Kings Island fibbing know-it-alls

Shaggy

So I had the good fortune to be able to attend KI recently... my first and only visit to the park this year. I enjoyed WindSeeker, but did find it a bit "disorienting" at night. It's a fun install.

Now on to the subject of this thread.

I pride myself on all things factual... especially Kings Island. And I can't help but be irritated when I hear people "embellishing" or "fibbing" about things only to make themselves seem "experts" on a subject.

Case in point... While on WindSeeker, as we were waiting for the ride to lower to the ground, a few seats ahead of me was what I will term a "Kings Island fibbing know-it-all."

I listened as he loudly explained to his friends that WindSeeker was originally going to raise to the top, twirl, then the ride carriage would drop several feet, raise again then drop all the way. (As best I could understand him to say.) He said "All the parks that got one were supposed to do this, but they couldn't get it to work so it just raises and lowers."

Now maybe I missed something, and that was the original intent (although I find it as far fetched as just about any rumor I've ever heard.) But for some odd reason, I have had a hard time letting it go. There's no way I would have corrected him, but I sure wanted to!

Does this ever happen to you? Grrrrrrr....

• Like 2

So I had the good fortune to be able to attend KI recently... my first and only visit to the park this year. I enjoyed WindSeeker, but did find it a bit "disorienting" at night. It's a fun install.

Now on to the subject of this thread.

I pride myself on all things factual... especially Kings Island. And I can't help but be irritated when I hear people "embellishing" or "fibbing" about things only to make themselves seem "experts" on a subject.

Case in point... While on WindSeeker, as we were waiting for the ride to lower to the ground, a few seats ahead of me was what I will term a "Kings Island fibbing know-it-all."

I listened as he loudly explained to his friends that WindSeeker was originally going to raise to the top, twirl, then the ride carriage would drop several feet, raise again then drop all the way. (As best I could understand him to say.) He said "All the parks that got one were supposed to do this, but they couldn't get it to work so it just raises and lowers."

Now maybe I missed something, and that was the original intent (although I find it as far fetched as just about any rumor I've ever heard.) But for some odd reason, I have had a hard time letting it go. There's no way I would have corrected him, but I sure wanted to!

Does this ever happen to you? Grrrrrrr....

As I worked in Action(less) Zone the other night a guy told me that the reason SoB is down is because 27 people died on it when they fell out, due to the train getting stuck upside, and it has not run since.

You're not alone, Shaggy. I can think of a few people like this. I just listen and bite my tongue because if you try to correct them they'll just argue that they know people and this is what they told them (and a lot of times I personally know the people that supposedly told them, and find it hard to believe that they would say something like that).

For a supreme collection of such know-it-all folks, read the park's Facebook page.

I posted once on their Facebook, the day before the announcement of Soak City, because one particular fellow was absolutely POSITIVE we were getting a re-made Son of Beast and a new, 300 foot coaster. I explained that it was very unlikely if not impossible since no construction was visible, and he said, something to the extent of 'Screw you. You offended me. So seriously, screw you.' I'm not kidding. I haven't posted since.

One of many reasons I wonder why Kings Island doesn't make their wall private like all Six Flags parks have. As it is, the park's Facebook page posts nothing but complainers and people who answer others questions incorrectly. It's a mess.

• Like 1

Funny you should mention it... Just yesterday I read a thread on KI's Facebook page for the first time. It asked a question like "7 original rides from Cincinnati's Coney Island still operate at KI, can you name them?" Well, I started reading answers/guesses and was flabbergasted at the false responses, inaccuracies and arguments that were arising!

I didn't reply - again, not worth it. ;-)

that's correct, Kings Island never said anything about the ride carriage on WindSeeker dropping during the ride. the only thing that would have had 'drop' mentioned would be when they compared the height, not the ride experience, to Drop Tower, along with the Eiffel Tower.

edit: i guess i should specify that i was referring to teenageninja's post as being 'correct.'

Edited by coaster_junky

Guest TombraiderTy

well when the WindSeeker came out for the first time on the website it did say something about dropping, so you cant really blame him

No, when WindSeeker was announced, the website compared its height to that of Drop Tower, which does indeed drop. Kings Island never said or suggested that WindSeeker would drop. People only think that because they failed at reading thoroughly and believed others who also failed at reading thoroughly.

Edit - coaster_junky pretty much beat me to it, but same deal.

• Like 1

I'm absolutely 100% sure that's false. :rolleyes:

The confusion probably arises because, again, the "very knowledgable, respectful young people" on Facebook confuse eachother back and forth and answer each-other's questions with their own guesses and lies. I recall someone asking, "Will WindSeeker drop like Drop Zone?" and a peer replying, "Well, it will drop, but not very fast. It'll drop when it lowers back to the ground." Technically, okay. Poor word choice, but yes the ride does lower to the ground. But it's back-and-forth, poorly worded, straight-up-wrong answers like that that de-escalated the page into confusion, worthless information, and 13 year olds who just learned out to swear and think they're awesome.

Anyway, imagine... Swings that are all jutted out at a 45 degree angle from the speed at which they're spinning. If the ride dropped, even a few feet, what would happen to those swings that are being spun out from the central structure? Think about it, friends.

For a supreme collection of such know-it-all folks, read the park's Facebook page.

I posted once on their Facebook, the day before the announcement of Soak City, because one particular fellow was absolutely POSITIVE we were getting a re-made Son of Beast and a new, 300 foot coaster. I explained that it was very unlikely if not impossible since no construction was visible, and he said, something to the extent of 'Screw you. You offended me. So seriously, screw you.' I'm not kidding. I haven't posted since.

One of many reasons I wonder why Kings Island doesn't make their wall private like all Six Flags parks have. As it is, the park's Facebook page posts nothing but complainers and people who answer others questions incorrectly. It's a mess.

At least one poster here knows that guy and would like to apologize in his stead...

Funny you should mention it... Just yesterday I read a thread on KI's Facebook page for the first time. It asked a question like "7 original rides from Cincinnati's Coney Island still operate at KI, can you name them?" Well, I started reading answers/guesses and was flabbergasted at the false responses, inaccuracies and arguments that were arising!

Didn't you love how many people answered The Eifel Tower?

Didn't you love how many people answered The Eifel Tower?

I was surprised how many people said The Beast or Vortex.

I dont know how many times over the years ive heard people in line talk about how someone died on drop zone, when they are actually in line for it themselves.

I makes me a little irrated when people say a girl got her feet cut off while riding Drop Tower. Really. Then you argue with them and they act like you're an idiot. As Shaggy said... Grrrrr