New for 2012! Kings Island's Water Park Doubles in Size and Becomes Soak City!

The parking lot is something people complain about a lot, so if they were going to improve it, they would have mentioned that. And actually, they did mention the parking lot. "Plenty of parking spaces available" (which I think is a reference to them tearing up a bunch of existing parking for the duplicate wave pool)

They are not duplicating the wave pool. Its going to be a different kind of wave pool then the one we have now. And by looking at the concept drawlings, it looks like little if any of the parking lot will be where the wave pool is. Going by where the entrance is the wave pool would be in the grassy area, with maybe a slight corner off of the lot. And as for the cones you mentioned, ever thought these might be for the redesigned entrance.. that definitely goes out into the parking lot in the form of a walk way?

• Like 1

The parking lot is something people complain about a lot, so if they were going to improve it, they would have mentioned that. And actually, they did mention the parking lot. "Plenty of parking spaces available" (which I think is a reference to them tearing up a bunch of existing parking for the duplicate wave pool)

I have driven by these cones there are maybe 5-8 cones sitting on concrete, the rest are in the field.

So by them removing parking spots they are making parking available? Your logic there is confusing. If the park says that there will be plenty of parking available, why would they not make sure of that and chance a lawsuit or someone in the press calling them out on their lie?

Guest TombraiderTy

CedarPointer, have you ever even been to the water park during the summer? It's packed with guests and it is extremely difficult to find a chair at times. The wave pool itself is typically overflowing with swimmers as well. A new wave-pool, something you're simply dismissing as a simple duplicate attraction, may not be the most exciting addition, but it will definitely be helpful.

Are they planning on removing/moving the giant electrical tower that lies in the middle of the water park? Because it looks as if the new path connecting Snowy River Rampage to Kookaburra Bay goes right through its spot.

Also, they have that huge grassy area to add more parking spaces; that used to be the OVER overflow parking back in the 90s when the park got really REALLY crowded.

Finally, I think I mentioned this before but it got lost in the wave pool, the re-theme to Boomerang Bay cost $4 million. The expansion into Soak City is $10 million. So expect to see more than just repainting and renaming attractions. I'd hope to say that most every building in the water park will be getting upgrades of some kind.

Several thoughts about posts so far in this thread.

Albeit some go too far in their feelings or post about it several times in a variety of ways saying the same thing (haven’t we all at some point in time ) but not this time.

Sometimes things are added on to make the word count needed to complete the post, thus the repetition.

I, for one, hope KI never splits the dry park and the water park into 2 separate tickets. Can you imagine how busy this would make the dry park? I'd imagine instead of paying an extra $ to visit the water park, more people would stay in the dry park and cool off by riding the water rides, i.e. Congo Falls, WWC, etc. I know I would.

I've always loved how small the crowds are in the dry park in the middle of a hot afternoon.

I think the Waterpark will remain free because it always has been apart of the admission fee. Lots of locals would be upset if that was no longer the case.

I was hoping it stays free ,but why are they building a new gate and selling tickets at the new gate? Something is going on and hope I am wrong.

i'm pretty sure don has said that for the 2012 season Soak City will be included in park admission, but whose to say about 2013 or later? i wonder if it becomes a separate ticket if gold passes will still get you in, or if you'll have to upgrade to a platinum pass in order to use the wet park.

Are they planning on removing/moving the giant electrical tower that lies in the middle of the water park? Because it looks as if the new path connecting Snowy River Rampage to Kookaburra Bay goes right through its spot.

Also, they have that huge grassy area to add more parking spaces; that used to be the OVER overflow parking back in the 90s when the park got really REALLY crowded.

Finally, I think I mentioned this before but it got lost in the wave pool, the re-theme to Boomerang Bay cost $4 million. The expansion into Soak City is $10 million. So expect to see more than just repainting and renaming attractions. I'd hope to say that most every building in the water park will be getting upgrades of some kind.

I've parked in the grassy field before... Freedom Concert. Never again.

As far as Soak City being included with Kings Island admission, Yes Kings Island representatives including Don Helbig have went out of their way and accentuated the fact to the press and to KICentral media director BoddaH1994 that Soak City is part of the admission price for Kings Island to include 2012. Further more every conversation I have had with park representatives they are proud of the fact that they offer both parks for one low price and and are not considering or want to consider it otherwise. So no one should be concerned about a separate gate charge for Soak City next year. I have even heard that if they would have considered anything like that then they would have did that for next year which they say "we are proud to offer one low price for admission to both parks";

... And high price for everything else once you're inside! Haha.

But personally, I think that if Soak City doesn't become an upcharge this year, it won't become an upcharge in the near future. The name change and re-marketing laid the right groundwork to say, "Our water park is new and improved, and thus we must charge a modest fee to keep it in pristine condition and to ensure that it can be enjoyed by those who visit without overcrowding." In my opinion, it would take another name change and marketed overhaul to justify a price increase in the future.

If the artists conception of the expansion is 100% realistic, then I'm pretty sure this is just the first phase in a bigger plan to upgrade it. If you compare it to Google Earth imagery, they're adding a second wide path back to that slide way back in the woods, and it seems redundant unless they intend the water park further back into that direction.

It makes sense for them to add the wave pool and redesign the parking lot and the dedicated entrance, which will be a significant investment. Then in a couple years they can add more attractions as everything else will be all set: it will just be a matter of building the paths to the new slides, and building the actual ride.

If the rendering is accurate, and they do move the employee entrance road to continue in the direction that it shows in the rendering, it will free up a huge amount of land for the water park to expand to; not to mention all the land going back toward Diamondback.

I would think that if they want to make it a separate gate, there would have to be some kind of accomodations added to make that more viable. Glad to see the waterpark getting some upgrades and additions. My last trip to Geauga Lake when the rides were still there included a day at the waterpark. I hadn't had so much fun in years. I had truly forgotten just how much fun they can be.

What exactly is an action river? I'm still confused about it.

At Cedar Point they have the Renegade River. It is basically a lazy river, you go past waterfalls, go under sections that have rows of small buckets that dump water on you. Toward the end of the lazy river you come around a bend and this section is a wave pool built into the river. You float through about 1 foot waves, go under water spouts etc. Nice addition to the lazy river, glad they are doing it down here. I just hope they operate it like Cedar Points river and let you stay in as long as you want and not make you exit after 1 loop.

Blah - you're all being to negative here I think. I think it's good to see another area of the park getting redone and refurbished. Plus, this will be extremely marketable since one of the main bits of competition is Holiday World, which exploits their waterpark (and its size) in just about every advertisement. I think this will be good for the park. After this, Action Zone is all that waits for a good refurbishment. Then Cedar Fair will have completely changed the park for the better in my eyes.

• Like 2