AVATAR Is Going To Animal Kingdom

While watching Avatar, my primary thought was "I want to play in this world!" The plot was stupid, but the design of that world was something different.

I was thinking more along the lines of a video game that would allow me to explore it. However, if done correctly (and Disney is one of very few companies I could imagine doing it correctly), the imagination and "set" design of the world of Avatar could make for an immersive and interactive setting so interesting, who cares about the actual movie(s) or licensing tie-in?

In fact, I can see the park improving the Avatar brand more than I would ever have expected the other way around. I imagine kids saying "that Avatar world was amazing, let's go back!" And then being surprised to find out later there was a movie.

That said, obviously the creative energy already employed by Disney could, and in my opinion should be allowed to, create things just as imaginative and unusual without a movie tie-in to "sell" it to their investors.

• Like 4

Please note that I am not trying to offend any person (or group) with my next comment. I'm simply making a comment based on personal experiences and observations I've made. That being said:

I feel that the Wizarding World of Harry Potter comes with a slight disadvantage over Disney World and here's why. I know some families, christians, and christian groups who want nothing to do with Harry Potter because of the "witchcraft and wizardry" dealt with in the movie series. These same people are more likely to avoid places like that and flock to Disney as they have no problems with the more lighthearted, fairytale "magic" so prevalent in most Disney films. That being said, you could say that this is just a small percentage of the population, but it still equates into dollars. So you could say that "Potter" may not have as high a draw (even though the draw is quite large) as Disney has with all of their offerings.

I'm not really a Harry Potter fan, so I'd be more likely to choose Disney over Universal because of that. So, does Universal have something that only draws a niche crowd? Maybe, I feel like Disney's appeal is more widespread because of all the different variations they have within their parks. Again, I'm not picking people out, or saying this is fact. I'm just stating what I've heard and seen from personal experience. If someone feels I'm wrong, please feel free to give your opinion as well.

Disney defintiely caters more to a family audience than Universal but I think the group that condemns Harry Potter for the witchracta dn sorcery is a very minute segment that won't affect them too much. Some of them might even be likely to go visit teh park for it's other attractions as well and just skip over teh Harry Potter sections.

I will agree though that I think Disney has a broader appeal but that also has somewhat to do with it having a lot more to offer adn do there. They have 4 full theme parks, their downtown section, numerous resorts, camping, horse back riding, golfing, 2 themed water parks, etc. Where as Universal is just 2 parks which feel smaller than most of Disney's, a small downtown area connecting them, and a few hotels. I can easily spend a week at Disney whereas I start getting bored at Universal by the end of day 3.

That being said it feels as if Universal has beens tepping their game up more lately than Disney has and it has not gone unnoticed by most. I see constant comparisons between the additions and people are favoring Universal's plans of late. New Fantasyland looks amazing but the park as a whole has only netted one new attraction. That has been the only real addition in all of WDW too as they have been focused on the My Magic+ system. Universal though has updated Jimmy Neutron to Despicable Me! Minion Mayhem, added Transformers, built an entire Springfield section, and now opened Diagon Alley and teh Hogwarts Express. I'm a huge Disney fan and have always loved the parks. However a group of friends and Ia re planning to go down to Orlando to visit both in January and I can easily say I am more excited to go back to Universal than I am for Disney because of all the new additions.

• Like 1

There are things about both parks I like, so if I'm vacationing in Orlando I'm hitting both up for several days for sure. For WDW, I personally DON'T want it changing too much for selfish reasons, that being nostalgia. I don't care if some rides or areas become dated, because I love reliving childhood memories. I think their pace of updating things is perfect. Also, I didn't care for the movie but an Avatar land could be mind-blowing if done right, and I have plenty of confidence that it will.

Universal is awesome too, but in a different way. They nailed some pretty cool thrill rides. While some of the nostalgic ones are gone now, they've been replaced with what appear to be home runs. And while I'm no Potter fan, they seemed to have built a pretty authentic recreation that'll keep people coming back for a long time.

• Like 3

I still wonder what the carrying power of Potter will be in the next 10+ years, same can be said for Avatar. These characters or brands have not been established as long as say Mickey Mouse, Marvel, or Snow White. Disney has always been hesitant to act on the success of a character because who wants a whole area dedicate to Princess & the Frog, where Universal is much quicker to act on any brand success because they have fewer brands with the established longevity Disney does. 2 companies in 2 very different positions within the product life cycle.

• Like 1

Potter has a chance (strong) to be in the frontal lobes of many many many people for a long time. A few reasons for this:

The book series is immensely popular. It is written in a way that a young reader can grow up reading the books. As they age, the books age as well. Parents who read the books as youths are now old enough to have children and to pass the books down to their children. Still to this day, if you order the books online from a library, they are on a hold. May not be a long hold, but they are still in demand.

The movie series is similar to the books that they become darker/age as the intended audience does. Harry Potter movies are this generation's Star Wars movies. An epic journey that does not treat the audience as stupid.

Avatar on the other hand is not as strong (read not at all) when it comes to loyal audiences. However, it presents a very unique tail (pun intended?) that fits into what Disney wants from their Animal Park. A pro-conservation + magical creature + unlimited universe spectrum.

• Like 4

Disney World is always improving in some way. Right now they're especially focused on the new DVC property at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, as well as refurbishing a swimming area at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. New Fantasyland and the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa are their most recent and complete editions.

I could agree that Disney World hasn't "stepped it up" as much as Universal has in the theme park area, but that being said:

Disney World is always improving, but they have to improve upon more land as they have more facilities and properties to update than Universal. (i.e. hotels, shopping areas, golf courses, etc.)

• Like 1

Yea I'm not saying at all that Disney has been sitting around doing nothing. They have just been focusing on the guest say as a whole and not attractions. The Fast Pass+ system is supposed to make things easier and streamline visits, refurbing properties and building new resorts, and the new Disney Springs area being worked on. But to the general person looking at where to go for a trip the new attractions are what is going to influence their decision. But the things Disney is doing is why I am able to go there for a week and enjoy myself but I get bored with Universal after a couple days. I might be looking forward tot he new rides at Universal more than Disney but I will be spending much more time at Disney.

And I feel the same about the new Avatarland as thegajone. I liked the movie but wasn't something I couldn't wait to see imported to a park somewhere. However it makes perfect sense at Animal Kingdom. The park is focused on conservation efforts and nature which is what the movie is about. So it will allow for a new land that fits in well. Also with the visuals of the film it could make for an amazing land as well. Just imagine walking through the bioluminescent forest at night, it will be stunning. So I don't think they need to worry too much about the films being a huge lasting success as long as the land is done well it will draw people in to see it. It will also give the park something else for a nighttime aspect. It usually closes early since it is focused so much on animals and they all go to bed early and has no nighttime show yet due to fireworks disrupting them. So having the bioluminescent land, more rides, and the new nighttime river show will allow the park to have a reason to stay open later.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I loved the movie...but I think ultimately, what I liked about the movie and what I'll like about this, is the experience of being in Pandora...not necessarily the story line. Although the storyline was good.

What I absolutely loved was the color and how vivid everything was. The glowing of the world at night blew my mind and I hope that Disney can really copy that.

• Like 1