New for 2012! Kings Island's Water Park Doubles in Size and Becomes Soak City!

if a designated pathway will be added from the outside of the water park's entrance to the outside of the dry park's entrance. Despite the fact that Kings Island offers an in-park pathway and a train to go between the parks, guests still seem to continually treat the service road and parking lot as a massive pathway. Not the safest of ways to go from point A to point B...

There *is* a designated pathway! It's just that people don't read signs so they never notice it, then give people driving on that road dirty looks when they start beeping at them because they're walking in the middle of the road at .00002mph. There's actually white signs that say "PEDESTRIAN WALKWAY" that point to the other side of the curb and fence on that road.

This may be a strange question, but here goes: do you have to wear bathing suits in the water park, or can you go in clothing that doesn't have zippers, buttons, etc.? My particular religion doesn't allow bathing suits, so, my husband wears something like jogging pants, while my girls wea rsundresses, and I do the same, or wear a knee length cotton skirt with elastic waist.....we stayed at castaway bay a few years ago, and were asked to leave since our clothing was deemed unsafe. Very disappointing to spend the money to stay there, and not be able to use the facilities. we would love to try out the pools and lazy rivers (none of us like slides) but, we do not want to do the walk of shame...again. Anyone know the answer to this rather bizarre conundrum?

This may be a strange question, but here goes: do you have to wear bathing suits in the water park, or can you go in clothing that doesn't have zippers, buttons, etc.? My particular religion doesn't allow bathing suits, so, my husband wears something like jogging pants, while my girls wea rsundresses, and I do the same, or wear a knee length cotton skirt with elastic waist.....we stayed at castaway bay a few years ago, and were asked to leave since our clothing was deemed unsafe. Very disappointing to spend the money to stay there, and not be able to use the facilities. we would love to try out the pools and lazy rivers (none of us like slides) but, we do not want to do the walk of shame...again. Anyone know the answer to this rather bizarre conundrum?

Is there a dress code at Kings Island?

Shirts, shorts/pants and shoes must be worn at all times. Proper swimming attire for Boomerang Bay is defined as one or two-piece swim suits without abrasive buttons, rivets, zippers or snaps.

I don't usually visit the water park much, but I see this being a great asset for KI and will bring in new and returning guests. This will allow for a higher capacity of guests in the water park, and in turn help with queue lines on the dry side of the park. I am thinking in a few years we will see some new slides show up as well. From what I gather, the immediate need was more wave pool and lounging area. Very excited to see the changes!

Very glad to hear about the updates in the water park area. Name change is of no concern to our family. We are platinum pass holders and have visited Michigan's Adventure, Cedar Point and of course, our home park, KI this summer. We visited MA on a very hot day and went to the water park around 4-5 pm to cool off (like KI, no separate admission) It was so crowded we literally took a dip in the wave pool and left. I estimate 75% of the crowd was at the water park--5-10 minute waits for the coasters was good though.. I avoid the dry side of KI on very hot days and usually spend full days at BB, arriving early to grab seats under an umbrella. We like the tube river at CP better than the one at KI and are glad for the improvements. We've often wished KI's river was more like CPs. Our granddaughter also wished KI allowed tubes in the wave pool--her wish is granted. Economics will determine our renewal to gold pass or platinum. We would not want separate admission for future at KI Soak City if we go back to gold passes as our visits are probably 50-50 split between rides and water park.

Perhaps a compromise when it comes to the idea of making Soak City a separate ticket would be to drop the price of a regular season pass by about $10, raise the price of a Gold Pass by about $10 (creating a price gap of about $25–30 instead of $5–10), and simply include Soak City with Gold Passes but not regular passes. Knott's Berry Farm does it that way; they charge one price for a regular pass that only includes KBF and $25 more for a Gold Pass that includes KBF and all three area Soak Cities. That way, there would be a more reasonably-priced alternative to the Platinum Pass for people who want both the dry and wet parks but aren't interested in traveling to other parks.

The name Soak City does not bother me that much as names tend to change from time to time and other chain parks name their water attractions the same too ie Sea Worlds Aquatica.

Now what does concern me about the name Soak City is that it could cause confusion to guest in the gate or no gate charges . Say a family here in Indy goes to Kings Island a lot and also enjoy Kings Island Soak City for free, then later that summer go to Cedar Point Soak City assuming their Soak City is free as well. If the name is the same then the gate should be the same to avoid confusion.

Welll put I would have to agree with that.

While I'm looking forward to the changes, I'm not sure the "compare for yourself" page was necessary. Each of the three parks offers a different experience.

I am also a bit surprised that they're going to completely overhaul the lazy river for an "adventure river". I recall one day last summer when the Lazy River was so crowded that they were making you get out after one trip around because there was a long line of people waiting to get in a tube. The ride clearly is quite popular, especially with those who aren't necessarily fans of the more "thrilling" things in the water park.

Should be interesting to see how this all works out though.

I am also a bit surprised that they're going to completely overhaul the lazy river for an "adventure river". I recall one day last summer when the Lazy River was so crowded that they were making you get out after one trip around because there was a long line of people waiting to get in a tube. The ride clearly is quite popular, especially with those who aren't necessarily fans of the more "thrilling" things in the water park.

Should be interesting to see how this all works out though.

How busy was the wave pool at that time? Just think, with another wave pool the river may not be so crowded.

Everyone's complaining about this announcement and saying how it isn't a 40th anniversary worthy addition but here's my theory... Maybe, just MAYBE, Kings Island will announce a huge ride ON the 40th anniversary year and have it debut on the 41st year. The ride would technically be for the 40th but it wouldn't actually be finished until 2013. That's my theory. And although I'm sad to see the Aussie theme go, this might actually turn out ok.... maybe

What happened on the previous KI anniverssaries, for reference:

5th (1977): Screamin' Demon opens as the world's first launched shuttle loop coaster.

10th (1982): Timberwolf Ampitheatre opens, and The Racer begins its backwards operation that would last until 2007. Also added: Hanna-Barbera Land expansion, Ferris Wheel, Viking Fury, Winterfest, Festhaus, International Street renovation and new shows. (UPDATED, thanks TombRaiderTy)

15th (1987): Vortex opens as the world's first 6-inversion steel roller coaster.

20th (1992): Phantom Theatre opens, and Hanna-Barbera land gets a $3,500,000 overhaul.

25th (1997): Waterpark expansion. Wave pool added. Wait a second...

30th (2002): Tomb Raider: The Ride debuts.

35th (2007): Firehawk opens, relocated from Geauga Lake. Son of Beast re-opens without loop.

40th (2012): Waterpark expansion. Wave pool added. Deja Vu, anyone? :wacko:

Guest TombraiderTy

if a designated pathway will be added from the outside of the water park's entrance to the outside of the dry park's entrance. Despite the fact that Kings Island offers an in-park pathway and a train to go between the parks, guests still seem to continually treat the service road and parking lot as a massive pathway. Not the safest of ways to go from point A to point B...

There *is* a designated pathway! It's just that people don't read signs so they never notice it, then give people driving on that road dirty looks when they start beeping at them because they're walking in the middle of the road at .00002mph. There's actually white signs that say "PEDESTRIAN WALKWAY" that point to the other side of the curb and fence on that road.

Ah, right. I forgot about that... must be because, as you said, nobody uses it.

I wonder though, if they made it more defined and "nicer", as the strip in front of the new water park entrance appears to be in the concept art, if guests would take note of it? Or if they separated it from the parking lot more and had it near the road that guests already use?

What happened on the previous KI anniverssaries, for reference:

10th (1982): Timberwolf Ampitheatre opens, and The Racer begins its backwards operation that would last until 2007.

Alongside Hanna-Barbera Land expansion, Ferris Wheel, Viking Fury, Winterfest, Festhaus, International Street renovation and new shows :P

...by the way, I call dibs on the Jackeroo riding the surfboard atop Jackeroo Landing. :P

EDIT @ 2:30 AM: Okay, I actually found a reason to be legitimately upset with the expansion, and it's more with how they're marketing it.

On the Compare For Yourself page for Soak City, one of the bullet points listed is for roller coasters. Seriously? You're using roller coasters as justification to say your WATER PARK is better than the others? I hate how the Marketing Dept. does the same thing with the Haunt (implying that you shouldn't go to other haunted houses because THEY don't have a roller coaster in their parking lot) and it's a cheap shot putting down other local attractions because they somehow don't match up to whatever level the park has (in terms of Haunt, KI is at a very low level when it comes to their mazes compared to others :P).

Aside from that gripe, totally fine with Soak City.

Everyone's complaining about this announcement and saying how it isn't a 40th anniversary worthy addition but here's my theory... Maybe, just MAYBE, Kings Island will announce a huge ride ON the 40th anniversary year and have it debut on the 41st year. The ride would technically be for the 40th but it wouldn't actually be finished until 2013. That's my theory. And although I'm sad to see the Aussie theme go, this might actually turn out ok.... maybe

That's exactly what CW did this year. Leviathan was announced this year.....which 2011 marks CW's 30th anniversary. That being said, I am also optimistic that the same thing might happen to us. We get a waterpark expansion this year, and maybe next year, another major attraction will be announced..

That's exactly what CW did this year. Leviathan was announced this year.....which 2011 marks CW's 30th anniversary. That being said, I am also optimistic that the same thing might happen to us. We get a waterpark expansion this year, and maybe next year, another major attraction will be announced..

It seems to me that Kings Island likes to copy Canada's Wonderland's new rides a year after they get them... They got Behemoth, we got Diamondback. Both are almost identical, except ours has a cooler ending, the splashdown. I'm gonna place my bet on a new ride for Kings Island announced next year very close in resemblance to Leviathan but with something better... a splashdown? Nah! Lets change it up! Maybe water/fire effects over a pond of some sort or some tunnels. The only big coaster with tunnels is that big ol' Beast lurkin in the woods! Hopefully this one will be located in a wooded area! I bet we'll see CW Deja-vu next year... fingers crossed :)

Two things:

From conference calls, it is clear new ride decisions at Cedar Fair come from Sandusky, not individual parks. At Six Flags, it's the other way around. There, corporate sets budgets and park management makes local decisions as to what the parks need.

Second, the they at Cedar Fair is changing dramatically. Who makes capital investment decisions in the future and how may change dramatically in the future.

From conference calls, it is clear new ride decisions at Cedar Fair come from Sandusky, not individual parks. At Six Flags, it's the other way around. There, corporate sets budgets and park management makes local decisions as to what the parks need.

Not trying to argue with you, but if Six flags local parks are making the decisions, then what is with this years ride rotations? I would think that would be directed by corporate.

All the times I've been to the Boomerang Bay soon to be Soak City, it's never been busy. So I've yet to experience a full wave pool, or huge lines for slides and I've also never had problems with finding a spot to sit at. But still I think this is a nice move on Kings Island's part. Also, I went to check BB's hours on Kings Island's website and it came up with some directory error. I don't know if it's just my browser, or if it's like that for everyone.

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/visit/hours/boomerang_bay_hours.cfm

I truly wish and hope for theme like the the pictures you posted GYK. Did Cedar Fair build that or was that attraction built from a previous owner. I think it would be wise for us to expect theme and a water attraction similar to Renegade River at Soak City Cedar Point. At Cedar Points Renegade River it has many of the water features as you mentioned above and has a decent current mixed in with simulated water swells to push floater around the river as well as water jets. Renegade River has some theme in places but expect Cedar Fair type theme to be at our new Action River.

4935721181_1a65a52f53_z.jpg

Note. the picture above does not show the areas of water cliffs and such so keep in mind those areas are mixed in while much more other areas are more open. The picture does not show the water swell motion very well either. Trust me though we went around several times during our visits and eemarked many times that we wished Kings Island would get one of these. So I am glad for this addition and look forward to the finished addition.

In all fairness, Magnum is enough theming for me :lol: Personally, if it were one or the other I would say build crazy coasters and drop costs waisted on theming. CP is what it is. GP wanted bigger and faster roller coasters so CF built em. Now everyone wants more theming (and park improvements) and CF is responding.

On a side note Jessee, I don't think I've seen your this year. I keep missing events for... well good reasons :wacko:

Terpy, I'm still reading comments, like the later you posted, as a good thing. I also think were in the coaster wars again... BIG SMILEY.