Eiffel Tower

drewbari

I think it would be a great idea... but it would have to be Lexan or something similar to that. In fact, it may be safer than the steel mesh that is currently up there. Plastics do not corrode like metal, even if it is painted or stainless. Also, plastics don't conduct electricity!!! That doesn’t sound valuable now, but wait until a storm starts blowing in and you cant get down quick enough because the elevator is too small. unsure.gif

I think it would be cool. Off topic but I was wondering if anyone has been to paris before to see the real Eiffel Tower. I got to go this past week and i must say, before I went I never would have believed that KI's was 1/3 but after seein the real thin, WOW. Its HUGE, you could seriously fit two football fields side by side underneith it. The first floor of the real thing is like as tall as the top of KI's. Yea, I was totally in awe!

I heard that the PKI Eiffel Tower could fit underneath the real Eiffel Tower. I also heard that on extremely windy days, you are not allowed on the Eiffel Tower in Paris because it sways too much. Glass elevator is definitely feasible and would add a little excitement to the ride.

Just so you know:

In the origonal FearFest, with the house on top of Tower they wanted to put some plexiglass on the floor, but it was deemed too scary (if anyone remembers this house it was the 18+ only house. This was a rumor I heard, dont know how true it is)

When a storm does blow up, PKI evacs the ride when the lightening is about 15-20 miles away. Someone who works on Tower could give you a better number, but thats what I know.

When I worked on Tower in 2000, we would close the tower anytime we visually saw lighting. We were never called or anything and told, it was just when the person working the platform saw the lighting, that was when we would shut it down. I don't know if that has changed in the last three seasons.

Seriously I dont doubt that the KI Effile Tower Could fit under the real thing and yea its freaky to see it sway. Does anyone kno how to upload a picture from my computer into a post? I have a couple awesome pictures of the effile tower in paris when they light it up. Every hour on the hour 8-11 for 10 min (9-9:10) they turn on 20,000 little strobe lights on the effile tower and it is totally awesome, KI should think about that. But yea how do u upload pics?

Making a "glass" floor for the Eiffel Tower at the Island would be pretty feasible, as long as it was cared for. The CN Tower's observation deck in Canada has a "glass" floor. I imagine that they use pretty thick, high quality lexan or something of the sort. Every once in a while (I think twice a year or so, this is a wild guess), the glass panels are replaced with new ones to ensure that a worn panel doesn't crack.

Like I said, It's feasible and would be cool to have happen.

Actually the top of the Eiffel Tower, the very top of the real thing in Paris isn't open for guests as far as I know. The real thin is actually painted with three different shades of brown that is specially made for the tower. It's painted this way to make it appear taller.

I imagine that they use pretty thick, high quality lexan or something of the sort. Every once in a while (I think twice a year or so, this is a wild guess), the glass panels are replaced with new ones to ensure that a worn panel doesn't crack.

Like I said, It's feasible and would be cool to have happen.

Lexan will not crack, unless under extreme stress. You can take a piece of two inch lexan, load it full of bullets and it still won't crack. there are special ways of breaking lexan, but it is not something that they want everyone to know. lexan is a very strong material, and even something that is only a couple of inches thick, can hold and extreme amount of weight and force. it behaves a lot like kevlar does.

Actually the top of the Eiffel Tower, the very top of the real thing in Paris isn't open for guests as far as I know.

Yea, um, Im definately gonna have to disagree with you there tanner, I know for a fact that I was in the top of the Eiffel Tower in paris on march 31. I could prove it cause I have pics of me there but I still dont know how to put a picture from my comp in my post.

Lexan is very strong, but it is almost imposible to crack. Lexan, is a very soft matterial. In fact if you had a small piece of lexan 0.25 inches thick or so, you could not break it in two. What I mean by this is, it will fold complealy over and it still wouln't break. I have tried myself to break a 0.25 inch piece and failed. It just folded over but would not break.

I have worked with lexan before (I made a "battery buggy" for science olympaid before...the lexan served as the chassis). It is pretty darned strong, but yes it does bend. Like I said, I THINK the glass floor of the CN Tower is lexan, but it could be...I'm not sure.

And if the park DID install a "glass" floor on the Eiffel Tower, I'm sure they would make sure to make the LOWER LEVEL have the glass floor instead of the upper level... biggrin.gif But of course, if the park did install it on the upper level, I would have no problem looking down and seeing things that girls wouldn't want me too...lol

Hey guys, I'm Diana, a RVT Tower sup and here's the low down on the Tower this year...

...Probably going to open 04/17, with brand new elevators. They are mostly the same as the original ones, except stainless steel....Sorry no glass floor, but slightly larger windows. It's about time we got new ones anyhow, having worked the last two years more than not on the Tower- They were 32 years old and becoming a royal pain.

It is 314 ft tall, not 331, (Oh, and I fully believe that it would fit under the original, I'm planning to visit it after college graduation next summer, if I can afford it.) We took down some antennae when DZ was built, so they could claim highest ride. It's one third of the one in Paris (Paris' being 314 m, but roughly, without going through the conversions of meters to feet exactly.)

Shutting down for rain is a judgement call, I usually shut once the lightning gets to within 5-10 miles. That's about the Warren County border for all you locals, well that's really 3 miles, but yea. It's still if you see it, go down, if the managers don't like it theyll tell ya.

Also, regarding the Tower replica in Europe (not Paris), It's supposedly 700 ft with a glass floor. Don't know, haven't visited it, Friend has. I'll have to do some research.

rolleyes.gifhuh.gifohmy.gifwink.giflaugh.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gifrolleyes.gifsmile.gif