Halloween Haunt 2011 Review

CoasterGeek101

After a long night of screaming on roller coasters and in haunted houses, I have a review of this year's Halloween Haunt for you guys.

Haunted Houses

Mysteria - Worst haunted house I have ever been in. DO you want to know why? Because it was the SAME thing throughout the entire house. Using the same fencing from Death Row, all it was was a bunch of people in rubber green tight suits jumping out throughout the same thing. No props at all. The only neat thing was this green laser lighting as some parts throughout the maze. Do NOT waste your time on this. Cornstalkers is better than this.

Final Rating - 2

Holiday Horror - I did not get to experience Holiday Horror, but when I do, I will edit my post with the review. From the looks of it, since it is in the Planet Snoopy theater area, it looks quite small and that you could probably go through it very quickly in a bout 2-3 minutes.

Final Rating - Unknown

Nightmare Alley - Obviously this is a new attraction that isn't an attraction. All it is a few people on the path from Carnevil down to Diamondback and then to Holiday Horror. Little to no money was put into this. I think they just wanted to advertise three new attractions this year.

Final Rating - 4

Massacre Manor - One of my favorite haunts. This maze is very well done. Themed to your typical haunted house throughout the maze you encounter different rooms with different crazed people. You also see many pictures of a girl that supposedly haunts the manor. There were a variety of props that looked very professional. Well done Kings Island on Massacre Manor.

Final Rating - 9

Carnevil - My favorite haunt of all eternity. As you go through the maze, you really feel like you are in a carnival that has gone mad. There is even one part where 2 people are camouflaged in color which really makes you jump because you don't see them! And at the end, a room spins! Not really, but you feel like you are spinning and it is really neat. Well done KI.

Final Rating - 10

Wolf Pack - An OK haunt. Not terrible, but could be better. There were some good props in there that were wolves eating humans and that kind of thing. This was in the Son of Beast station which was really neat that they still used that space. This is a haunt that is worth a try.

Final Rating - 7

Cornstalkers - Not really the greatest Haunt. Quite boring. This one takes place in the Paramount Story area. All this one is is a bunch of corn fields on the side and crates were scarecrows are wating to jump out at you. What made it interesting was that some of the scarecrows were hidden in corn and you didn't even see them! This made it kinda fun. OK job KI.

Final Rating - 6

Slaughter House - My second favorite Haunt. A really unique experience. There were a lot of unique props like crazed butchers with cut off legs and that sort of thing. There was even a real surprise at the end which I am not going to tell you, because it will ruin the fun. Good job KI.

Final Rating - 9

Urgent Scare - This is a very Gorey, but fun Haunt. As you go in this one you feel like you are in a hospital that has gone mad. You see a lot of crazed nurses cutting open people's bodies. You really feel like you are getting a virus. Make sure to do this one.

Final Rating - 8

Cut Throat Cove - Didn't get to do this Haunt. By the looks of it it looks like it could be a long Haunt. That is all I can say about this pirate themed one.

Club Blood - To my disappointment, didn't get to do this one. but it looks popular. The line was the longest line on the park for the reason that it is a night club with women in it half dressed.

Tombstone Terror-Tory - Another terrible one. After riding the train and then getting of and then having to wait in another line, just bad. It was the same props used throughout it, which was crates that monsters were hiding behind. It could take an hour to do this one.

Final Rating - 4

That about wraps it up, I might add to this review in the future.

• Like 2

@Jdawg1998 - Yeah! I really wanted to do Club Blood. I will do it first thign the next time I go. Yeah, I just feel they rushed Mysteria.

@Unrealsk8er - Really? It looked like it may be interesting. Then I will only do it if the line isn't bad. I still think it deserved an 8, but yeah, Trail of Terror and Urgent Scare were downgraded because of the stupid DA.

I am working on my update with pictures and videos but could not help to get drawn in here. I had 5 members in a group I was with most the evening at the end of the night I asked what everyone's favorite house was. Surprising no two people agreed on a single favorite and some favorites were others worst and we toured together. I guess what I would like to say we should not advise guest to stay away from certain houses as we may be leading away from something they would really enjoy. I absolutely loved the Holiday Horror Maze last night while others in the group expressed similar remarks that could be found in this thread. The reason I really liked Holiday Horror is because it was themed well and was not like the other houses which to me started to be a repeat with different theme, with the scareactors just screaming at you from around the corner. Holiday Horror as you proceed through the maze you had to think a bit as what holiday you where in and the scareactors said/yelled things that related to that holiday. It was funny cleaver and original to me. I got so used to following a path in the dark like others houses that it was a nice break to have to follow a story line as I went through. To me I see Holiday Horror night getting better and better from its first night ever and I highly suggest everyone go into it with a different mindset to get the most out of it.

Only one we did last night was Wolf Pack, because my daughter wanted to see the Son of Beast up close. It was OK, nothing special.

No line for the Urgent Scare, but she didn't want to do it, as "I don't need to see blood".

Line for Club Blood was just silly.

Did see quite a few of the Pass lanyards around necks.

i do like the haunts, as it makes most rides walk ons.

• Like 1

I was working and it was a hard night at Nightmare Alley. People kept saying it sucked and I agree not a lot of effort was put into our section. I thought working there would be a dream job but right now i kinda regret getting the job. everyone was more instreted in lasers than our maze. A lot of people thought it was funny to mess with us. Also my supervisor wasnt any where near us when we needed her. She ended up pulling me over to tell me im supposed to be saying "Welcome to the freak show" when im the carnie not the barker. I was also in a lot of pain from yelling and when my supervisor pulled me over and asked me what was wrong, she took m,e behind the scenes, called me a whiner, and told me to come back tommorow for haunt. I also found that quite disrespectful. Just wanted top let you guys know how hard it is working haunt and not to mess with us

Avatar, I saw you last night while acting and wanted to say hi. I hope you enjoyed last night with your visit to the cemetary.

I wished you as many did in other areas. I honestly enjoyed everything we did fun night and it seemed to me most of the workers were enjoying themselves.

Did see quite a few of the Pass lanyards around necks.

First night is usually Media Night and they normally get lanyard to gain quick access so they can experience parts of the event then report.

I was working and it was a hard night at Nightmare Alley. People kept saying it sucked and I agree not a lot of effort was put into our section. I thought working there would be a dream job but right now i kinda regret getting the job. everyone was more instreted in lasers than our maze. A lot of people thought it was funny to mess with us. Also my supervisor wasnt any where near us when we needed her. She ended up pulling me over to tell me im supposed to be saying "Welcome to the freak show" when im the carnie not the barker. I was also in a lot of pain from yelling and when my supervisor pulled me over and asked me what was wrong, she took m,e behind the scenes, called me a whiner, and told me to come back tomorrow for haunt. I also found that quite disrespectful. Just wanted top let you guys know how hard it is working haunt and not to mess with us

I enjoyed the area very well and I heard from many KI representatives that more is to be added to that area as haunt continues. If you have an idea about the area suggest it, last night was just the first night and there is usually a learning curve on what works well. Have fun it makes the night go faster.

I was working and it was a hard night at Nightmare Alley. People kept saying it sucked and I agree not a lot of effort was put into our section. I thought working there would be a dream job but right now i kinda regret getting the job. everyone was more instreted in lasers than our maze. A lot of people thought it was funny to mess with us. Also my supervisor wasnt any where near us when we needed her. She ended up pulling me over to tell me im supposed to be saying "Welcome to the freak show" when im the carnie not the barker. I was also in a lot of pain from yelling and when my supervisor pulled me over and asked me what was wrong, she took m,e behind the scenes, called me a whiner, and told me to come back tommorow for haunt. I also found that quite disrespectful. Just wanted top let you guys know how hard it is working haunt and not to mess with us

Is this your first job? Unfortunately being a guest and working it are two different things. Don't throw in the towel just yet. Working it is very tough, I will agree with you there. Give it a chance and don't let the public get you down. There are putzes everywhere-focus on the others. There are guests out there who don't act the way they should, and just like in any other job, you're gonna have that. Stick it out-you know what to expect now.

• Like 2

About Mysteria If i was to rate the the houses Mysteria would be low on my own personal list. Have said that in my opinion it would not be due to the scareactors in the house as they seemed to really be trying to do a good job. The lights were great but it does need more.

At least keep at it until I go through. I think the work will become easier as you go.

tonight was a lot eassier and i got moved around some got lots of scares and now im a semi roamer in the back part of nightmare alley, a lot of people like taking pictures of me, and a guy i was talking with yesterday had quit. i hope it will be just like tonight every night

Had some friends tell me about their trip to KI on Friday night. They're with the media so they got free passes and free Fright Lane passes as well. They got there late so didn't do every house, but did most of them.

Their favorite house was the Slaughter House.

Least favorite was, you guessed it, Mysteria.

They didn't really like Wolf Pack, Tombstone or Corn Stalkers, but did enjoy Urgent Scare, Massacre Manor and Cut Throat Cove.

The rest they didn't get to do because they wanted to ride some rides as well. It really sounds like Mysteria is all around bad from reviews on here and from my friends. I'm probably going to the park this Saturday, and since it will probably be crowded, I'll make sure to hit Slaughter House (since I've mostly heard good things) and skip Mysteria (since I didn't even like it back when it was Death Row).

Welcome to the world of working at KI. :rolleyes: Supervisors there have a tendency to disappear when management isn't around.

CoasterGeek101...thanks for sharing your opinion. It is appreciated! :)

I had 5 members in a group I was with most the evening at the end of the night I asked what everyone's favorite house was. Surprising no two people agreed on a single favorite and some favorites were others worst and we toured together. I guess what I would like to say we should not advise guest to stay away from certain houses as we may be leading away from something they would really enjoy.

As a Fearfest/Haunt veteran I couldn't agree more. I have found that with the Haunts no one agrees on which ones are good and which ones are awful. I have also found that a haunt can change from good to bad from moment to moment. There are so many variables involved. In the early evening some scaractors are still getting in the groove...while others come out of the gate at their best. I also think the day you go to the Haunt is a factor...sometimes haunts get better as time goes on...sometimes worse.

Ringmaster also mentioned in another post that something as simple as where someone is positioned in the group going through the haunt can change your experience.

Haunt trip reports are my favorites here...especially the photo ones...but I do always take each one of them with a grain of salt....I find them very helpful in planning my trip...but I don't take anyones opionion as gospel*.

*The same should not be said for MY trip reports though...you can rest assured that they are 100% accurate! :lol:

its funny how everyoine thought Mysteria was lame, when we went through it we thought it was cool but not scary

Mysteria was bizarro! I definitely didn't think it was scary - but it would have to be one heckuva haunt to scare me.

Thanks for the review now i know what ones to wait for and which ones not to waste my time on cant wait to go only 3 weeks away! Did i mention It will be my first Haunt!

I believe someone else said this in their post in this thread, but please don't let other's opinions sway you from going or not going to a particular haunt. Everyone's tastes are different. I highly recommend getting the Fright Lane pass and going to all to experience them for yourself! ;) (and I didn't mean that to sound as grumpy as it may have come across!)