is my favorite slide in the park, I will no longer have to walk up/down the steep stairs that have leaves all over them!

I'm very impressed with this announcement, and I can not wait to visit next summer at Soak City-the fun and only (in Southern Ohio) :P

Cpt Crunch maybe they will give it some time, maybe they needed to expand the area first so that they have a place and area to put a new slide in.

If they spent the budget on a new slide now and then decided to add a wave pool and other amenities later how would they work around tha water slide right in the middle of an area they needed for a wave pool. First things first.

I am happy about the additions and the care given to the park, but disappointed with the renaming. It's yet another instance of DE-themeing for no apparent reason. There were PLENTY of ways to re-market the new Boomerang Bay. Changing the name to emulate Cedar Point's water park and billing it as an attraction for the park's 40th anniversary is low. I think it was (yet again) the mis-represented build-up that has harmed the park's reputation in the public's eye. Take a look at the Facebook page.

And with that, I am truly leaning towards trading in my Platinum Pass for my first ever Six Flags Pass come next season. Cedar Fair's marketing and investment departments have really dug a hole here. New for 2012 across their portfolio will be still more dinosaur exhibits (and at the expense of some beloved family favorites), more WindSeekers, and now this. Again, it's absolutely an improvement. But are they so blind that this many years later, they still haven't recognized that what is really is does not matter half as much as what it's perceived as? And thus far, the perception was that a "new attraction for 2012" was instead a re-named water park and a removal of the unique themeing it contained. Will Soak City be better than Boomerang Bay? Undoubtedly. But Kings Island is not Cedar Point. Kings Island visitors expect a different level of themeing, and some squirting dijeridoos, kangaroo statues, whimsical paintings, and themed restaurants really did make a difference.

Again, I think it'll be a nice change. But why get rid of the themeing? Why not build on it instead?

So now, I think I will spend next summer visiting the U.S.'s first wing coaster and embarking on great adventures rather than riding still more WindSeekers and seeing these parks treated as if they ought to be twins.

Cedar Point South.

• Like 3

What exactly is an action river? I'm still confused about it.

Imagine the lazy river but much faster and with more water elements. They're a lot of fun.

An no, Boomerang Bay will be rebranded to Soak City plus epansions. It won't be two seperate parks.

I am happy about the additions and the care given to the park, but disappointed with the renaming. It's yet another instance of DE-themeing for no apparent reason. There were PLENTY of ways to re-market the new Boomerang Bay. Changing the name to emulate Cedar Point's water park and billing it as an attraction for the park's 40th anniversary is low. I think it was (yet again) the mis-represented build-up that has harmed the park's reputation in the public's eye. Take a look at the Facebook page.

And with that, I am truly leaning towards trading in my Platinum Pass for my first ever Six Flags Pass come next season. Cedar Fair's marketing and investment departments have really dug a hole here. New for 2012 across their portfolio will be still more dinosaur exhibits (and at the expense of some beloved family favorites), more WindSeekers, and now this. Again, it's absolutely an improvement. But are they so blind that this many years later, they still haven't recognized that what is really is does not matter half as much as what it's perceived as? And thus far, the perception was that a "new attraction for 2012" was instead a re-named water park and a removal of the unique themeing it contained. Will Soak City be better than Boomerang Bay? Undoubtedly. But Kings Island is not Cedar Point. Kings Island visitors expect a different level of themeing, and some squirting dijeridoos, kangaroo statues, whimsical paintings, and themed restaurants really did make a difference.

Again, I think it'll be a nice change. But why get rid of the themeing? Why not build on it instead?

So now, I think I will spend next summer visiting the U.S.'s first wing coaster and embarking on great adventures rather than riding still more WindSeekers and seeing these parks treated as if they ought to be twins.

Cedar Point South.

i agree with what you said. as a result. i am taking my park visits on the road & visiting more family owned parks for my first time & doing this chain park once next year. ive always liked parks that werent chain parks as you visit one, youve seen most of what the rest of the chain has to offer...

And with that, another piece of the park will officially be de-paramountized.....

With all honesty, I think that this is a great addition. Not only will it make the waterpark larger, but it will also breath new air into the area, and allow for more attractions in the future. You have to admit, Boomerang Bay as it stands presently is not all that attractive. EVERYTHING is fading (slides, buildings, and even the fiberglass animals) and has just become a same-old-same-old sort of deal.

The only thing that I am hesitant about is if this change means that the waterpark will have a generic public-pool feel to it. After all, Boomerang Bay was Australian themed (far from excellent theming, but theming none the less). Hopefully, Soak City will have a great atmosphere, and some more extravagent/themed features. It looks like the action river will have some cool elements, but I just hope that this isn't yet another step in converting an excellent theme park into a county fair....

KIBOB, hoping that Mr. Oimet will have some input on how this happens...

Well, at least the waterpark is getting some attention. It sounds like it needed it. Not going to beat Splashin' Safari though (they have bigger, badder waterslides and will have 2 water coasters next year). As for the new name...I agree with others here: LAME. It doesn't ruin the waterpark, like how Drop Tower is still a great ride in spite of the bland generic name, but they could have done better...or just kept calling it Boomerang Bay...

Perhaps the Australian fad has lost it's flavor, and they want to update the image.

I'm hoping for more lockers, and I see the grassy areas have been updated. More lounge chairs mean I won't have to park my possessions in the grass.

(I'm designing a new park bag with a bike chain as the carry strap, to lock firmly onto a lounge chair- just in case there's no lockers.)

A less crowded wave pool, intertubes, more changing rooms. I might give it a look.

To be honest, I was only in Boomerang Bay for an hour this last summer, I only got to try the wave pool. I might look into giving the other things a try.

Guest PizzaBaby027

I am very excited, do not like the name but love the new expansion!! What I love most, besides the new 5 foot tall wave; wave pool is the entrance. This means that they may work on the current entrance to the park. If the park expands the parking lot to the open field then they could simply make the current entrance do a round turn and back down along KI drive and then have the entrance kinda by the light and then into the parking lot. Doing this will allow traffic to be in the park lane and not on the main road. Do you understand, I will make it clearer, the current entrance is very close, well will be to the water park, they they could demolish the current entrance and use the path way and make it turn and have a lane go against traffic and go all the way down into the field, which will now hold a parking lot I believe. Making the entrance down there, allowing traffic to be in that long lane, and avoiding all the fluster in the main road. I am also glad to see that the parking lot will be fixed up, you do know that it will happen. The new wave pool will take away the current parking lot, loosing space and by doing that they may use the open field as the new hone to black top, and hopefully a new entrance!! I am so excited!!!!

WHOOPS! My dumb PC posted twice...but I have another comment I forgot in post #1...

Now, what I see in that rendering above that excites me the most- the waterpark has PLENTY of room to expand. Can we get a ProSlide Behemoth Bowl and Water Coaster in the future, please? ^_^

Did part of the renaming process Cedar Fair had to do in getting rid of Paramount/Viacom brands include the water park? Wasn't Boomerang Bay inspired by the Crocodile Dundee movies (which Paramount created)? I realize there aren't exactly direct links to the movies in the water park, just a thought.

Silver2005,

That's always who I thought of when I saw Boomerang Bay, Crocodile Dundee, and Men at Work, both of which are old shoes by now.

Avatar, the park may not revolve around Cap'n Crunch, but these new designs and features seem to revolve around ME ME ME.

This is exactly what I wanted changed. They must've been outside my car in the parking lot when I ranted.