New for 2012! Kings Island's Water Park Doubles in Size and Becomes Soak City!

The name Soak City does not bother me that much as names tend to change from time to time and other chain parks name their water attractions the same too ie Sea Worlds Aquatica.

Now what does concern me about the name Soak City is that it could cause confusion to guest in the gate or no gate charges . Say a family here in Indy goes to Kings Island a lot and also enjoy Kings Island Soak City for free, then later that summer go to Cedar Point Soak City assuming their Soak City is free as well. If the name is the same then the gate should be the same to avoid confusion.

(I'm designing a new park bag with a bike chain as the carry strap, to lock firmly onto a lounge chair- just in case there's no lockers.)

Great idea! Just make sure to have some sort of lock on the zipper too so that they don't just open it up and take your stuff out instead of taking the whole bag! :)

Did part of the renaming process Cedar Fair had to do in getting rid of Paramount/Viacom brands include the water park? Wasn't Boomerang Bay inspired by the Crocodile Dundee movies (which Paramount created)? I realize there aren't exactly direct links to the movies in the water park, just a thought.

When the Boomerang Bay re-theme first occured, it was called Crocodile Dundee's Boomerang Bay. Soon after CF bought the parks, they dropped the "Crocodile Dundee's" from the name. That was all that was really needed to de-Paramount BB. Well, that and taking out the Crocodile Dundee movie posters that were on the fence near the train.

Also your loosing the racing slides!

Huh? They're still on the artist rendering... :huh:

So, what's going to be new for 2013?

I had already told everyone!!! Action Zone renovation and a world breaking coaster!!! I will be right!!

I want you to know, I have saved what you have said above, and will post it as my signature when the new additions for 2013 are announced whether you were right or wrong. It will either be a joyous moment in which you can prove you were right, or a tremendous reminder of how wrong you were, but either way, PizzaBaby, it will happen.

Guest PizzaBaby027

I will tell the world, and goodyellowkorn182 you may copy my next statement...." 2013 will introduce a whole new Action Zone, renovation/remodel, a redesign possibly. The worlds tallest and fasted roller coaster will enslave Kings Island, somewhere? The torch shall finally be passed to Kings Island, welcome to the new (Amusement) World Order....Beware my dears!!!!!" Copy it just like that or not at all GoodYellowKorn182

Really CodyDL you know this how? Every time I have been to Soak City at Cedar Point I have not seen them up charge for anything other than and Cabana's.and all the tubes for all the rides and wave pool were free to use. The Beach across the street from Kings Island well they have a few free tubes but charge you if you want one of your own that is if someone else does not take it when you are not watching.

Guest rcfreak339

This is going to be a great renovation! I found that after Paramount left the whole Australian theme just seemed a bit tacky and too strange. The addition of the wave pool will definitely settle the crowds down and the entrance looks beautiful!

Great add Kings Island!

If you tell me to stop complaining, I won't, because THIS is worth complaining...

I can see why you would complain about 10 million dollars in park improvements. It makes me mad too when they invest in the parks.

<end sarcasm>

Plus, many major parks have two wave pools. I also think that you're going to be pleasantly surprised by the Action River. I did the one down at Aquatica a few months ago and it was a blast.

If it's at all like the Action River in Aquatica, I will be thrilled. We can spend hours in that one.

I like how the artist's rendering of the new entrance (http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/park/soakcity/2012/entrance.cfm) shows the ticket windows on the right hand side of the entrance, but doesn't have a sidewalk in front of them. I imagine it would be a little difficult to conduct business over that flower bed they show there! :lol:

Sorry, that's just the old Admissions geek in me coming out! B)

(I'm designing a new park bag with a bike chain as the carry strap, to lock firmly onto a lounge chair- just in case there's no lockers.)

Great idea! Just make sure to have some sort of lock on the zipper too so that they don't just open it up and take your stuff out instead of taking the whole bag! :)

Mind reader. I'm already stocking on those small little locks to close the flaps and zippers, tricking it so that one lock can cover all the extraneous openings. Call me paranoid.

Vortex brought up a point. More staffing- more job availability.

The Australian meme has run it's course, Even Outback Steakhouse is strange with it's odd speaking spokesman, who doesn't sound Australian at all, he sounds like my uncle three sheets to the wind.

I think that Kings Island needed an improvement on the water park side. That said, I do not live in the surrounding area and do not go to the water park. I did not go to Boomerang Bay at all. When I visit the park, it is to ride thrill rides/coasters. When I do attend parks, the trip is usually 1 to 2 days and the overcrowding at the slides is no fun at all. I hope this expansion helps in this area. The last water park I was at was the Geauga Lake water park(While it was still was an amusement park) The lines sucked and it took all the fun out of trying to cool off. GL did not have enough to do to keep me interested, so I hope Kings Island's expansion will help. I might give it another try, who knows???

I love the new expansion, but hate that you cant float down a relaxing lazy river. You can but you will get splashed by other guests and water falls... they should of built a new lazy river. My sister only goes on the lazy river, no slides just that because she hates being splashed because of her contacts.

• Like 2

I agree with you CodyDL on this issue. I would have preferred the older existing lazy river to stay as is. One of the down side of the older existing lazy river was some guest like to splash and race around the river which is OK for them but those who just want to just float had to deal with those who wanted a more adventures splash experience. It would have been nice to have both as the more active guest would choose the Adventure River while the others who just want a more relaxing experience would be able to do that more now. Have said that two things; first It seemed that the old lazy river at Cedar Point got very little use on my three visits there this year and the second, the lazy river at Boomerang Bay looked to me the last time I was there to look old and wearing down a bit. Maybe it needed an overhaul so they decided to just upgrade it using the budget they have to work with. That is just my guessing opinion.

Additionally to me it looks like the new back path to the river raft ride could be a great place to add additional slides in the future.

For what it's worth, the Action River at Geauga Lake (which would probably be comparable to the one at Kings Island based on what they say) is still very much a lazy river. You can just sit back and float. About halfway through the course is a tiny little wave generator that just keeps it cranked up a few degrees above "lazy," and at one point in the course there's a series of little tipping buckets you have to navigate (the red setup in the photo below).

img_4674.jpg

It's mostly just fake waterfalls along the side which (obviously) you can avoid.

4978.jpg

Otherwise, Geauga Lake's just has two buckets that can be dumped from above by folks on a bridge (which can be avoided by staying to the left)

img_4854.jpg

There are also two spots where a big "fart" bubbles up from under the water once a minute or so, and one area where a long line of arched fountains sprays out. You can go under them through the "tunnel" they create or around them.

Riptide-Run-e1280544946408.jpg

It's not like it's white water rapids. It's still a slow moving river, just with a few added effects and interactive elements.

If you don't want to get too wet, you don't get too wet. The only thing you have to consciously work to avoid is the little tipping buckets. Everything else has a very clear "dry" path, and it's still relaxing and slow.

I truly wish and hope for theme like the the pictures you posted GYK. Did Cedar Fair build that or was that attraction built from a previous owner. I think it would be wise for us to expect theme and a water attraction similar to Renegade River at Soak City Cedar Point. At Cedar Points Renegade River it has many of the water features as you mentioned above and has a decent current mixed in with simulated water swells to push floater around the river as well as water jets. Renegade River has some theme in places but expect Cedar Fair type theme to be at our new Action River.

4935721181_1a65a52f53_z.jpg

Note. the picture above does not show the areas of water cliffs and such so keep in mind those areas are mixed in while much more other areas are more open. The picture does not show the water swell motion very well either. Trust me though we went around several times during our visits and eemarked many times that we wished Kings Island would get one of these. So I am glad for this addition and look forward to the finished addition.

I'm a little bit late to the party, so allow me to throw in my two cents:

ASFDUHGAREUIGABAGHFUIBVABLGABOGANBAUGBANEBJHBJ.

^ That was my reaction to seeing the rendering of the new water park and the new path behind the former Jackeroo Lagoon. I've been waiting for a long time to see the water park become a nice loop rather than a bunch of dead ends.

But I'm still mad that they're "de-theming" to Soak City. Even though it wasn't the only Aussie-themed water park in the chain, at least it had more personality than what Soak City plans to be.

Also announced today was return of Halloween Haunt as well as the kid-friendly Howl-O-Fest. In addition to that there will be Trick-or-Treating with the Dinosaurs in the Dinosaurs Alive! attraction in 2011.

Everyone has been talking about the changes to the waterpark,but has anyone paid attention to this?The trick or treating is no longer free and is now a 5 dollar upcharge.There's bound to be plenty of disappointed families over this one.

Then I vote for Geauga Lakes version, fingers crossed.

Are we sure that the traditional children's Trick or Treat is not going to be there as in the past. Maybe the Dinosaur one is different, I did notice several times that I keep hearing the word "Family" in descriptions which to me is a tell tell sign of things to come such as when they kept promoting the word "Thrill" when Diamondback was announced and few years to follow.

I never go to Boomerang Bay, but I think this a great for the park! I think its a great way to spend 10 mil! WTG! I know a lot of people wanted this, well some focus being put on the water park. And I must admit, the action river looks like something I would love. I love Lazy Rivers, just not slides and stuff ^_^ I never went to BB in years past just to ride the lazy river because I have been on many of them, but the addition to it look fun and I might venture in next year! As for the themeing, I like the "bay" cause it fits better with "Island"...."city" and "Island" is just odd lol. But, to each their own! And it will be even better if they have to hire more people next year! Positive impact!