AVATAR Is Going To Animal Kingdom

Walt Disney World has announced they are bringing the world of AVATAR to Animal Kingdom. Full story here.

I have mixed feelings about this at this point with the little information that was provided. The fact that Bob Iger was the one to make the announcement it may end up being something to look forward too.

• Like 1

We believe Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in new ways. Disney’s Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.

Somehow, this still comes across as a forced partnership to me. As fantastic as Disney is, I can honestly say I have never seen them create an immersive environment anywhere even close to those seen at Islands of Adventure, and I can't see how they'll create the sweeping, glowing landscapes of AVATAR, especially in a way that makes sense in Animal Kingdom.

I truly don't think any intellectual property could conquer Harry Potter in terms of pop culture permeation, but AVATAR wouldn't have even been in my top five runner-ups... And while this announcement is certainly intriguing, I haven't seen the massive jubilation and excitement that followed Harry Potter's announcement. Even with the pending sequels, I don't imagine AVATAR as a massive, noteworthy, Disney-friendly property.

I would've expected superheroes instead. And for Animal Kingdom, "dueling dragons" aside, a land celebrating mythological creatures (dragons, unicorns, Fantasia, etc) would've been a really nice, exciting, whimsical fit. Again, this feels... forced, and like a very weak tie-in to Animal Kingdom was concocted last minute. Even the wording in the quote above makes it seem as if this entire project was designed, and then they tried to find a place for it instead of trying to build it into a park. If it were a traveling exhibit or something (like the Prince Caspian walk-through at DHS), it would make more sense. But they make it sound like this will be a new "land." Even if it is, the e-ticket attraction anchoring it seems like it'd have to be either a Spiderman-type ride or a Harry Potter type ride, and either would come across as a very obvious copy...

Like Avatar, I have mixed feelings...

• Like 2

Guest TombraiderTy

^I never experienced either of those attractions' predecessors, but I enjoyed both Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management and Journey into Imagination with Figment when I first watched/rode them in 2002 and 2005, respectively. I think it's mainly the Disney fanboys who hold such passionate hate for them.

Regarding this new Avatar land, I must admit that the announcement really came out of left field. There have always been the on-and-off rumors of Beastly Kingdom at the park, but I never expected something of this sort to appear. I've also never watched the film, but after having searched the trailer on YouTube, I'm already slightly excited. However, I'm not going to get my hopes up too high- with construction not planned till 2013, quite a bit can change between now-and-then.

I'm curious as to where the land will go within the park- will it replace Camp Minnie-Mickey (the original spot for the ill-fated BK) or will it utilize a new piece of land?

Coming in... 2017??? Construction beginning in 2013?

The design phase on the Disney’s Animal Kingdom project has just begun so stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more details.

This seems like an awfully, awfully early announcement.

We believe Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in new ways. Disney’s Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.

Sounds like the managed to keep some themes of Beastly Kingdomme alive, with some new and different layers.

I'm happy to see something new for AK, I just can't see the justification for announcing it so early.

• Like 1

What about the part where half the people on this forum read the thread name and get all excited about a potential new TR, huh? :P

Let's not kid ourselves. If Avatar (the person) did a PTR on Animal Kingdom, we'd all just look at his Expedition Everest and Lion King photos and then scroll down until he made it to EPCOT. :)

• Like 1

OK have had some time to think about AVATAR going into Animal Kingdom and from quotes many of you picked up on, I would like to throw out a few speculative ideas. Some ask "Why Animal Kingdom" well Animal Kingdom has a tree of life with a very old 3d movie still playing, those who have done it know it is very interactive with props and guest seat surprises. I think AVATAR can use the existing tree of life and incorporate it into the Mayan Tree of Life which is a huge sacred tree to the Mayas Na"vi people which is a big focus of the AVATAR movie. The animals are carved into the tree already to incorporate that tie in. They can use the inside of the tree and revamp it to make it a unique AVATAR interactive 4D movie experience. Do not know but I could see this happening.

Well those who may have thought they might be getting a Avatar trip report when clicking this thread well just know you will be very soon. This weekend is usually the start of our annual Fall Vacation but due to the schools later Fall break we decided to move our vacation to take place in December instead. I did start a trip report of our last years adventure which included many of the Orlando parks but did not finish it, well I have decided after reading RailRiders report to go ahead and finish it mine. I think there is some very unique experiences that can be shared and would be of some interest to some of you. Ryan there will be a test on the written portion of that report, so you have been officially warned.

I have planned to do a trip report on Kings Island Haunt coming up on this Friday. I am dedicated to do that trip report one way or the other should be interesting to see what I cover there or not cover. Sounds like I better start the finger exercises, I wouldn't want to throw out a finger or two with all the typing in my forecast.

• Like 1

^I never experienced either of those attractions' predecessors, but I enjoyed both Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management and Journey into Imagination with Figment when I first watched/rode them in 2002 and 2005, respectively. I think it's mainly the Disney fanboys who hold such passionate hate for them.

I first experienced The Tiki Room while I was at Disneyland about 5 years ago...the next year I went to WDW and saw the "Under New..." version. I don't think I could have been considered a "fanboy" for the attraction and I thought the "Under..." was awful compared to the original.

I think overall it is a passionate hate for the voice of Gilbert Gottfried! ;)

• Like 1

OK have had some time to think about AVATAR going into Animal Kingdom and from quotes many of you picked up on, I would like to throw out a few speculative ideas. Some ask "Why Animal Kingdom" well Animal Kingdom has a tree of life with a very old 3d movie still playing, those who have done it know it is very interactive with props and guest seat surprises. I think AVATAR can use the existing tree of life and incorporate it into the Mayan Tree of Life which is a huge sacred tree to the Mayas Na"vi people which is a big focus of the AVATAR movie. The animals are carved into the tree already to incorporate that tie in. They can use the inside of the tree and revamp it to make it a unique AVATAR interactive 4D movie experience. Do not know but I could see this happening.

Avatar, if that is the case, I'd be more than happy. I can see beautiful, twinkling LED's added to the tree's canopy and to the exploration trails around the base. If a few animatronic, Pandorian "flowers" and jumping water fountains were added to those gardens interwoven through the roots, it would truly be a beautiful, serene, peaceful place. Glowing water, twinkling leaves, etc.

It's the idea of an entire new land being added that I'm not comfortable with. Some films, like Indiana Jones and Star Wars, have lasting appeal and fit very seamlessly into the parks in which their attractions exist (for example, Disneyland's Adventureland recieving a 'lost delta,' 1940's style jungle motif to match their Temple of the Forbidden Eye). The other intellectual properties are truly at home in their respective enviornments. As I said, if this is a new "land," like the park's Asia, Africa, Discovery Island, etc. then I'll feel let down. Especially since the very world of AVATAR is so massive and overwhelming (the floating mountains, cliffs, rivers, etc) I don't think it realistically could translate into a real, physical space.

Again, I'd be pleased as punch if this is just one attraction placed on Discovery Island, and if the park gets its own twinkling-lights, jumping-water overhaul to go with it. But I don't think that the AVATAR property demands or requires an entire new "land," and as I said, I can't see them finding an e-ticket attraction to match unless it uses Spiderman's technology, Harry Potter's technology, or is a roller coaster. A film in the Tree of Life would be awesome. But a whole land? That leaves a sour taste in my mouth. But they noted that construction will begin in 2013, and that the AVATAR addition is about a five year plan from start to finish, so that would put its opening around 2016. Three years of construction sure sounds like a massive new land...

• Like 1

I don't understand why they made a deal to add the AVATAR world to Disney's AK... Only one film has been made with more to come in the future. Why would they invest so much in a franchise that hasn't truly shown its potential. Who knows, the second film may flop. Another thing that bothers me is, when I think of AVATAR I don't think of Disney at all. Not one bit. I just can't grasp this.

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited about the possibilities, and yeah HTCO, I definitely was thinking about the Wing Riders, though I'd wonder if it would be a coaster or if they'd do something similar to Soarin' (but with some new technology) for that kind of experience.

I know Avatar wasn't my first choice for a franchise movie tie-in (Lord of the Rings would have ruled) but the timing is spot on for the sequels to come out just before the land is ready. And though it's unproven if the sequels will be good, I have my faith in Cameron. He's only made quality since Terminator and that's proven in the box office. A Cameron film release is almost an event in itself, so a Disney themed land based on his productions should be even more so.

• Like 2

Disney World is becoming less and less like Disney. Magic Kingdom is really the only park that is magical and "Disney" related (Hollywood Studios is somewhat Disney), and now they are neglecting Epcot, which is by far one of the best parks there.

Isn't Animal Kingdom big enough, anyways? Do they really need something else there?

Edit: Oh, and what made me say this is Avatar is not made by Disney.

• 5 months later...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-03-18/business/os-cfb-tourism-avatar-0319-20120318_1_disney-vacation-club-iger-theme-parks

A new land themed around the "Avatar" movie franchise is likely to open in Disney's Animal Kingdom "sometime in 2015," according to the Walt Disney Co.'s top executive.

Disney President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger provided the rough target date during a question-and-answer session at Disney's annual shareholder meeting in Kansas City, Mo.

Disney has released few details about the roughly $500 million project since it was announced six months ago. It is supposed to the first of several lands themed to the James Cameron-directed movie that will be built at Disney theme parks around the world.

The lack of new information has fueled some Internet speculation that the Walt Disney World project could be in trouble. But Iger's comments suggest it is still on track.

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited about the possibilities, and yeah HTCO, I definitely was thinking about the Wing Riders, though I'd wonder if it would be a coaster or if they'd do something similar to Soarin' (but with some new technology) for that kind of experience.

Funny enough, the currently-circulating rumor is that Disney proposed a little too much of "Soarin'" style technology for Pandora and that Cameron was put-off by the amount of his world that would be relegated to screens (which is almost humorously ironic). If there's truth to that, than it goes back to what I said in this thread in September: legacy of the film and the appropriateness of an Animal Kingdom location aside, the world of Pandora is far too massive to translate well into a physical space... Even Disney has its limits, and the floating mountains, grandness, and the overwhelming, breathtaking nature of the film's setting is (almost exclusively) what it'll be remembered for (do you remember the names of the lead characters?). If that can't be fully duplicated (which I argue that it can't) then what's the point?

Disney World is becoming less and less like Disney. Magic Kingdom is really the only park that is magical and "Disney" related (Hollywood Studios is somewhat Disney), and now they are neglecting Epcot, which is by far one of the best parks there.

Isn't Animal Kingdom big enough, anyways? Do they really need something else there?

Edit: Oh, and what made me say this is Avatar is not made by Disney.

As painful as it is to hear, part of what Disney has created in its theme parks is an amalgamation of other studios' intellectual properties. Their financial position allows for tremendous acquisitions like that. Off the top of my head, three of their most groundbreaking, innovative, and well-loved attractions are themed to stories owned by other movie studios: Indiana Jones Adventure (Paramount), Star Tours (20th Century Fox), and The Twilight Zone (CBS). For me (and from what I gather, others), the problem is that Avatar so far does not have the lasting pop-culture influence of the other three properties. And indeed, it appears that Disney simply sought to get their hands on the biggest property they could, then rushed an announcement of acquisition without any real, solid plans having been worked out.

Now there are two sequels ahead, but remember, there's no guarantee they'll be well-received. I am of the belief that Universal Studios MIGHT have given a second or third thought to constructing the Transformers ride in the light of two terribly received sequels if it weren't already too late to back track. But then again, despite critical lambasting, both sequels did very well financially. In that way, the notion of building a ride based on the franchise does capture the 21st century view of films very well.

As for Epcot, give it time. The Walt Disney Company just afforded $1.2 billion to a single park's progress. Once they've recouped from that, the rumor is that both of the American Tomorrowland's will be worked on. Meanwhile, Project Gemini at Epcot never came to full fruition, and I think that the general consensus is that something must be done there...

Was Star Wars Disney? What about Indiana Jones, power rangers, Aerosmith, Twilight Zone, that just a few rides in Studios. Disney is so much more than Magic Kingdom, and what is inside Magic Kingdom.

And in the original Disney park (the only one Walt Disney had a piece in building, mind you), two of those intellectual properties you listed are represented by attractions in the park with the castle, not in the "not as legacy-oriented" second gate. That's not to say I'm excited, thrilled, or happy that this Avatar project is allegedly still on track, just that the non-Disney-fication of Disney parks is hardly the first issue with it.

• Like 1

Aside from the movies, Transformers has a lasting memory as a toy. I loved transformers as a kid, my 3 year old likes transformers, my teenaged nephews like(d) transformers when they were younger. Despite the movies, when I read "Transformers" I'm automatically taken to happy thoughts. I doubt universal is going to regret that investment, at the end of the day Transformers has been a long, well proven success as a toy as much as anything. Anyhoo, I agree w/ goodyellowcorn, in my doubts of Avatar. It was great fun to watch it on the big screen, in 3d, a work of great beauty. As a story however, it was cliched and predictable, rather unmemorable. that is going to be hard to recapture in their sequels, its even harder to translate to your TV at home. There's not a strong toy history to fall back on (though I assume the toys sold well following the release)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Top Disney exec says Avatar Land remains on track
Disney has said almost nothing about "Avatar Land" since announcing it more than a year ago, prompting speculation that it was reevaluating plans for a project themed around the 2009 blockbuster by director James Cameron. The speculation intensified in October when Burbank, Calif.-based Disney spent more than $4 billion to acquire Lucasfilm and the rights to the venerable "Star Wars" franchise.
pixel.gif
pixel.gif

But Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs said Thursday that Disney remains enthusiastic about Avatar Land, which designers hope will bring the lush world known as "Pandora" to life inside Animal Kingdom. Analysts do not expect the land to open until at least 2017.

• Like 1