New for 2012! Kings Island's Water Park Doubles in Size and Becomes Soak City!

Several thoughts about posts so far in this thread.

I could not be more pleased to see this community’s reaction to King Island closed to the public announcement for what is to come in 2012 (I wonder why they did that on a Friday before a holiday weekend and closed it to their park fans. Hmm…) I think most members are pleased to see the water park get some attention and as disappointed as some may be about not getting a new slide or an attraction on the dry side they understand that the water park was in great need. The very few negative comments I have seen thus far have been about the name switch (which I will ramble on about later in this post) and the fact they did not go further with a new slide/coaster addition as well, but usually follow with they understand. I guess what I am saying kudos to the KICentral members for having a great discussion about this versus all the hate and non-understanding posters on Facebook. I think KICentral deserves more credit than they have been given in the recent past as to be known as a hateful Kings Island site. So thanks KICentral members for telling it like it is, sometimes we like it sometimes we understand it sometimes we do not like it but make no mistake you tell it like it is. Albeit some go too far in their feelings or post about it several times in a variety of ways saying the same thing (haven’t we all at some point in time ) but not this time.

Next I understand the comparison chart as a marketing tool as it seems many places make their own and depending on who is behind it they will come out to their favor. I mean The Beach could produce one talking about movie nights, live bands, hot tubs, swimming lessons, sand for kids to play in…etc. The thing is we all need to do our own comparison chart to see what is important to our own family’s desires. As my family the price is important but even if a place was free and we did not enjoy the experience we will go a lot less if at all until things changed.

Just my opinion here and runs counter to everything I have ever heard. I find the name change and a new ticket window as hints to me that that a possible separate gate may be in the future cards for Kings Island Water Park. Since my earlier post about that subject and looking further to other Cedar Fair parks that use the name Soak City (which all are separate gates) I am leaning toward that at some point Kings Island Water Park will split from them and become a separate gate. So now have said that would that help keep future water attractions going into Soak City more regularly and more often?. I mean if they are a separate gate would they not have their own budget for their own use. I remember back during the KIC Winter Blues event for Diamondback I asked the water park manager if they would be expanding and that I thought they were long overdue at that time. His response was along the lines of they agree and would like to expand but as part of Kings Island other areas of the park has greater needs and they support those other areas needs before theirs. I do not know how they budget now for departments or even if they become a standalone park if they would get a separate but dedicated budget for their own use. Like I said I have nothing to back anything up here but find it interesting to think about. What do you all think?

As for my family and I we are super excited to see Soak City coming to Kings Island in an expanded form and hopeful for what the possibilities are for Soak City Kings Island. I can safely say we are looking forward to visiting Soak City next year and experiencing what it has to offer in hopes it offers us a more relaxing experience than the ones we have started to shy away form as in the past due to overcrowding, music, shade and seating issues not to mention the free flow of fully dressed dry park goers milling around the water park for their own purpose. Funny story I told the family a couple years ago when the wave pool got really crowded and it seems the waves had a hard time getting through the large crowd in the wave pool. I told them that if anyone else gets into that wave pool then the Life Guards are going to need organize a stadium style human wave with everyone raising their hands in the air to legitimately be able to call it a Wave Pool!!!

So with all sincerity I applauded the discussion in putting valuable capital resources into the new Kings Island Soak City Water Park, this decision will get my family back into the water park.

Actually Cedar Point Soak City is suppose to be getting a new multi-lane mat race slide in 2012. Similar to the one that is not on the concepts drawling to Kings Island Soak City any more. Hey wait a minute.....

I know Cedar Point Soak City seems to have low crowd sizes but I do not believe that will be the case ate Kings Island

Actually Cedar Point Soak City is suppose to be getting a new multi-lane mat race slide in 2012. Similar to the one that is not on the concepts drawling to Kings Island Soak City any more. Hey wait a minute.....

It is on the concept drawing; it's just difficult to see because you're looking almost straight at the back of the tower. Also note that the "Compare for Yourself" page has a photo of it at the top and lists one 4-person racing slide in the table.

EDIT: coaster_junky beat me. And no, there was only one.

My bad the racing slides that are at KI now are still there in the concept art drawling. I think where I confused is it looks like the gate has been moved over to the right a bit from where it currently is. I need to download that map and blow it up before i goof like that again

I think as a fan of Kings Island that this is a great addition. It will help with capacity issues at the water park and offer a few new experiences that families can enjoy together. I have not been to the water park at KI in more than a decade but this may very well be what gets me back there next year. The not-so-lazy-river looks very fun and tubes in a wave pool sounds like a great time. I want KI to be a well rounded park and I think these last few years of additions/upgrades has gone a long way in making sure that it is a place that has something for everybody.

Think about it, if you are a thrill seeker we have a park that offers rides like Diamondback, Beast, Drop Tower, Firehawk, and Delirium among others. If you are someone who prefers a little bit less in the way of intensity you can spend the day on Adventure Express, Racer, WindSeeker (depending on how you feel about how this ride should be classified). If you don't like roller coasters or high thrills at all you can take a few spins on Boo Blasters, or ride the Scrambler, Monster, or Carousel. We have three water rides highlighted by a great rapids ride and an award winning kids area. Even if you don't like rides at all there is a great selection of shows to enjoy. In my (nowhere near expert) opinion I believe that a pattern of additions that looks like what we have gotten from 2009 on does a lot more for the long term future of the park then adding 3 new coasters over that time would have done.

Personally I expect that that may be a theme moving forward: additions that are family friendly. Families are where the money is and the new CEO comes from a company that has more or less perfected the family theme park experience. While I have no experience in the industry and no inside knowledge to this effect, but I think we will see most CF parks focusing more on family oriented additions with far less frequent 'high thrill' rides being added. The exception to that rule may be Cedar Point which has long marketed itself as a thrill seekers paradise. To me there is more then enough to at Kings Island to keep my thrill seeking side happy for a season. Would I love to have an El Toro or Afterburn? Of course. But to me the long term viability of a park I truly love to visit is far more important then having the biggest or best coaster collection.

• Like 1

Tthat is the Snowy River Rampage your are seeing. It is clear that there are no plans for a new slide for 2012. I did notice once I blew up a picture of the area that it looks like the entry to the new Action River could be located on the new pathway.

If they give the new Soak City the same treatment as they have done with the area around Diamondback, Planet Snoopy and Coney Mall then we have much to look forward to in the transformation.

I like how they're removing parking and the remaining section of old Columbia Rd to add a duplicate of an attraction that the park already has. Maybe they could add a second WindSeeker and DA, too! Seems like a lot of land to wreck when they could have just added some slides (which would probably be better received than a duplicate attraction) and left the rest of the area alone.

I'm fine with this as long as they don't charge extra like at CP's Soak City. The only thing I'm not going to like getting used to another attraction/area name. :lol: Ex. Hanna-Barbera Land, Nickelodeon Universe, Planet Snoopy, Backlot Stuntcoaster, Drop Tower, Invertigo, BOO Blasters on BOO Hill, Flight Deck, Flight of Fear The Crypt, WaterWorks, Crocodile Dundee's Boomerang Bay, Boomerang Bay, and now what do we have... SOAK 'bleepin' CITY!

I like how they're removing parking and the remaining section of old Columbia Rd to add a duplicate of an attraction that the park already has. Maybe they could add a second WindSeeker and DA, too! Seems like a lot of land to wreck when they could have just added some slides (which would probably be better received than a duplicate attraction) and left the rest of the area alone.

I believe the very small section of the parking lot they are removing is actually used for the Metro Park and Ride.

Also I worked in the Bay on Saturday and trust me they are in desperate need of another wave pool. It is quite unbelievable how many people cram into that wave pool.

Two of the same attractions is not uncommon, Racer, Gemini, Dumbo at Magic Kingdom just to name a few.

No, the section of the parking lot they're removing is the entire current employee entrance area and part of the Boomerang Bay parking lot. Look at where the orange cones are in the current parking lot, it's obvious where it's going. And it's not "very small". The park and ride is on the Brant Connector at the other end of the parking lot from the waterpark.

They should take the wave pool money and spend it on fixing the parking lot instead of tearing it up more.

Why would they want to announce a paving of the parking lot? The general public is not going to get excited about a new parking lot. They want new rides/attractions, a reason to come visit again this year. Our parking lot is better than the Scotland and Germany lots at BGW. And it is much much better than Kings Dominion where you basically drive on a gravel road to exit the park.