Trick or Treat With the Dinosaurs

Snowman

For everyone who was looking forward to the wonderful Trick or Treating tradition at KI , I clipped this from an email:

"TRICK-OR-TREAT WITH THE DINOSAURS! - NEW FOR 2011!

There’s only one place where your kids can trick-or-treat with life-sized dinosaurs: Dinosaurs Alive at King Island. Your kids will collect a t-rex sized bag of candy in the shadows of sixty moving dinosaurs, including the largest animatronic dinosaur in the world. Uncover a giant skeleton at our dig site or decorate and take home your very own mini pumpkin."

They neglected to mention that tickets for this formally park admission included event is now 5 bucks for each kid!

You'd think CF could afford to pony up the 50 cents worth of candy and a baby pumpkin for the kids. What about the little ones who are too young or are scared of Dinosaurs? Disappointing to say the least.

Another thought, Some of those little tikes costumes aren't the most walking friendly. With this change of venue they are going to literally walk from one side of the park to the other.

I think everyone's taking this trick-or-treat thing wayyy too seriously. Howl-O-Fest still exists, exactly the same way it existed in past years. But this year, instead of five people passing out tootsie rolls while sitting in foldable chairs, you can have a really unique, fun, trick-or-treating experience in an animatronic dinosaur park. If you don't want to do it, you don't have to, but you can still do the normal Howl-o-Fest things in the picnic grove either way.

This year, Kings Island got a really unique exhibit and is trying to capitalize on it. Again, if Disney or Universal did this (which, by the way, they do with their $70+ hard ticket Halloween events) no one sees a problem. But because we tend to see Kings Island as a lovely, beautiful, honorable place where we spent our childhood, we refuse to see it as a business. I think this decision falls nicely in between - it creates a fun, new, memorable family experience and also earns money. I would say that it should be $2 - $3 instead of $5 since the children will likely be running from candy person to candy person, most having already seen the dinosaurs earlier in the summer. But still, I think it's a fair decision.

It's like when people complained about Dinosaurs Alive's very existence - if you pay the exact same amount of money you paid last year, you will get the exact same experience you got last year. If you want to pay a little extra for a "premium" experience, then you may choose to do so. That is the financial setup of Kings Island and many other amusement parks, like it or not. Pay more, get more.

GYK, who paid $70 to get into Mickey's Halloween Party this October at the place where our new company president used to work...

There is still Howl-o-Fest like there has been every year. They just added this on top of what is already done.

I don't think so. Last year it seemed the 2 highlights for the kids (and most popular attractions) was the pumpkin patch and the trick or treating. Neither of these seem to be offered in the picnic grove this year.

If they offer these in the Picnic Grove as well, I'll take back every complaint I'm making here.

GYK, "if you pay the exact same amount of money you paid last year, you will get the exact same experience you got last year" Not true, last year I could get out of the heat, enjoy Spongebob for no additional charge. This year it costs extra for a lesser experience (moving seats gone). Last year the little ones could trick or treat from workers dressed in whimsical, fantasy themed, child friendly costumes and get a pumpkin for no additional charge. Now they're going to have to go to the other end of the park, shell out 5 bucks to try to muster the courage to get close enough to the largest moving dinosaur they've ever seen without peeing they're Pampers. You gotta admit, that's a big difference from last year. I don't see Disney or Universal making little kids walk through something that could literally scare the crap out of them for some candy and a pumpkin.

For those thinking that Howl-o-Fest will be just like last year with trick or treating and the pumpkin patch, this is from KI's site:

"Howl-O-Fest October 1 - October 30 The Ultimate Kids Halloween Party!

Little ghouls and goblins absolutely love HOWL-O-FEST! There are all kinds of things that are fun-scary, not scary-scary. HOWL-O-FEST activities include a Costume Contest, Twisted Tales Maze, Gigantic Hay Bale Maze, Dance Party, Foam Pit, Tractor Town, Mask Painting, Games, Food and much more!

HOWL-O-FEST hours are from noon until 5pm Saturdays and Sundays October 1 through October 30. This family-friendly event is included FREE with park admission tickets and 2011 season passes."

Unless "and much more" means trick or treating and the pumpkin patch, Howl-o-Fest will be VERY different this year. I'm betting that to a 3 year old, massive moving Dinosaurs won't be "fun scary" but extremely "scary-scary".

I'm betting that to a 3 year old, massive moving Dinosaurs won't be "fun scary" but extremely "scary-scary".

I guess it depends on the 3 year old? My just turned 3 year old made it a requirement to visit the dinosaur at the front of the park each trip. I'm looking forward to this, we held off doing DA all season, knowing that once we did it once, he was going to want to do it every trip. Aside from the begging for another ride on the Viking Ship, Boo Blasters and The Beastie, we didn't really want to spend the $15 to see DA more than 1x. This gives us the perfect opportunity to enjoy both DA, and the trick or treating on his last trip to the park this season. I doubt the dinosaurs are going to scare him in the least. Never having experienced DA myself, I assume its no more scary (and likely less so) than boo blasters; I see 3 year olds (and younger) in line for boo blasters every trip to the park.

My kids are 1 and 2 (until October 23rd) but we are going this Sunday. So since they will be free to get in the park, will i still have to pay $5 a piece for them to trick or treat with the dinos??

my guess would be yes, mainly because that 5 dollars a child, and possibly adults too, helps cover the cost of the mini pumpkins they're giving out, the craft supplies being used to decorate the pumpkins, and the candy being handed out to them.

i honestly don't see that being that bad of a deal, especially when your kids get into the park for free, but to get a creditable answer it would be best to call guest relations.

The park complains about us complaining all the time. (Insert irony) But, since we know that they read this forum, how hard would it be to have someone from the park give us a quick post to explain how the trick-or-treating and pumpkin decorating is going to work and put this whole subject to rest. (Or is it that Snowman has already figured it out and they don't want to confirm it?)

OR, maybe they really do enjoy the "complaining" as much as we do! :P

well my kids are old enough to enjoy the dinos. I think it would be pretty bad though if they charged $5 for lets say a 5- 6 month old baby thats going through with the family.

My point exactly. As BavarianBeatle mentioned, at $5 each the parents should get a bag-o-treats and a baby pumpkin to. I completely get that some kids will find this very cool, but alot of those kids I saw in the picnic grove last year would be terrified of the Dinosaurs, so they don't get to trick or treat or get a pumpkin. That's what sucks.

How many years has KI offered a daytime halloween event where kids could trick or treat without an upcharge? I was curious how long this family tradition has been around.

...but alot of those kids I saw in the picnic grove last year would be terrified of the Dinosaurs, so they don't get to trick or treat or get a pumpkin. That's what sucks.

how exactly do you know that 'a lot' of those kids you saw last year would be terrified of animatronic dinosaurs? unless you know each of the kids you saw personally, i don't see how you could come to that conclusion.

I think it would be pretty bad though if they charged $5 for lets say a 5- 6 month old baby thats going through with the family.

I think that would depend on if that baby will be trick-or-treating. If mom and dad are just going to carry the little tyke through the DA area while big bro/sis go trick or treating I say no charge. Now if mom or dad is taking them in to trick-or-treat AKA mom and dad trick-or treating and reaping the benefits from so called trick-or treating, I say charge them.

how exactly do you know that 'a lot' of those kids you saw last year would be terrified of animatronic dinosaurs? unless you know each of the kids you saw personally, i don't see how you could come to that conclusion.

Quite the splitting of hairs, huh? Well many of the kids I saw would have difficulty expressing the nuances of what exactly would cause them fear (and poop filled Pampers) regarding large animatronic dinosaurs, because many of them were too little to SPEAK! I don't think KI would care for me to try to get to know every small child in the picnic grove before I make a very general assessment of their fear threshold.

How about this:

I would guess a lot of those kids I saw in the picnic grove last year would be terrified of the Dinosaurs. (does that help?)

Does someone know how far some people will go to nit pick a post?.........Yes someone does....... It's ME!!!

i did NOT nit pick your post, i just wanted to better understand how you seem to know so much about the success of trick or treating with the dinosaurs when it hasn't even occurred yet. so many members on this site fly off the handle when something isn't the way they think it should be, whether it be the year's new attraction, a policy the park changed, ect...

truly, it gets old fast. :)

Guest TombraiderTy

This sounds like the perfect equation to me:

Dinosaurs (which kids love) + Candy (which kids also love) = Trick-or-Treating in Dinosaurs Alive (pure genius)

Not to mention that, with the $5 upcharge, Kings Island will both limit the number of guests in the area (creating a less-crowded, more guest-friendly environment) and bring-in quite a nice bit of change (cause Dinosaurs Alive is obviously making money... it wouldn't be duplicated at 3+ other parks otherwise).

I'll definitely plan on doing this with my 3-year-old nephew sometime in October :)

• Like 1

Guest TombraiderTy

I find this interesting...

Holiday World Season Pass (with Upgrade) - $139.95

Dollywood Gold Season Pass - $124

Coney Island Platinum Pass - $119.90

Kings Island Gold Pass - $69.99

Based off how incredibly cheap a Kings Island season pass is (and how much said season pass covers), I really don't think anyone can justify complaining about a nominal upcharge fee to go trick-or-treating with some dinosaurs. Ditto with higher-priced food, merchandise, parking...

And that's exactly the point. Kings Island has a low gate price (and a very low season pass price) for exactly that reason - to get you in the door. Then, "they gotta eat," park, see the cute dinosaurs, watch the 3-D movie, buy a few refreshing Coca-Cola products... It's not better or worse, just a completely different financial plan than the others you listed. The others charge [relatively] high prices for admission and passes, but then have cheaper food options and more included events and activities.

The idea in theory is that you spend the same regardless. The advantage to Kings Island's is that it attracts more people initially. The disadvantage is that, at least in our experience, people elect not to buy the food or souvenirs sometimes, which (in this business model) is sort of detrimental, right?

Even the Platinum Pass at $160 dollars... Considering $50 a day at Cedar Point, two days at Kings Island with the pay-once-visit-twice ticket, and $12 for parking each of those three days, it's essentially paid for itself and begun saving you after three visits. That's very, very, very cheap. if you visit the parks once a week all summer long, the cost of parking alone would've paid for the Platinum Pass.