Paramount Magic of the Movies

coasterrz

I was up at the park today. First, it was a beautiful day to be at PKI, with the sun out, and extremely light crowds in the park. I had a one cycle wait for Drop Zone when I arrived at 3. Anyway, after that I wanted to check out the new Paramount Magic of the Movies show in the renovated Paramount Theater. The new movie theater style seats in the theater are about the only high point of this new show. The two main characters in the show, tried too hard to be funny. There were jokes like the guy`s name being "Ben Dover" that were not funny. The audience participation only involves seven people. The first five participate in making sound effects for Sleepy Hollow. Then, after a break to change sets, in which they conviently showed a preview for the upcoming release of Spongebob Squarepants the Movie, they had the remaining two volunteers from the audience go on stage and do a scene from Titantic, using a green screen. The last part, and best part IMO, occured at the end, when they were transported (via the green screen) to the depths of the ocean to the home of Spongebob. There were bubbles blowing in the theater, but unfortunately, Spongebob is never seen at the climax of the show.

All in all, I was dissapointed with this show. I thought that this show had the potential to be excellent. However, this show seemed to be more of an advertisement for Paramount movies than it did a show at PKI. Based on the show I saw today, I will not be watching another Paramount Magic of the Movies show in the Paramount Theater this season. I hope next season they introduce a truly good show in the theater since they spent more than a $1 million renovating it. Additionally, I would rather have seen another magic show in the theater or even the return of graveyard shift. At least in those shows, everyone clapped and was intrigued by the show. I wouldn`t reccommend spending a half an hour to watch this "show."

I have to agree with you CoasterRZ. I went to check out the show today, since I got the night off of work and disappointed in it. It did seem more like advertisement for paramount rather then a show for the guest. The trivia before the show made me feel like I was in every theater in the country. The actual show was ok, but not up to what it needs to be to be the major show in the park. Theater now is nice and looks to be able to put on a very good magic of the movies show, but this one is worth seeing one time and one time only. Unfortunately I have a feeling that we will be seeing magic of the movie for the next couple of years, I doubt Paramount will want to spend money on a new show each year.

I can agree with everyone about what you have been saying. But just like the rest of us employees the actors havent had a whole lot of time to work the kinks out of their show. I dont think it will ever be "awesome" but it will be much better probably when the season starts in June....Just give em' some time. The Jokes in the show were funny, just not timed correctly....

Tiny

I thought it was alright, not very funny, but alright. The guy who recruited the audience members did his job pretty well, the theater looks great, and it had a nice looking set. I thought their trivia was sort of funny, and it was atleast better than your run of the mill movie trivia. The spongebob part didn't really impress me that much, though I liked the name of Titanic 2, Still Cruising. Hopefully, in the coming seasons, they can have some really good special FX other than bubbles, sounds, and green screens. As for the show being bad, well, the last show I seen before this one was the Tomb Raider Stunt Show, so this was like watching Chicago. Infact, I'd go as far to say that the Tomb Raider Stunt Show is the worst show I've ever seen. No offense to anyone who got enjoyment out of TR, good for you if you did, but I didn't.

I have to admit that the combination of cast members is what makes-or-breaks this show. I have seen all the combinations of the hosts....and there are definatly some that are stronger than others. Just for a little background on the show that no-one else would no........The actors just started to rehearse the show about 2 weeks ago....since the original version of the show they have seen re-write after re-write, where lines where completely changed, script redone, and the sequence re-order (The original version was Titanic/preview/Sleepy Hollow).....including 2 different versions of the show in the 2 days preceeding its opening this past Friday. I would expect there to be a few more changes made to the show, and would still call it sort of a work-in-progress. I personally know that the entertainment department is not totally satisfied with the show as it is right now....and would expect to see some changes (But not in the sections....those will stay the same i.e. Sleepy Hollow/preview/Titanic....but possible a different order)

I thought the show was ok. I did get a good laugh out of some parts. I wont talk about actual details of the show as not to spoil it for others. I will be posting pictures as well as a very long trip report from easter sunday when I get home from work.

You all have a great day!

Bill

I thought the audience members were funnier than the actors:

Actor: "What's the last movie you saw?"

Audience Member: "I don't know."

Actor: "Well, if you could go see any movie out right now, what would you go see?"

Audience Member: "I don't know, I'm not a movie person."

• 4 weeks later...
IMO, it is the worst show they have had in the Paramount Theater in the past four years!

I agree completely. I was hoping for something with a little higher quality, something with more of a "wow" factor.

There is so much more they could do with a show like that.

I don`t recall a laser show in the Paramount Theater. However, I seem to remember a Laser Light show on International Street. It might have been a special thing they had for Winterfest or something. I know it was a long time ago that they had the laser show.

The lazer show in Paramount Theater is going back to the beginnings of the Paramount days. I believe that one year they had a mission impossible theme...which if I'm not mistaken is the one you were talking about. If I remeber correctly they used to have the lazer show at night while the had the ice skating show during the day. Does anyone remeber to old 3-D movies that they used to have in Paramount Theater a long time ago?? I think it was actually during Winterfest...it was like the last thing we would do at night before leaving the park. I remember that their was always a big sponsership by Lenscrafters who made the glasses.

Also for a little inside information.....the CEO of Paramount parks Al Webber Jr. was at the park a few weekends ago and he went to all the shows as well was all over the park. It seems that he agrees with everyone else and is not too happy with the current state of the show. I do know that the company who produced the show was in Canada right after they left here trying to get their show up.....then they were supposedly going to write a different show for Kings Dominon. Now we have yet to hear if we are going to get this new show half way through the season (if it is any better), or if they are going to trade shows for next year (The latter is my guess). But all in all I know that the CEO of PP, the GM of PKI, and all of the Entertainment staff is not too pleased with the outcome of this show.....so I have a feeling that we are going to see some changes being made. I really do think that the show is a good idea and has potential, I just think the execution of the show is poor.

I think during Winterfest they had some sort of live holiday show in the Paramount Theater. I don`t recall a 3D movie in the Paramount Theater. I do recall seeing a movie in what is now the laser tag building across from The Vortex.

Yes they did have a live holiday show in the Paramount Theater....and a d@mn good one at that, they also had a great show in the Festhaus. The movie you remeber seeing was the old Cinema 180* movies in the building that now houses lazer tag. Those movies were always really fun to watch....it just sucked that you had to sit on the floor.

But I do remember a 3-D type of movie in the Paramount theater....I just wish I could remeber when they had it and what the theme of it was.

I think during Winterfest they had some sort of live holiday show in the Paramount Theater.  I don`t recall a 3D movie in the Paramount Theater.  I do recall seeing a movie in what is now the laser tag building across from The Vortex.

Yes they did have a live holiday show in the Paramount Theater....and a d@mn good one at that, they also had a great show in the Festhaus. The movie you remeber seeing was the old Cinema 180* movies in the building that now houses lazer tag. Those movies were always really fun to watch....it just sucked that you had to sit on the floor.

But I do remember a 3-D type of movie in the Paramount theater....I just wish I could remeber when they had it and what the theme of it was.

yeah, I remember the show. I was about seven when I saw it, and since I was little, I didn't mind sitting on the floor(at least it was carpeted!). Nobody in my family liked that movie, mainly because when we saw it it was crackly, and all you did was see a view from different seats on different rides at pki. Some of which included The Beast.