AVATAR Is Going To Animal Kingdom

• 9 months later...

More than two years after announcing its intentions, Disney has officially announced the details of the much-despised-by-fans PANDORA - The World of Avatar land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom sometime between 2016 and 2018. To be honest, it's better than I thought. Still things I'd much prefer, but it's done well. It really does look on-scale with Cars Land. The general consensus so far is that it's not as awful as everyone thought, but still not preferable. Still, I hope they follow through and make it as grand as these plans!

• Like 2

This is gonna sound stupid, but the main reason why I don't like this is, now there's really no "landmark" in Animal Kingdom. Magic Kingdom just has the Cinderella Castle, Epcot has Spaceship Earth, and Hollywood Studios has the hat. But at Animal Kingdom, there's the Tree of Life, Mount Everest, and now the floating mountains. I like being able to tell each park apart by their landmark, but I'm not really sure now what it will be at AK.

Other than that silly complaint, this looks great. But nothing will be as good as WWoHP.

Actually, Hollywood Studios' landmark is supposed to be Grauman's Chinese Theater (although the water tower with the Mickey Ears ended up the more marketable landmark), but they somehow believed it wasn't iconic enough and decided to plop a giant sorcerer's hat in front of it and ruin the atmosphere of their Hollywood Boulevard. A similar issue happened when Mickey's wand remained atop Spaceship Earth long after the Millennium celebration and dampened the appeal of Future World.

• Like 1

Each park has many notable landmarks and memorable features, but only one icon that's used to represent the park and be its centerpiece. Cinderella Castle, Spaceship Earth, the Sorcerer Hat, and the Tree of Life.

I'm not sure if you've been to Animal Kingdom, jdawg1998, but the Tree of Life has no qualms or hesitations about being the park's icon - it towers over everything else. It's directly at the center of the hub-and-spokes layout. It's huge, and it's the thing you see no matter where you're going or coming from. Expedition Everest is large and beautiful, too, but it's no more Animal Kingdom's icon than Space Mountain is Magic Kingdom's. The Floating Mountains in Pandora will be really impressive and beautiful, but just like Big Thunder Mountain, they won't take over any duties.

At Disney California Adventure, there's a whole lot of mess. Is the park's icon the towering Grizzly Peak? It was in 2001. Is the park's official icon Mickey's Fun Wheel, the park's Ferris wheel? It was in 2008. Or is it the Carthay Circle Theatre at the end of the Buena Vista Street, which officially took over as the icon in 2012 but is neither the tallest, flashiest, or most advertised landmark in the park? Phew.

Also, fans of Disney Parks / Buena Vista Street / Disney's Hollywood Studios / Hollywood Blvd. / Imagineering: you'll laugh out loud when you read this "Imagineer" interview.

• Like 1

Say what you will about Avatar as a movie, Im luke warm, but Pandora coming a live at Animal Kingdom looks amazing. Really it makes perfect sense, originally phase 2 of AK was going to be a mythical land of dragons and unicorns, well Disney put that off and now they are developing a mythical land that is branded and has 3 new movies on the way. Brilliant marketing strategy if you ask me. The renderings look fantastic and AK at night is going to have a very unique feel. Night rides on Everest, should be awesome.

Also the fact AK will be open later and have a night time show is great, I am really excited about this. Especially if it is a World of Color style show. This will also lessen nighttime crowds at the 3 other parks.

AK has been in need of more attractions, honestly this park can be done and experienced by midday or you can get up late and skip rope drop here and you are ok. This is all going to change now and the new attractions will keep the park bustling all day. I am excited for more family attractions at AK. 2 major rides in Pandora and probably 2-3 more minor attractions as well.

Now if the rumors hold true that Disney Studios is getting a Star Wars Land, hold on to your light saber.

• Like 4

Said rumors are gaining more steam according to my sources. The idea is to eliminate the Honey I shrunk... playground as well as a good deal of the backlot tour in order to make way for it. The actual canyon would be utilized in some new form. I hope they at least preserve Walt's plane from the 50s-60s.

• Like 2

Yes I have heard very similar rumors and also including the inclusion of Muppets in to the new land as well. With the popularity of Star Wars Weekends and the ownership of the Star Wars brand now, this makes more sense then ever. Disney would hit a major home run with the expansion of New Fantasyland, Avatar, and then Star Wars to go along with the numerous resort expansions, and Downtown Disney retheme. The World may looks vastly different in the coming years.

• Like 3

Not to mention, a makeover of Disneyland's Tomorrowland using a Star Wars aesthetic and new Star Wars attractions is all but confirmed by industry insiders, and it's always cheaper to approach two similar projects rather than two different ones...

• Like 2

Lots of good stuff on the horizon for WDW--Star Wars expansion, Soarin 2.0, some type of Monsters Inc dark ride (maybe a clone of the flying doors coaster DL is getting), renovation of DTD to Disney Springs, etc..as Walt envisoned, the place should be ever-changing and evolving to keep up with the times.

• Like 1

Dunno if I'm really excited for this...cool I get to see pandora, cool some sfx...

But Pandora wasn't really that big of a deal to me...Only thing it launched was great SFX and appropriate 3D use...other than that it wasn't really that...amazing..Basically combined a bunch of the sci fi world, put in a typical James Cameron love story, James Horner music, add some 3D done...Like I don't even really care to see the sequels...I don't see how the story can continue..it kinda reminds me of Atlantis...then Atlantis 2...Kinda...ooook where do we go..

Also edit..quick question...what the hell is the one Disney Imagineer wearing on his ear all the time...just...weird lol

• Like 1

Dunno if I'm really excited for this...cool I get to see pandora, cool some sfx...

But Pandora wasn't really that big of a deal to me...Only thing it launched was great SFX and appropriate 3D use...other than that it wasn't really that...amazing..Basically combined a bunch of the sci fi world, put in a typical James Cameron love story, James Horner music, add some 3D done...Like I don't even really care to see the sequels...I don't see how the story can continue..it kinda reminds me of Atlantis...then Atlantis 2...Kinda...ooook where do we go..

Also edit..quick question...what the hell is the one Disney Imagineer wearing on his ear all the time...just...weird lol

Joe Rohde? He's one of the eccentric and creative types out there. He's "the face" of Disney's Animal Kingdom - an avid world traveler and artist first, and an Imagineer second, pulsing elements of his creativity and travel into the park. In other words, he's a free spirit.

And yeah, those who initially supported Pandora did so almost entirely on the basis that the film is - unadjusted for inflation - the highest earning film ever. The simple rebuttal is that Avatar was the first modern, wide-release 3D movie to really rely on 3D to sell itself. So yes, lots of people saw the movie (and for the first time ever, MOST paid the extra $4 - 10 for the 3D version) and enjoyed the visuals, but it's not exactly gone down in time as a classic. The fun thing is to ask, "What was the main character's name?" Most don't know. So yes, it was a visual spectacle and an overnight sensation that captivated people into seeing it, but does it deserve a massive, permanent land in a Disney Park? The hope would be that the sequels (officially THREE right now) cause just as much stir and earn just as much... Hmm...

But to be fair, Cars wasn't exactly Disney or Pixar's most well-loved film, but the opening of Cars Land certainly silenced the folks who had been appalled by the idea of it.

• Like 6

Lots of good stuff on the horizon for WDW--Star Wars expansion, Soarin 2.0, some type of Monsters Inc dark ride (maybe a clone of the flying doors coaster DL is getting), renovation of DTD to Disney Springs, etc..as Walt envisoned, the place should be ever-changing and evolving to keep up with the times.

One can hope. While Walt certainly envisioned that things should be ever-changing, its sad that TDO has really lost sight of that for the better part of the last decade. It's no secret that both DHS and Animal Kingdom are at the bottom of the ladder as far as the Florida parks are concerned, with most guests spending half day or so at each and then venturing over for an additional visit to Epcot or Magic Kingdom. At the current pace, there is an incredibly high possibility that Universal Studios will surpass Animal Kingdom and DHS in attendance with the opening of Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Diagon Alley next year. These attractions are sorely needed at both parks.

I'm certainly not that excited about Avatar. Although I'm sure, like New Fantasyland, it'll turn out to be beautiful...the attraction line up just seems blah. I have to believe there is something innovative behind the "Soarin 2.0" ride, but right now current chatter is no. I'll also be curious to see if Avatar makes the registers ring as much as Potter did for Universal. I don't think it will, but time will tell. I'm far more excited about the extended hours, night time safaris and night show...I think those alone will go along way with keeping guests in park longer. The smartest thing on the horizon is leveraging the Star Wars brand. THAT will be a home run, no doubt about it, and that will affect DHS much like Carsland did for DCA.

So yes, potentially a lot of exciting things on the horizon....never fear we have 4-5 years to keep speculating and discussing before anything sees the light of day. Meanwhile, down on the farm, you'll have two completely refreshed parks at Universal to enjoy before any of the above projects open.

• Like 3

Partial thanks to Universal , with there recent and future expansion , the Mouse has some competition ( although WDW will always be the main draw to central FL.)

No one will argue that point. Universal will never beat Disney. What they can do, however, is keep people off Disney property for LONGER. With Comcast essentially giving the parks a blank check and openly discussing how much money they intend to invest in UOR, Disney will have a serious competitor at their door steps. Instead of a family spending a full 7 day vacation at Disney, they may only choose to spend 4 or 5...and spend their other 2 or 3 days down the road at Universal.

• Like 2

Well there is a big difference, IMO, from Avatar to Harry Potter or Avatar to Star Wars or Avatar to Cars.

Harry Potter is/was a film series that grew with audiences. If you have a little one, you can throw on the first movie and have them be just as entertained as the adults. When they get older you can show them the other movies. They can grow up with the characters. Then they want to go to Universal and live in that world.

Cars is a kids movie. Kids love it. Adults enjoy it. But it is always on tv. Kids can see it all of the time, and kids love seeing characters live.

Star Wars. See Harry Potter, but multiple movies, you can get people to really want to visit. Plus who doesnt want the possibility to have a light saber fight with Vader?

Avatar: 1 visually awesome movie. Kids dont flock to turn it on like they do the Pixar films or HP or Star Wars. I think it will be a nice addition, but I dont think it will have the high impact that it would have had when Avatar first came out. Plus in 4-5 years, who knows what people will like.

If you take a stroll over to Universal Islands of Adventure, Jurassic Park land is still semi popular. Mainly because of Dinosaurs. Kids love Dinosaurs. You can pet em, you can see them. You can hatch them, etc. Dr. Seuss land is a kiddie land and well done. Toon Lagoon, is starting to be dated with cartoons no longer on the air. Marvel part is more popular than ever, thanks to Disney/Marvel making a bunch of movies every few years.

• Like 1

Avatar was cool visuals, cool multiple sci fi stuff (mech suits, tree of life, cryo, long distance space travel, ect.)...However, it's not like Harry Potter to me...It's not a series I fell in love with, followed, and enjoyed..Sorry but I still find it kinda creepy a human while still a human sleeps with the smurf lady, stuff was just creepy. The only time I rewatch avatar is if I have people over who wanna see it on a 3DTV with an epic surround sound. That is the only two places this movie shows off, great visuals, and great GREAT surround sound mix, not even the last three Star Wars movies come close with THX doing their magic.

We can debate the Avatar as a movie franchise and brand until we are blue in the face. Let us remember that when AK was originally build the original concept called for a phase 2 expansion that was to be a mythical land of dragons and unicorns. For still questionable reasons that never happened. Now Disney is finally doing the phase 2 expansion, yet it is branded, which is great marketing. Now if this new expansion would have been announced with concept artwork as some mythical non branded land, how would you feel? The concept artwork and descriptions that have been released and sound and look amazing. I look at this as a great expansion for the park that is much needed and that will change how folks visit AK

• Like 2

If Beastly Kingdom were announced, I think fans would've been in utter shock and euphoria. Up until the concept art was released last week, fans were practically begging Disney to cancel Avatar and bring back Beastly Kingdom. To be fair, the Avatar concept art has quelled many, many fears, but most still agree that it's not the best Disney could do, and that Avatar does not deserve a permanent land in a Disney Park, even with three sequels in the pipeline.

For those who don't know, Beastly Kingdom was set to be Animal Kingdom's sixth land, with Camp Minnie-Mickey never being intended to stay more than a few years (hence why it contains nothing but one show). Beastly Kingdom would've been divided into a dark, fiery area of ancient ruins with a headlining Dragon's Tower inverted roller coaster, and a beautiful harmonious garden of hedge mazes, a "Quest for the Unicorn," and a boat ride through the scene from Fantasia with dancing hippos and alligators. That's why there's a dragon on the park's logo despite the lack of mythological creatures (until the Yeti).

The most famous in-park reference to Beastly Kingdom was the now-defunct Discovery River Cruise that circled around the Tree of Life, previewing the attractions each land offered on its respective shore. Dinoland had an animatronic stegosaur and her pups drinking from the river; a lion and family in Africa; and in front of Camp Minnie-Mickey, a cave. When the boat passed the cave, you'd hear roaring and a blast of fire would shoot out, signaling that this land was reserved for dragons. Otherwise there's a dragon head over the park's entry gates, a "Unicorn" parking lot section, and the dragon in the logo.

Avatarkingdom_fantasyconcept.jpg

beastlycastle3.jpg

dragontower2.jpg?t=1264464906

quest_overview_parr.jpg

Quest for the Unicorn would be an interactive walk-through where you'd navigate a hedge maze intending to awaken five gold statues who would give you parts of a code to unlock the Unicorn's castle at the end of the maze.

quest_griffin_parr.jpg

quest_gargoyles_parr.jpg

quest_unicorn_parr.jpg

The story goes that as Disney began to cut back on the project that the Imagineers had worked so hard on (the real beginning of the major, major cost-cutting strategies across the parks that would last for a decade), they revolted and went a few miles north to Universal Orlando, who was building their Islands of Adventure park with a blank check. Islands of Adventure was supposedly designed almost entirely by former Imagineers, and Beastly Kingdom became that park's Lost Continent (specifically, Dueling Dragons and the surrounding Merlinwood area).

But to answer the question, I think if Disney announced Beastly Kingdom, myself and most fans would be in a joyous uproar, booking plane tickets the second we were able. My naive belief would be that the general public would like the idea of it also, and that it would be very simple to market. As for Avatar, I now feel confident it'll be well carried out and beautiful, but I won't go out of my way to get back to Orlando to see it. I don't expect many people will, but we'll see. Next time I'm in the area (doubtlessly for Universal) I'll check it out, and I'm sure I'll be amazed by the scope, but otherwise it's not something I'd make a trip for. Maybe some Avatar fan club will?

• Like 4